Search for content in message boards

Ever Heard of "Dark Hollar" Tn?

Ever Heard of "Dark Hollar" Tn?

J. Hutchison (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2006 2:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hutchison, Hutchinson, Hutcheson, Hutchenson
My Grandparent's names were Rev. Johnny O. Hutchison and Folssie Mae Hutchinson. My father said that Dark Hollar was the next ridge over from where he was raised, which was Hickory Valley. He said if you shot out the back of the property you would hit Dark Hollar. Unfortunately he didn't know too much about it other than he had heard of Grady & Della Hutcheson as well as Earl Hutcheson. But he was just a boy and didn't know them personally but he had heard of them.

I too have been doing some searching the Hutchison lines and the biggest things I found out was the family trees didn't fork enough! Especially in my case. My grandma's maiden name was Hutchinson and she married my grandpa Johnny who's name is spelled Hutchison. Which is also how I spell my Surname.

I do know that my father said that there are several ways of spelling the Surname and they are all related one way or another. I don't know how much I can help but if I can please let me know. I will try to.

Re: Ever Heard of "Dark Hollar" Tn?

Posted: 16 Jul 2006 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Loy
"Dark Hollar" is the pronunciation of the written word "Dark Hollow." Those that don't have the Appalachian English dialect would pronounce it "Dark Hollow" too. My mother's family, her parents having the same surname before marriage, had "Surratt Hollow" in southern Illinois. I didn't know until a teen that it was written "Hollow" and not "Holler" or "Hollar". In Loretta Lynn's country song "Coal Miner's Daughter," it mentions "Butcher Hollar" which would be written "Hollow."

As for Dark Hollow itself, I just know by the census that it was near Loys Crossroads (a/k/a "Loyston") in old District 8. District 8 was later changed to 4 by the 1930 census before the TVA came through and flooded the area. In the 1930 census, many of my paternal grandmother's distant Loy cousins lived on Dark Hollow Road in "old District 8, new 4th." It is possible the area of Dark Hollow could have been included in parts of other ajoining districts, but I do know at least part of it was in old 8. The only Hickory Valley I'm aware of, Hickory Valley Road, was in nearby Anderson Co. In the 1930 your grandfather was living in District 4, but it was part of old 7th District, in Union Co.

Many of the Loys and Loy descendants married Union Co., TN Hutchisons (and variant spellings), so that is how I'm connected to many with that surname.

Gail Hutchison (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2006 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hutcheson,Hutchinson,Koontz
I love the posts about Dark Holler!
I'm so glad I found this board.Can anybody tell me how the Hutchisons of Dark Holler(or anywhere else in Union County)are related to Maston and Martha Jane?
They were my Great-Great Grandparents.Their son,Daniel was my Dad's Father.
Also,if anybody knows anything about the hauntings from Nancy,I sure would be obliged to hear the facts behind the "Ghost Tour" legend.
You're a great bunch of people.Thanks for any help.

Anji LaRue (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2006 6:23PM GMT
J. Hutchison,
Dark Hollow is an area in Andersonville, TN. My Dad grew up there, the easiest way to get there is take Hyw 61 or Andersonville Hwy through the town of Andersonville NE towards Big Ridge State Park,(there are signs along the way) go 8 to 10 miles, you will see Norris lake on your left, Dark Hollow Rd is the 1st Rd on your right, Hwy 61 continues up the valley. Dark Hollow Rd turns right into Mt. Olive Rd, this is also what is known as Dark Hollow, As far as I know this is "THE" Dark Hollow in Andersonville. The only thing is, it is not across the ridge from Hickory Valley, there is a valley between, known as Bryams Fork Creek, I hope this sheds some light for you. I too am related to the Hutchison's by way of my ggrandmother, Martha Hutchison, her father was James Calloway Hutchison and her mother was Elizabeth Graves. Again I hope this helps you in some way.

Anji

Jo Hutchison (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2006 3:04AM GMT
I stand corrected. I had forgotten about Bryams fork. I didn't grow up here in Tennessee. I grew up in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I still have a bit of difficulty getting around out in the country.

My father has a hard time remembering things too. He's knocking on 80 and his memory isn't what it once was.

You said that you are kin to the Hutchison's, which set? Both of my granparents had that name. My grandmother was a Hutchinson, and grandfather was a Hutchison. So you can see where some of the confusion comes from. Try running down this family tree!

My grandfather was the late Rev. Johnny O. Hutchison. His father was "Captian" William Hutchison, Captain in the Civil War I believe as it is told to me. My father Clifford E. "Gene" Hutchison and his baby brother Roy E. "Buddy" Hutchison are the only ones living in his family.

I'll ask him if he has ever heard of your family members and get back with you on it.

Thanks for the answer.
Jo

Anji LaRue (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2006 12:52AM GMT
Jo,
I am related through my greatgrand mother, Martha Hutchison DeMarcus, she married Edmund Ross DeMarcus. Martha's parents were James Calloway Hutchison and Elizabeth Graves, they also had, William A. Hutchison,Henry G., Rhoda, Sarah Elizabeth, Luke, Mary Anna, Laura J., Lydia B. and John H.Hutchison. James Calloway Hutchison was the son of William Hutchison and Elizabeth "Betsy" McCoy they also had Martha Jane Hutchison,George "Whiskey" "Red" Hutchison, Asberry Hutchison and Amanda Hutchison. Keep in mind all of this info came from someone else, so I don't take this as 100%, but I do believe it to be true based on stories I've heard and names mentioned in my childhood. I don't know if these are the same branch as your family, but my Hutchison's lived in the same area. See if your Dad remembers any Warwick's from Dark Hollow, they also lived on "the Creek" (Bryams Fork). I atleast hope I helped you find Dark Hollow.

Anji

Jo Hutchison (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2006 4:39AM GMT
Anji,

I know we aren't kin on my grandfather Johnny's side. However, I think we may have a connection through my grandmother Flosie Mae Hutchison.

My father's Mother Flossie is the daughter of George "Red or Redfaced" a.k.a "Little George", George M. Hutchison. Daddy said he very well could be the one on your list because he had a tendency to hit the bottle a bit. George married America Paralee Taylor (she went by her middle name), they had four children Stella, Flossie Mae, and Dossie, (these were twin girls),and William Henry.

George's siblings that I know of from what Daddy told me a long time ago...Joshua, James, Otis, Will, Maggie. Some of these names could very well be middle names as well as nicknames. He wasn't too sure it was just what he always called them.

George's parents were Henry B. "Coon" Hutchison & Mary Fielding could have been second wife.Mary's parents were I believe...Dempsy and Elizabeth Fielding.

George's second wife was Ellie Graham.They had no children.

He did say that he remembers the name Warwick in Dark Hollow. But he couldn't tell me the first names to save his life.

So I hope we can find a connection some where. Dad always told me we were all kin to each other. But there were about five different sets and they are all related. I would love to hear more of your set if or when you get a chance. Do you still live in TN? I'm near Harbinson Crossroads. I would be nice to swap notes sometime. I'll let you know the next time we have a Hutchison reunion and you can meet the rest of the clan. There is a bunch of us. My grandfather Johnny was married twice and has two sets of children. His first wife was Sarah Weaver.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Jo

Anji LaRue (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2006 2:30PM GMT
Jo,
I've checked what info I have and I don't find any connection, I show George "Red" Hutchison being born Feb 23, 1862 in Union Co. TN and Death Nov.7 1960 in Union Co. he was married to Elizabeth Fraker according to what I have I don't have a list of Children, so I don't know if we are talking about the same group or not, they are probably related somehow, but I don't know how. Please contact me directly, I have a few more names you may be familiar with my e-mail address is ladylarue1@webtv.net

Thanks,
Anji

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 4:16AM GMT
Hi.. Just wanted to add to this. I currently live on Dark Hollow Rd N which turns left just past Norris Lake (coming from the Clinton/I-75 area). Dark Hollow Road S turns right.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions