Search for content in message boards

Update on the message board cookies on the RootsWeb side...

Update on the message board cookies on the RootsWeb side...

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 11:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
About a year ago many of us were posting on this board about non-functioning Prefs cookies on the RootsWeb side of the boards. The Ancestry side worked fine but all this time I had not beeing able to use anything BUT the default settings on the RootsWeb side. Well...for unrelated reasons I cleared all of my cookies, browser history, etc. today and thought I'd give it a try again...and the cookies are now working find on the RootsWeb side! I have no idea when they fixed it but I assume it will work now for anyone who perfers using the RootsWeb interface but gave up on it because of the cookie issue. But you have to delete the old cookies to get it to work.

Joan

Re: Update on the message board cookies on the RootsWeb side...

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 8:52PM GMT
Darn it all...the cookie held for precisely ONE DAY and now it is broken again.

Joan

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 9:07PM GMT
As the Staff admin a year ago is no longer on the team can you provide a few more details for me? I only use the RootsWeb interface and never have had a problem with cookies. I'm not doubting that the cookies could be corrupted but I'm trying to isolate what is the common factor that this happens with some people but not everyone. Thanks.

-RWAdmin
boards@ancestry.com
messageboards@rootsweb.com

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 9:14PM GMT
It is the PREFS cookie for the rootsweb.boards.com site that is corrupted. I had no problem a year ago when others started posting about it on this board (there are a few old threads on this topic). It started for me when for unrelated reasons I cleared all old cookies. Then I saw what others had been complaining about...you can't get any settings for your preferences on how boards display to hold other than the default of 10 messages per page, thread view. If you select flat view and click you get it but oldest first...if you then select newest first from the menu it reverts to thread view...it makes it impossible to view some messages in a lengthy thread.

When I view the cookies for PREFS on the Ancestry side and on the RootsWeb side of the boards they should be the same except for the URL --- but they are not. The Ancestry cookie works but the RootsWeb one does not. For whatever reason when I cleared out cookies last night it worked for that browser session but today it isn't holding again.

Joan

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 9:18PM GMT
Here is one thread from before I had the problem...this is when it was first reported:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=11575&a...

Joan

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 9:23PM GMT
And here is the later lengthy thread I started when I began having the problem...I reported in this thread how the Ancestry and RootsWeb side prefs cookies differ:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=12010&a...

Joan

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 9:55PM GMT
Thanks. As was shown in the past threads, there appears to be something that is interfering with the browser updating the cookie or clearing it out when you run a general clear cache and cookies. Unfortunately, there are too many variables that differ between users who experience this or do not experience it for the developers to nail down what it is aside from not being from the Ancestry.com server.

In the past, the bad cookie was keeping a setting from the past (I think a thread said Dec 2011 with it expiring the same day but further into the future). So, any attempts to change the settings to the boards were not being saved. Again, as shown on the past threads, for those that didn't have the problem, when they made a change, it updated not only those changes but the expiration updated to the current day but 20 or so years into the future.

Neither I nor the developers were able to duplicate this. We tried all the supported browsers (Firefox, IE, Chrome) and in Windows, Mac, and Linux. Using all the mainstream security programs (MacAfee, Norton, AVG, etc). So we're stumped on what other combinations we could try.

So, a shot in the dark, the bad PREFS cookie isn't deleting when you tell the browser to clear all cookies. But, you also have the options to view and delete specific cookies individually without touching any. I find this easiest in Firefox and Chrome. Since you said you don't use Chrome but use Firefox I will explain it out for Firefox so we can do the same steps you and I. Most of this will be overkill but I've never believed computers to be intelligent or perfect ;) so I usually do some overkill steps just to be safe.

1) Only have one web page open and have it be anything EXCEPT Ancestry.com or RootsWeb. The reason is that we want the browser to be finished with the cookies for Ancestry/RootsWeb. Extra overkill is to sign out of both sites and then leave them completely.
2) In the Firefox Options window go to the Privacy tab.
3) Click on the Individual cookies link.
4) Search and delete manually every cookie involved with anything with Ancestry.com or RootsWeb.
5) Close the browser completely and then open it again. Check the individual cookies again to make sure there isn't anything with RootsWeb or Ancestry.com there.
6) Go to the boards at RootsWeb and login and make your settings.
7) Close the browser completely (you can even check your Task manager to make sure all instances of Firefox are gone.
8) Open again try the boards again. Check and send me what the PREFS cookie says.

Thanks for the patience. I'm doing the same on a separate computer not connected to the corporate internet connection.

RWAdmin
boards@ancestry.com
messageboard@rootsweb.com

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 10:18PM GMT
test post. settings from outside connection. settings saved. signing out and starting with step number one.

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 10:23PM GMT
Just before step one for reference: My PREFS cookie:

Name: PREFS
Content: LVT=flat (that's the change I made so it saved)
Host: boards.rootsweb.com
Path:/
Send for: Any type of connection.
Expires: Tuesday, October 19, 2032 4:17:43 PM (that looks good. 20 years to the second that i made the change.) No, starting with step one.

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 10:24PM GMT
Post step 5) no cookies for Ancesty.com or RootsWeb. As expected. No settings saved. Logging in and making a different change.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions