Search for content in message boards

Hart, Oklahoma

Hart, Oklahoma

K Louise (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2005 2:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lanham, Underwood, Tyson, Harris, Ingram, Blevins, Crawford
Hart, Oklahoma
Hart, 3 miles southwest of Vanoss. Had a post office from June 28,1894 to Sept. 30, 1920. It was named for John A. Hart, the first postmaster.
Hart was located on the Big Sandy Creek, twenty miles southwest of Ada. The Hart Community was named after John A. Hart, the first postmaster of the area. The Post Office was established June 28, 1894 and served the community until September 30, 1920. Other postmasters throught the years were William S. Lindsay, Daniel F. Estes, India Lindsay and Benjamin C. Davis.
The Hart School board was composed of W.F. Eaves, J.H. Southerland, J.M. Thompson, A.H. White, W.W. Simmons, Grant Johnson, W.B. Hoover, A.L. Griffith, Gilbert Burkhart, H.C. Fillmore, S.S. Summers, and George Wright. The Hart community had two schools, one was located in the downtown area. The other Hart School #2 was built three miles away for the children in the outlying areas. Among the teachers who taught at Hart were; J.A. Bohannon, Phillip McLachian, E. Roper, George Hawkins, B.A. Howard, Mary Nichols, Lou Willie Bradford, Mrs. Sada Lamb, Mrs. Beeler, Ida Mae Wilson, Reuben Wilson, Lilla Wilson, Bernice Bradford, Maude Southerland, Annice Hardin, C.B. Tiffin, W.V. Stanfield, J.C. Potts, Opal Morgan, Jewell
Morgan, Tillman Morgan, James E. Rogers, Dovie Lynch, Stella Collier, Lula Hull, Velma Stanfield, Cleo Huffines, William O. Huffines, Nell Bunyard, Thelma Smith, Willena Jenks. Mrs. and Mrs. A.W. Brown, John B. and Ruby Holmes, Mrs Hassell Brown, Ambrose H. White. Rosa Jane Wright(student aid). The Hart School close April 9, 1949.
Physicians who served the Hart community were Dr. Tucker, Dr. Cooper, Dr. Davis, Dr. J.A. Upshaw, Dr. J.W. Herman. In 1901 there were two drug stores managed by S.C. Davis, Mr. Hart, Mr. Hall. In 1902 S.C.(Samuel Colbert, son of John L. Davis and Harriet Fulsom) Davis was the only one in operation with Hart having a population of 150 with four General Stores, Childress and Wright, Coulson Brothers, Thomas Harvey, and Hall and Lindsay, Mr. J.W. Hart had a grocery store which later was owned by J.A. McConnel, Hall and Lindsay and Williams and Son. But by 1918 the population was 32 and only one general store which was operated by Davis and Watson.
The people of Hart got their news from the newspapers of Roff. which was first published in 1901. It was called the Roff Tribune, published by Joseph T. Roff. I.G. Douglas published the paper in 1902-1903 and sold it to J.C. Winn. Winn sold it to Parson Caves who changed the nameto the Roff Trademark. In 1905 John Casteel was the owner and editor, his co-editor was John Duran and in 1906 the editor and publisher was George H. Phillips. Roff Enterprise which was change by 1909 to The Roff Oklahoma Eagle with William Felter as the editor and manager. The paper was published every Thursday and sold for one dollar a year. In
1920 W.T. Morris became the publisher and the name became The Roff Eagle. In 1926 Leonard Crowder puchased the paper and renamed it The Blue Valley Farmer. The next owner was L.N. Sheldon. In 1933 with John R. Thacker as editor and owner the the Roff newspaper became The Roff Herald..
The only thing that is left in Hart is the cemetery. The cemetery is taken care of by donations from the relatives of people buried there. Each Spring there is a clean-up.
Note: Sharon Burnett Crawford <mailto:scburn@mmcable.com>
People who lived in the Hart community: W.G. Walls, J.H. Southerland, Henry C. Fillmore, J.M. Thompson, N.M. Hays, William Tabor, Andrew J. Wright, C.W. Posey, Ben Franklin Burnett, W.F. Eaves, Ben Allen, Charley Rogers, India Lindsey, Roy Thompson, Howard Stewart, Mrs. R.H. Pirtle, G. W. Lunsford, J.J. Hart, Rufus M. Burnett.
(http://www.rootsweb.com/~okpontot/pontowns.html)

Hope this helps you connect somehow. My Lanham Family lived in Center, Wynnewood, Pauls Valley and Maxwell.

Happy hunting the happy hunting ground---

Re: Hart, Oklahoma

Posted: 16 Jan 2005 9:11PM GMT
Edited: 21 Mar 2005 2:24PM GMT
thanks for the info on hart okla. my sanders--smith families lived in maxwell twp in 1910

Posted: 18 Feb 2005 5:47PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2005 12:49AM GMT
I am curious as to the J.A. McConnell that owned the Grocery Store in Hart. I am decendent of Philo McConnell, who grew up in Hart. Any more info?

Tina (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2006 7:25PM GMT
Does anyone know the names of the postmasters children? I have a Mrytle Hart Kaiser that I have been looking for her parents for awhile now.

Posted: 4 Aug 2008 3:29AM GMT
Can you tell me the years that William S Lindsay was postmaster? Wondering if its the same as the William S. I have been looking for!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions