Search for content in message boards

Mary Majestic from Austria in 1906

Mary Majestic from Austria in 1906

Posted: 3 Sep 2013 8:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Majestic
Mary was born in Austria in 1891 and immigrated to the US in 1906. She was married to Frank LeFors in 1920. They lived out their lives in the Spokane Washington area. I am trying to find who her parents were. Any help would be much appreciated

Re: Mary Majestic from Austria in 1906

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 1:26AM GMT
Perhaps the original spelling was Majetić

This name is either Croatian or Slovenian

Should we assume that you have her ship manifest from 1906? Where did she living between 1906 and 1920?

Robert

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 1:44AM GMT
Sorry I didn't see your post till now!
No I don't have the ship manifest, she was my aunt and the family knew of her being from Austria. Also several census' have her being from Austria and her mother and father also being from Austria.
They spoke Austrian perhaps German. All my Uncles and Aunts are long since gone and there is no one to get info from. Thanks.

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 11:38AM GMT
She is either Slovenian or Croatian. Both countries were under the rule of the old Austro-Hungarian Empire, thus the family story about her being from Austria. On her marriage record her mother's name is given as KLOBUCAR, a very Slovenian or Croatian name... translated it is "someone who makes hats" Many people in both countries could speak either German or Hungarian in addition to their mother tongue.

Most MAJESTIC found in ship manifests are coming from an area in NW Croatia, called Gorski Kotar.

They were married 17 Apr 1916, not 1920 as the family story said.

While the 1920 census gives her immigration year as 1906 the 1930 census gives her immigration year as 1910

Now the question is when did she arrive in the US? The manifest will give her former residence and maybe her birthplace as well as her next of kin.

I leave for a heritage trip to Croatia (which I do every year) tomorrow AM, so you likely will not hear from me until later in the month

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum

Attachments:

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 2:20PM GMT
Hi,

This might be Mary's ship manifest. She's leaving her father Josef Majetic in Vimol?, Austria, coming to Ely, Minnesota to see her uncle Jakob Klobucar:

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=12873...

Here is a link to possibilities for Vimol:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=419&...

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 11:57PM GMT
Thank you Robert, I will wait to hear from you. Klobucar the hat makers, very interesting. Thanks again.
Yes, my mistake! I have tham married in 1916 not 1920, but I did not have the complete date, only the year.

Posted: 12 Sep 2013 12:00AM GMT
Thank you, this is very good information we may now be on the right track!

Posted: 12 Sep 2013 12:34AM GMT
Robert,
The marriage report-----Absolutely wonderful! How in the world did you find it?

Is the Mothers name Klobucher as on the marriage record or is it Klobucar? I remember her accent in the early 1950s as very heavy and in a letter writen by my Grandfather in the late twenties saying she could not speak English. The marriage record recorder would have had a very difficult time getting the information correctly.

Posted: 12 Sep 2013 1:29AM GMT
Sorry but one more small piece of info. I remember when I was a little boy Frank and Mary were talking to me and they were saying how Mary was of royal blood and if I remember correctly that she was related somehow to a king or something like that. I think they were saying that was why the name of Majestic. That was a long time ago when I was about 5 years old.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions