Search for content in message boards

Salyer Family

Salyer Family

Mark Salyer (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2002 4:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Salyer
Can you tell me if Zachariah Salyer came directly from France? thank you for any help. salyer_mark@yahoo.com

Re: Salyer Family

rosetta watkins cox (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: Salyer-Watkins-Flannery-Fraley-Elam-Godsey-Osborne
In a book "Early Families of Eastern and Southeastern Kentucky", the Salyer family of Johnson and Magoffin County started in this country with Benjamin K. Salyer,a French Huguenot who settled near Charleston,South Carolina around 1700.He was a wealthy planter who acquired land in North Carolina also. He died at Guilford Court House colony in 1754.Two of his sons were Benjamin Salyer Jr., b 1730 and Zachariah Salyer. Benjamin served in the Revolutionary War with Greene and Zachariah served with Washington at Valley Forge. This book is old and I have the title but don't have publisher's info in my file. If you would like I will get the info for you at my library. There are several pages on the Salyer families.You might be able to get it at your local library.

Mark Salyer (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Salyer Family
Dear Ms. Cox,
thank you for the info. It's possible I'm related to a different Zachariah Salyer. if you are talking about the one in New York. I'm not related to him. thanks anyhow.

sincerely,
Mark

Mark Salyer (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 3:31PM GMT
Dear Rosetta,
thank you for the info. didn't think I could prove Zachariah served in the Revolution. to young for one thing. born 1760 Is this the same Zachariah that lived in Flat Gap, Kentucky? let me know how I can get the book. I'm very interested.

thanks
Mark

Posted: 21 Apr 2002 12:09AM GMT
If his dob was 1760, that would have made him 16-17 at the time he served during the winter of 1776-7. Not an unlikely age for that time period. I will go to my local library tomorrow and get the info on the book for you. If your library doesn't have it, perhaps you can do an interlibrary loan.Once you get the book, you will notice there is a Zachariah in practically every generation and branch of the family. But that's the way it usually is<g>.Till tomorrow.
Rosetta

Mark Salyer (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2002 12:08PM GMT
Dear Rosetta,
thanks for the info. the Zachariah Salyer I was talking about was in 1765 not 60. He would have been to young to be a soldier. born in 1765-1845 in Johnson Co. just 16 when the war ended in 1781. wasn't there a Zachariah Sr. born 1730-1789 in South or North Carolina. my papers say that. or was he Benjamin? look forward to your reply.

sincerely,
Mark

Mark Salyer (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2002 12:15PM GMT
Dear Rosetta,
Zachariah Salyer that I'm related to was born in 1765. to young to have in the War. was there a Zachariah Sr. born 1730-1789 He came from Flat Gap, KY settled there in 1827. died in 1845 at 80 years old. need to find his grave buried near Oil Springs. talking about the younger Zachariah born 1765-1845 see ya

Mark

Posted: 22 Apr 2002 1:38AM GMT
Hi Mark, the name of the book is"Early Families of Eastern and Southeastern Kentucky and Their Descendants", William C. Kozee. Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Company,Inc. 1979. I will post again later with some of the info I have copied.
Rosetta

Mark Salyer (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2002 2:09PM GMT
Dear Rosetta,
thanks for the info. can I purchase a copy of the book? have you heard of Elizabeth Salyer in Virginia.

sincerely,
Mark

Posted: 22 Apr 2002 6:47PM GMT
Mark, I have an Elizabeth Dunn m Zachariah Benjamin in 1751 in NC. This is my line.Their son was Zachariah Benjamin Jr, his son was Joseph Solomon and his daughter was Nancy Salyer who m Henry Osburn.Their son Jonathan m Rutha Middleton and by that time the family had moved from Johnson Co.,Ky to Arkansas. Don't know if you can buy the book since the last publish date was 1979. You should try the loan process, it has always worked great for me.Blessings.
Rosetta
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions