Search for content in message boards

Camp Higby, Big Moose Lake, NY

Camp Higby, Big Moose Lake, NY

Posted: 24 Dec 2001 1:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
I saw a 1906 postcard with a picture of "Camp Higby," an Adirondack style building, actually in Herkimer Co., but near the Lewis Co. border, near the town of Lowville. Anyone know anything about which Higby was involved with this?

Re: Camp Higby, Big Moose Lake, NY

Posted: 26 Dec 2001 1:55PM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2003 11:24PM GMT
James Higby built Camp Higby ca. 1890. Married to Francena Sperry - son Roy ran the hotel until torn down in the 1960's.

Posted: 26 Dec 2001 5:23PM GMT
Thank you so much for your response. I am not familiar with James. Do you know from which of the early Higbys he descends?

Posted: 24 Jun 2002 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Higby-MacKay
Roy C. Higby wrote a book on the Higby Camp. He was related to Royal Cornelius Higby who may have been his great great grandfather...I will be tracing the Higby's from Cornelius McKelvy Higby in the near future. Roy is a short distance Great Uncle of mine I believe... I am working on the actually link as I write this. Feel free to visit my family tree here on Ancestry.com called Higby-MacKay.

Posted: 24 Jun 2002 7:08PM GMT
Thank you, Maggie. I will look for your site. I descend from Edward through John, Edward.....to Jeduthan Sr. and Jeduthan Jr. Higby.

SHEILAH LAVELLE (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2002 1:00AM GMT
Surnames: higby
Have you found any mention of Jeduthan Higfby I, II or III?

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Higby
No one has posted Royal Cowell Higby's grandparents yet, that I can find. I do know the ancestry of the Jeds I, II and III (III died as an infant, as I recall). Are you descended from the Jeduthans? There was a Jeduthan from Canaan, CT, but he is not in my direct line. Jed II was born in Middletown, CT, in 1788, but he went with his family to Turin, NY about 1802. And later left there and went to Virginia, where he married two more times. My g-grandmother Adah Belle was his last child.

sheilah lavelle (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2002 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: higby
Jeduthan Higby married one of my great great great granparents' daughters, Is he the one that was the preacher who left his family and headed south with the church money? His wife was Florinda Ragan.

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 6:29PM GMT
Surnames: Higby, Larue, Easter
Well, that is one of the stories. But the older members of my family have nothing but good to say about him and deny he could ever have done anything like that. If you have more info on this, I'm dying to hear it. It is the major mystery of that line of the family. Dr. Schweitzer told me that Jed clearly took himself out of the path of migration by going south instead of west, perhaps because he didn't want to be found by any of the family later on. One other thing I noticed, which may have nothing to do with it--in a book of the history of Lewis Co., which mentions the Jeds as ministers, there is a photo of a man named Easter. Jed, Jr. married Barbara Easter when he went south, but she was apparently from VA. She died soon after their son, Davis K., was born and then he married Prudence Marple Larue, a widow. Every summer he took off to "trade with the Indians." I have always wondered if we went to visit his first family at that time. Do you have any insight?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic