Search for content in message boards

Belgian History

Belgian History

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 6:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for a history of southeastern Belgium from
the time period 1700-1750. Any suggestions would be helpful ?

Re: Belgian History

Posted: 11 Mar 2008 4:21AM GMT
There was no land called Belgium until about 1922, so you need a history book written since then and I would try a search for one at Amazon.com or visit your local public library if you'd rather borrow than buy one. In historical times the area was sometimes part of France, the Spanish Netherlands, the Austrian Netherlands, and had other names and many and varied subdivisions as well.

Posted: 21 May 2010 10:23PM GMT
Belgium became independent in 1831 not 1922!

Posted: 18 Jun 2010 1:10AM GMT
Surely there is a book about the history of the Benelux
countries. . . a history that would encompass the different rulers for that part of Europe. Any suggestions ?

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 7:49PM GMT
I knew that. I guess it was late at night! :)

Posted: 4 Jun 2011 2:28AM GMT
Hi

What is it you re looking for exactly ? What that specific period of history ?

I might be helpful if you tell me more about your work

Regards

Pascal

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 7:36PM GMT
Hello Pascal,
Thank you for responding to my query. I have researched
my grandfather's family to the mid-1700s (before Napoleon) in the Province du Luxembourg. However I am having trouble finding the correct church microfilm. Also there is some confusion regarding the surname which was always written in French, now the old church records show a possible connection to the German spelling !!

So I am wondering what was specifically happening in Province du Luxembourg during the 1700s that would have affected the family to possibly change their name and/or their residence.

I would appreciate any suggestions you have for informa-
tion about this time period, and location.
Thank you, Jeanne

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 9:24PM GMT
Jeanne

You should tell me ho you are looking for exactly and where ?

Belgium has always been an invaded territory since Julius Caesar..France,Spain,The Netherlands and Austria always made their wars on OUR land cause they always wanted it and keep it ...That s why we had our own revolution in 1830, we were fed up being constantly invaded and our people killed and ruined....Our coutry is not an invention of the super powers , we earned it , there was nothing they could do ...we became independant in 1830. Our frontiers have changed a few times though.. People in the 16 ,17 ,18 th century were mainly farmers, poor people ith no education at all ...all wars on our territory almost starved it to death more than once..that s why some people emigrated ..Many ilnesses killed sometimes all people in a village ; the soil was also unproductive..and some parts of our countries went from hand to hand according to those winning the wars..That s also one of the reasons records are sometimes in different languages..

SO tell me who you re looking for, give me as much as u know so far...i ll tru helping you but won t promise to succeed
Best regards
Pascal

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Villages Athus and Tontelange, Belgium
Hello Pierre,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your message. I want to thank you for taking the time to write about the Belgian history. In many cases the history has affected my ancestors' lives. Do you know of a Belgian history timeline on the internet ?
I have found our ancestors' records back to 1750 in the Family History microfilm for Athus and Tontelange, Province de Luxembourg (now Belgium). As you probably know the villages are north of Arlon, Belgium.

The film for these church's records do not extend far beyond 1750. However the marriage record refers to the ancestors' parents for an earlier time. My other question is :
what church would the parents have attended before the churches of Athus and Tontelange existed ?
Please e-mail me at: koeunereunion@gmail.com for the
family surnames. Thank you for taking the time to write.
Best wishes for a good summer, Jeanne

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 2:30AM GMT
Hello All,
Has anyone found a Belgian history timeline on
the internet ? This would be an wonderful aid to
my family history.
Thank you, Jeanne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions