Search for content in message boards

Treadwell in Harford County

Treadwell in Harford County

Lynn Vanderherchen (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2002 4:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Treadwell, Cole, Clark, Magness, Hendon, Bussey, Crue
I am researching the Descendents of James Treadwell from Harford County. James and his wife are buried at St. Ignatius Church. James Tre(a)dwell may be the James Tredwell that served in the War of 1812 in 2nd reg't Schuchts' Maryland Militia as a private.

Jame's son, Augustus Jerome Treadwell, served as an Officer of Registration in the 1st District of Harford County in 1870 - 1872. (Archives of Maryland, vol. 0190, page 2445, volume 0190, p. 2481)

Most of the Treadwell men were millers/millwrights. There are family names such as Clark, Cole, Magness, Lockery, Hendon, Crue, Bussey and others that married into the Treadwell family.

Harford County has a great site!!!!!

Re: Treadwell in Harford County

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 3:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2003 1:56AM GMT
Lynn,
I have one TREADWELL in my database, Henry. I know nothing of Henry's ancestry. All I have is his marriage to Harriet S. BUSSEY on Jan 8, 1849. I found the marriage licsense record in transcribed records of Harford County Circuit Court on microfilm at the MD State Archives.(Microfilm MSA WK 826(2) p 93 line 20). Do you you have Henry in your records?

Harriet is in my line. She was born July 18, 1831. Her parents are Edward F BUSSEY and Julia Ann WHEELER. They are my GGGGrandparents. I am descendant from Harriet's brother, Thomas Wheeler BUSSEY who married Octavia STONEBRAKER. They are burried at St. Ignatius, as well as her parents (STONEBRAKERs).

Have you researched the records of St Ignatius? I have seen the TREADWELL name mentioned. I got carried away at the Archives in Annapolis and made many copies (too many) from microfilm. I can go through them and look if you have not already done so. Let me know.

Mary Ellen

Lynn (Treadwell) Vanderherchen (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2002 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Treadwell, Bussey, Clark, Lockery, Hendon, Cole, and others
According to my records James Henry Treadwell married Harriet Sophia Bussey on Jan. 12, 1849.

He was the son of James and Elizabeth (Cole) Treadwell who married on March 8, 1817 in Harford County.

Frank Treadwell, my father Alvin's 1st cousin, did some research using some records from the St. Ignatius books, censuses, and other records a few years back. He gave me copies of everything that he did.

We are at a loss for records before 1817 from St. Ignatius because the records were destroyed by a fire. (According to Clarence V. Joerndt's book St. Ignatius, Hickory, and Its Missions, p. 54-55). (A well written book!)

On page 144 of same book, Henry Treadwell is listed as a pew holder.

I am interested in any of the treadwell ancestors & descendents.

Some of those who married into the family are:

Harriet Bussey, Benjamin Hendon, Elizabeth Cole, Ida Crue, Annie E. Lockery, Catharine Clark, S. Olivia, Arthur Magness, and a Martha Jane? who married Charles William Treadwell.

Thank you for responding to the message and I will be glad to share anything that I have with you.

P. S. Has anyone ever done a listing of those buried at St. Ignatius Church?

Lynn

Posted: 14 Apr 2002 3:02AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2003 1:56AM GMT
Lynn,
Thanks ! now I have more than just names for Harriett name
You're fortunate that those people shared their research with you. I've heard that a book was written but have not yet begun to run down a copy. Did the author transcribe the church records? I've got quite a few copies of St. Ignatius' records from the micofilm, baptisms, burials, and marriages. Each time I go I try to get at a least a few more pages. I am very slowly putting the data into an Excel spreadsheet so that it can be searched. When I get it done I'll make sure you get a copy.

I don't know if anything has been done about making a list of those buried in the cemetery. That's a good question! Maybe someone at the church or even the Harford County Historical Society in Bel Air knows if anything has been done.

Do you live in the area? I grew up in Perry Hall (Balto. Co.), went to high school in Bel Air (John Carroll HS),college at Towson State, Richmond, Baltimore ... but have been in Anne Arundel Co. (Glen Burnie) for the last 23 years.

I will be in Kernan Hospital all next week. I'm taking my St. Ignatius stuff with me. I'll find all mentions of Treadwell and get back to you next weekend. Til then

Mary Ellen

Lynn Vanderherchen (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2002 5:07AM GMT
Surnames: Treadwell, Bussey, Magness, Hendon, Clark, Crue and others.
I have had the book (St. Ignatius) for about two years. I did a book search and got a used copy. I also have a book on the History of Harford County.

I was born in Baltimore City and then we moved to Baltimore County. I graduated from Dulaney High School in Timonium in 1968.

We live in Richmond Va.

James Treadwell has been a bit of a mystery. He doesn't appear in any census until 1820. He is not related to the Richard Treadwell line that we have been able to find. In the 1850 census he gives his birthplace as Baltimore, Maryland.

He was a miller. Most of his sons were millers also. We do not know which mill he was associated with. There were many gristmills in Harford County.

Looking forward to keeping in touch.

Posted: 16 May 2004 7:51PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2005 4:02PM GMT
Lynn,

Am quite interested in your post of April, 2002. I am descended from a Lockery family in CT, and it is rather a rarae name. I searched on the Hartford site, but, couldn;t locate any info there on that surname.

Can you tell me where I might find these records?

Karen Ledwith Harris (daughter of Grace Lockery)

Posted: 2 Apr 2005 11:15PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2005 4:02PM GMT
Please respond with any further comments to :
RKRHarris3@MSN.COM

Posted: 9 Nov 2005 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2006 6:22PM GMT
I am the ggg grandaughter of Mary Amelia Treadway who was married to James P Monks. I am looking for her family information. I know her parents were Edward Treadway and Nancy Magness. If this fits in with your Treadways, let me know.

Posted: 5 Jul 2006 5:53PM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2006 10:22AM GMT
I'm a direct line descendant of Col. Ignatius Wheeler Sr. and Jr.

So far, I only have that Julia Ann Wheeler's (who m. Edward F. Bussey) father was a Thomas Wheeler (b. May 19, 1755 MD; d. Mar 16, 1809 MD). I don't have who Julia's mother was. Do you know her mother's name? Do you know who Thomas Wheeler's parents were?

Posted: 30 Nov 2006 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: TREADWELL, HENDON
I have Elizabeth Ann Treadwell (1817-ca1860) m. Benjamin Hendon (1816-1874) 3 Jan 1839 in Harford County. Children: James Thomas Hendon b. 28 Sep 1839; Henry B. C. Hendon b. 28 Aug 1841; Mary Elizabeth Hendon b. 8 May 1854; and Laura C. Hendon b. 24 Jul 1855.

Would like to share/compare info. I can provide much on Benjamin's ancestors.

Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions