Search for content in message boards

African-American Cargiles' of Monticello

African-American Cargiles' of Monticello

Posted: 2 Mar 2003 8:10PM GMT
Classification: Query

Does anyone have any information on the family of Mitchell Cargile (abt.1831) and Emma (abt. 1835). They had 8 children named, Louis, Zeb, Mitchell, Charles, John, Howard, Missouri, and Eveline. The family later moved to Atlanta, which showed some worked as carpenters, and undertakers, and owned M & LH Cargile. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

LaVerne Cargile
Great-Great Granddaughter of Mitchell Cargile

Re: African-American Cargiles' of Monticello

Posted: 10 Sep 2007 8:33PM GMT
I came across your post while searching for some historical sites in downtown Atlanta. Mitchell Cargile is referenced with some respect by a reporter for the Atlanta Constitution on 7/19 of 1881 (See "Atlanta and Its Environs" Vol. 2, page 25)

The reference places his undertaking business in a "rear room of the Willingham building". The reporter refers to the "kind-hearted old undertaker" later identified by Franklin Garrett as Mitchell Cargile. I have not been able to find any information on the Willingham Building, but based on this article it was near the NE corner of Decatur and Ivy (now Decatur and Peachtree Center Avenue).

The 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance map shows the Paris Hotel and the Yancy Building at that location 5 years later, and it is possible that these were once called the Willingham Building, but I can't confirm that.

The reporter goes on to describe this area in unappealing terms. The juke joints house in that building or adjacent to it acquired the names "Ant Hole" and "Beaver Slide" (apparently not the same "Beaver Slide" located near Spellman in the early 1900s). (For more on the former, check out http://www.earlyblues.com/essay_peg%20leg%20howell.htm)

I hope this is helpful.

Posted: 11 Sep 2007 3:51AM GMT

Thank you very much. This is very helpful, anything on my ancestors is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 2:38PM GMT
Do you have copies of Mitchell Cargile's 1896 obituary and funeral notice? If not, I can send them to you.

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 12:47AM GMT
I would appreciate the information very much. Do you know much about this family? Do you live in Jasper Cty?

Posted: 31 Jul 2010 7:27PM GMT
I've attached three files. I don't have any information about Jasper....
Attachments:

Posted: 1 Aug 2010 4:01AM GMT
Thank you so much.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 10:37PM GMT
Hi, Leverne...I have been researching the Cargiles for a friend of mine. Please email me. Are you in Atlanta? It
would be interesting to talk to you.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 9:09PM GMT
My name is Rosilind Jones. I am Laverne's cousin. Please contact me at 678-276-9296 and I will give you her number. Thanks

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 2:58PM GMT
Hi Rosilind, I think you meant to send this email to truvieharris. See her link on the list of messages asking Leverne to call her. I sent the three articles to Leverne.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic