Search for content in message boards

Hosner, Prusch, Varga, Stieve

Hosner, Prusch, Varga, Stieve

Posted: 18 Sep 2013 1:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hosner, Prusch, Varga, Stieve
Looking for info on my great and great great grandparents born in the Austrian empire in towns that are in present day Hungary. Andras Hausner ( Andrew Hosner) married Elisabeth Varga and had Rudolf Hausner ( Rudolph Hosner) baptized in fuenfkirchen. They came to America in the 1880s and settled in Duryea PA.

Anton Prusch married Anna Stieve and also settled in Duryea PA and had a child Christine Prusch.

Re: Hosner, Prusch, Varga, Stieve

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 5:10PM GMT
Fuenfkirchen is the German name for the city of Pecs in Hungary, which was always in Hungary, and still is. Beautiful old cathedral for which the town is named in German (literally five churches, but in this case, the church has five spires).

This baptism (familysearch.org) might match, but Elizabeth's name is given as Julianna, and the baptism took place elsewhere:

Name: Rudolf Hausner
Event Type: BAPTISM
Event Date: 19 Oct 1885
Event Place: Szabolcs, Baranya, Hungary
Father's Name: Andras Hausner
Mother's Name: Julianna Varga
Line Number: 198
GS Film number: 601952
Digital Folder Number: 4552896
Image Number: 420

The 1900 census suggests that another son, Andreas, was also born in Hungary. There is a passenger record for Andrew in 1927 which suggests a trip back to Europe and he indicates there that he was born in Fuenfkirchen.

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 5:19PM GMT
Thank you Eileen. I did happen to have this record. Andreas is Rudolfs older brother. He took a trip back after his wife died.Once in America their mother went by the name of Elizabeth and on one census she was Julia. It seems she went back and forth. Their father, is also Andrew Hosner but he seemed to die shortly after arriving.Is the town listed on the baptism certificate near Funfkirchen? This part of my family tree confuses me because they say they are German and spoke German but clearly lived and was born in Hungary. Also on one census they claimed they spoke Slavish.There were many Germans living in Hungary? Are they German or Hungarian?

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 5:20PM GMT
Thank you Eileen. I did happen to have this record. Andreas is Rudolfs older brother. He took a trip back after his wife died.Once in America their mother went by the name of Elizabeth and on one census she was Julia. It seems she went back and forth. Their father, is also Andrew Hosner but he seemed to die shortly after arriving.Is the town listed on the baptism certificate near Funfkirchen? This part of my family tree confuses me because they say they are German and spoke German but clearly lived and was born in Hungary. Also on one census they claimed they spoke Slavish.There were many Germans living in Hungary? Are they German or Hungarian?

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 5:29PM GMT
They are ethnic Germans living in Hungary. My family was the same. Huge ethnic German population in the Austro-Hungarian empire. The town of Rudolf's baptism is in the same county (Baranya) as Pecs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baranya_County

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baranya_County_(former)

It is right down on the border with what is now Croatia

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 5:47PM GMT
I saw something that said Szabolcs and Baranya are both counties. Im just not sure which name to list as place of birth, the actual town. Is that Funefkirchen (pecs)??

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 6:04PM GMT
Szabolcs is also a county, but in the northeastern part of the country. You are looking at the town of Szabolcs, Baranya County which is near Pecs, but not in it.

http://www.hungarianvillagefinder.com/HVFIndex2/06_BARANYA.h...

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 6:19PM GMT
Oh, I see, it is a county and a town. I wonder why his older brother listed his place of birth as Fuenfkirchen and not Szabolcs. Maybe they were both born/baptized in 2 different towns.

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 6:36PM GMT
Szabolcs was probably such a small village, that he just named the nearest largest town. It is also possible that Andreas was baptized in Pecs, as I don't find his baptism in the Szabolcs records available online.

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 6:45PM GMT
I cant find much on his parents either on family search. I never did find their ship manifest after all this time. Apparently they arrived here from 1887-1890. Well the 1890 census I believe was destroyed and the next one I found is 1900. Unfortunately according to the city directory for Duryea PA by 1893 Julianna was listed as a widow so Andrew, the father, never made it to the 1900 census so I cant confirm a year of birth or place of birth. On the 1900 census though Julianna was supposedly born in 1861 Austria. It also says she had 13 kids and 3 survived.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic