Search for content in message boards

Carrolls of Halifax, Nova Scotia

Carrolls of Halifax, Nova Scotia

Shirley Campbell (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2000 4:27PM GMT
Margaret Catherine Carroll born in Gays River, Nova Scotia on July 3, 1876. Her parents were John Carroll and Alice E. Cole. She married John Starbird of Springfield, Maine on February 2, 1900 in Boston, MA. Has anyone heard of Gays River? I have been unable to even find it on a map. She died in Lowell, MA in 1964. Any information regarding her family in Nova Scotia would be very much appreciated.

Carroll's Gay's River, N.S.

Wendy Sansom (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2000 5:03PM GMT
Gay's River is between Truro Halifax but it's very small so would not be on the map.

Carroll's of Gay's River, Nova Scotia

Joan Ramsey (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2000 2:55PM GMT
Re John Carroll and Alice E. Cole. He was the son of John Carroll(1806-29 Jan 1879)and Jane Patterson (1820 - 13 May 1890). The father of this John was Patrick Carroll who died ca Jan 1839. They all lived around Gay's River, Nova Scotia. My ggrandfather Terence was a brother of John ( Jane). Would like to hear from anyone else researching these Carroll's in Nova Scotia.

Shirley Wade Campbell (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2000 4:34PM GMT
John Carroll and Alice Cole are my great grandparents. My grandmother was Margaret Catherine Carroll but I know nothing of her life in Nova Scotia only that she left at the age of 14.

Shirley Wade Campbell (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2000 4:54PM GMT
Joan Ramsey please contact me at jim-shirl@loa.com regarding the Carroll's.

Re: Carrolls of Halifax, Nova Scotia

Posted: 30 Jul 2001 1:47AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2005 5:04PM GMT
I surely have knowledge of Gays River, Nova Scotia - it is
North of Halifax just East of interstate 102 at exit 9. There
is a cemetary in front of the white Presbyterian Church at
a three-sided intersection and there are many Campbells
buried in that cemetary.

Re: Carroll's of Gay's River, Nova Scotia

Posted: 3 Apr 2009 11:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for Carroll ancesters in Nova Scotia...Halifax, Springhill, Hants County and /or Windsor Rd. Seeking a William, son George and daughter Winnifred/Winnifroth..

Posted: 27 Mar 2012 1:09AM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
Joan,
I am living with30 miles of Gay's River and Carroll's Corner. I am also writing the history of Carroll's Corner and the surrounding area. My interest in the Carrolls is through my daughter in-law's mother. Their line comes from Mathew son of Patrick Carroll.
When I can I visit the Provincial archives of Nova Scotia. I have started to contact other Carrolls in the Carroll's Corner community so will keep you informed if you like. Also please send me information about your lines, as I don't have access to the USA records through ancestry.
I just wanted to straighten a few things out about the names of these communities. Patrick had a farm in Gay’s River - yet to locate it. Carroll's Corner name came sometime after Gay's River during 1890 - 1900. I found this out through audit records of the original one room Carroll Corner School. John was a trustee and it was suggested at one of these meetings that they should call the community Carroll's Corner. Carroll’s Corner is only about 2 miles south on HWY # 277. You can find it on Goggle Maps. Would you like a picture of John and his wife? I have also taken a picture of John and Alice's head stone. If you look at my tree you will find both. I will send you an invite to my tree. I share everything.
Hope this gets through?

Wes

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 3:45PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
I am in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia and no exactly where Carroll's Corner and Gay's River are located. I have been researching the Carroll's as my daughter in-law is a Carroll that goes back to Patrick's son Mathew and Terrance's brother. It was mentioned in earlier posts that Gay's River is not on the map. Well now a days it is so Goggle both places and you will find them. There is also a community website for Carroll's Corner. Make sure you include Nova Scotia in the search name.
Also John's and Alice's grave maker is located in the grave yard of the Gay's River united church - see my picture.
In the future I will be researching the land grants and sales in these areas to determine the locations of the Carroll's though the times. There is also an Eddie Carroll who owns his pareants farm in CArroll's Corner he goes back to Terrance Carroll. I don't know who but someone was in contact with him a few years ago and gave him his lines going back.

I hope this gets through! please contact.

Wes

Re: Carrolls of Halifax, Nova Scotia

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 3:49PM GMT
Hello,

Sorry to be picky but CAnada has High Ways not interstates. The white Presbyterian church you mentioned is actually a united church now. I can go and look and take pictures for you or anyone who like them. I have only located John Carroll and his wife Alice Cole's Grave stone.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions