Search for content in message boards

Need help locating your Finnish roots?

Need help locating your Finnish roots?

Posted: 10 Jun 2006 8:13PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
This post was deleted by the author on 28 Jul 2014 10:05AM GMT

Re: Need help locating your Finnish roots?

Stanislav Hatala (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2006 9:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

I´m interested in my ancestors names HATALA, HATTALA, HATALLA. Could
you do me a favour and answer my several question?
1/ What exactly /or in a free way/ does the word hatala mean /with
or without the dots above each "a" ?
2/ Do you think that the name or the clan Hatala exists/appears in
Finland? If it does, do you think that the name Hatala came from
Finland to Slovakia or from Slovakia to Finland?
3/There is a town Hatala in Finland. Could the name be translated to
English or is it related to something?
Thank you in advance for your kindness and for your eventual e-mail.

Regards,
Stanislav Hatala
hatala@art.sk

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2006 6:10PM GMT
I have 7 generations of my fathers mothers side of my Finnish family. I am wondering if you or anyone can help me learn more.
Pekka Laajal do Dec 27, 1939. Her parents were Hilma Paananen and someone named Laajala. ?
Other surnames: Piispanen Paananen, Himanka, Hakkarainen Heinonen, Kahelin, Karkinen, Kinnunen, Leppanen, Makiaho, Muhonen, Nelson, Nikkarikoski, Orava, Paavola, Pekkarinen, Petila, Rekonen, Tuickainen, Turpeinen, Urpalainen
Both of my grandparents were born in Finland. My grandmother on Feb 17, 1888 in Kivijarvi, to Lars Piispanen and Karoline Kinnunen, she had 4 siblings Einar, Wilho, Aliina, and Impi(the only one I ever met). Lars parents were Elias Piisapnen and Ebba Kahelin

Hope this isn't to confusing. Just listed the other names so it may be easier to see a connection. Any help with them would be great, but its really Laajala (Pekka) and her family that I am interested in mostly.

Thank you so much for any help available.
Barbara.

Unkka (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2006 11:30AM GMT
I will reply to you shortly. My Internet is working poorly but hopefully it will be fixed soon.
I from Central Finland myself and already recognised some of the names.

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2006 1:39PM GMT
Thank you Unkka, I will wait . I know how frustrating it can be when the internet acts up. I've had that experience myself.

Barbara in MA USA

Posted: 28 Jun 2006 2:33PM GMT
Hi!
Could you give me some more places? Unfortunately the town of Kivijärvi only has (free & public) records only from 1737 to 1858. If you have names from that time, I might be able to help.
About the names you gave in the previous message I can say that Petilä does not exist that would be Pietilä and Tuickainen would these days most likely be Tukiainen. (and I don't know if it was just a typo but Pekka Laajala was a male)

You can email more info to: unkka@osoite.zzn.com

Unkka

Posted: 28 Jun 2006 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: Nyström, Soldan
Hello Unkka,

I am looking for the following family in Helsinki or in Helsingin.

Gustaf Adolf Nyström, born on 26th of January 1868 Helsingin maalaiskunta (Tikkurila), died 7th of July 1921 (Tikkurila)
Anna Katarina Nyström (maidenname Soldan), born on 27th of July 1860 in Liminka, died 24th of December 1935 (Tikkurila)

Gustaf and Anna were married in Helsinki on 20 July 1890. Their son, Gustaf Edvard Nyström (b 18 Jan 1891 Helsingin) immigrated to America in 1909.

I would appreciate knowing where the Nyströms were living in or around Helsinki until their deaths in 1921 and 1935.

Also, I do not have parents names for Gustaf Adolf Nyström (b. 1868 Helsingin) or Anna Katarina Soldan (b. 1860 Liminka). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Wilma

Posted: 16 Oct 2006 5:44AM GMT
Surnames: Haanpaa, Jussila and Saukkola, Backman
Katarina Sofia Saukkola of Oulu, born about 1875?
She was married to Jaakko Backman, born about 1865, Oulu, and he died abt 1889, leaving her alone with two childen.
Katarina, son Jaako (born abt 1888, Finlan), and daughter Ida (born September 6, 1887 all emmigrated to US about 1890.
I know nothing about Katarina's parents or siblings, nor Jaako Backman! Help would be wonderful!

The other family I would like to know more about is Haanpaa. (sometimes Heilala in earlier days???) Iisakki Haanpaa, born 1-1-1880 in Tuomykilla to Johan Mattson Haanpaa and Kaisa Matsdotter. Iisakki and Kustaava Kotamahki were his godparents, and the priest was c.r. forsman. He emmigrated to US April 2, 1903.
He left behind his blind father (so we were told?) and a brother (unknown given name), born about 1878 and died Vaasa Tuomi Kasarminkatu about 1972.
My great uncle that stayed in Finland had one child that I know of named Elma Matilda, born about 1901, vaasa Tuomi K...... and she married Yrjo Jussila, b about 1900, d. 1975 vaasa, tuomi K. They also had one child that I've heard of, Simo Jussila, b. about 1930 vaasa Tuomi K...., but I don't know anything else or how to make contact if he is alive or any of his family still? Or did Elma or son Simo have any siblings?
thank you for any help!

Posted: 16 Oct 2006 5:28PM GMT
This is what I found out.
Unfortunately the Internet records of Oulu go only till mid 1700s so they aren't much help but I found the passport records of Katarina Sofia. (a rough translation)

Surname Bäckman
First names Katarina Sofia
Other names *
Date of birth . .1875
Marital status 3 [a widow]
Religion Lut.
Profession widow of painter
Hometown Oulu
Province OU
Date of passport 23.09.1913
Number of passp. 1631
Duration of passp. (year:month) 5:0
Target Country America
Granter of passp. OU

There was no records of Ida or Jaakko but they could have been travelling on their mother's passport (though it wasn't on the records).
I can't tell you anything about people post 1900 because our privacy laws restricts the info to be found online.

About Iisakki Haanpää:

Surname Haanpää
First names Isak
Age or age group 23
Place of departure Hanko
Target place Virginia
Target State MN
Target Country USA
Price of trip FIM 349
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Departure day (Finland) 04.02.1903
Ship from England St. Paul
Departure day (England) 14.02.1903
Ocean line American Line

Hope there is at least some new info for you!

Unkka

brenda (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 10:17PM GMT
thank you!
Interesting that Katarina's spouse was a painter!?! Of houses..or artist??!!
Is there any way to find out what her maiden name was, or any info about her deceased spouse, etc?
thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions