Search for content in message boards

Maria Georgina Bastian (1837-1914)mar. Nemoede (1836-1893), Wisconsin

Maria Georgina Bastian (1837-1914)mar. Nemoede (1836-1893), Wisconsin

Posted: 26 Apr 2002 12:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Sep 2003 12:27PM GMT
Surnames: Bastian, Nemoede
Looking for siblings, parents, of Maria Georgina Bastian (b. 1837, Stettin, Mecklenberg, Germany, d. 1914 ?Oconto, WI). She married (where?) Edward Carl Ludwig Nemoede, b. 1836 in Prussia, d. 1893 in Oconto, WI.

jdleith@attbi.com
4/25/02

Re: Maria Georgina Bastian (1837-1914)mar. Nemoede (1836-1893), Wisconsin

john squires (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2002 8:28PM GMT
i have the children of maria georgina bastian
but i'm looking for her father&mother also
here is the name's of her children
martha
edward both died young
bertha auguste maria
john rudolph theodore
agnes maria anna
annie louisa katarina
harriet lydia
herman philip
eda wilhelmina
alma caroline
john rudolph theodore is my grandfather

sue (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2002 9:38PM GMT
i am researching info about Eda Nemoede. Born in WI. in 1877. Married name was Casterton.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sue (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2002 9:44PM GMT
I am wishing to have info about Eda Nemoede. I am related to her. Am esp. interested
in information about her children. I will greatly appreciate any info you might have.

eda nemoede casterton

K. Nemoede (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2006 7:12PM GMT
i am related to her, too. here is what i have found so far, from here grand-daughter:

Eda Nemoede was born April 14, 1877, in Brillion, Wisconsin, of German immigrant parents. She was next to the youngest of eight children. She was very bright in school, but was not allowed to go past the sixth grade because her father wanted the children to go to work.

Eda showed a talent for drawing at an early age, and the little museum in Oconto, Wisconsin displays a drawing of a child done by Eda at the age of fifteen. Her older sister, Agnes, recognized her ability and sent her to the Minneapolis Academy of Art.

Following the death of her father, Eda, her mother, and most of the children moved to Chicago. Eda got a job as a stenographer and took up miniature painting. The miniatures were painted in watercolor on a thin sheet of ivory. She studied at the Chicago Art Institute, and under Virginia Reynolds, who was the most famous miniature painter in the country. Mrs. Reynolds was so impressed with Eda's talent that she bequeathed her unfinished orders to her.

While she was still in her twenties there were many glowing articles about Eda in the press. In 1905 she went to Paris and received much favorable attention there. She exhibited at the Paris Salon, and critics were astounded that anyone who had only studied in the United States could show such skill. An article in the "Chicago Chronicle", June 21, 1903, said: "Eda Nemoede bids fair to become one of the greatest miniature painters of America and those who have seen her work praise it unstintingly."

Lawton S. Parker, an artist and an authority on miniature painting, after viewing the work of the young Chicago girl said, "There are miles upon miles of miniatures in the French salon every year that will not compare with the best Miss Nemoede has done. Mrs. Virginia Reynolds, acknowledged to be the most famous and the best miniaturist in America, said Miss Nemoede was the most talented pupil she ever had, and that is high praise, for Mrs. Reynolds has had classes in Paris, New York and Chicago."

Back home, in 1911 she married William Casterton, and they had two daughters. As time went on Eda was forced to support the family with her art work, which now included large portraits in oil or pastels, as well as the watercolor miniatures. When the marriage of her older daughter, Jane, ended in divorce, Eda was also supporting Jane and her two young sons for a number of years.

In her later years Eda moved to Montana to look after her sister, Bertha. Her portraits were very popular there, and Eda loved the Northwest.

At the age of eighty-nine she was still earning her living doing portraits, but her younger daughter, Virginia, thought it was time for her to be closer to her family and moved Eda to her home in California. After the move, Eda completed a couple of unfinished orders, but she missed the blue skies of Montana and had little incentive to paint any more. However, she was always ready to give helpful criticism to
Virginia, who was now doing portraits in oil and pastel.

Special Awards and Exhibitions:
In a brochure from a showing at the galleries of Carson Pirie Scott & Company in 1927 it is stated that "Mrs. Casterton...received Honorable Mention at the
International Art Union, Paris, in 1907 and 1908, and was awarded a Silver Medal at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition (1915) and a Bronze medal at the Sesqui-Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia (1926).

She is a member of the American Society of Miniature Painters, and Pennsylvania and Chicago Societies of Miniature Painters.

Re: eda nemoede casterton

Posted: 24 May 2007 3:37PM GMT
I am interested to know who you are. I am Marilee Moyer Bryant, daughter of Virginia Casterton Moyer.

Posted: 24 May 2007 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: Nemoede Casterton
eda nemoede casterton was my paternal grandfather's aunt. She did portraits of my father and two aunts when they were young, which remain in the family. my grandmother, margaret nemoede, kept a print of the famous clean shaven abe lincoln in their study and told me on numerous occasions that the piece is in the smithsonian institution.

i wrote up an article, based on my grandmother's knowledge of eda, along with some facts found on the internet here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eda_Nemoede_Casterton

if you have any additional information about our relative, please forward it to me and i will add it to the article.

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 6:54PM GMT
Dear Marilee Moyer Bryant: We are not related, however, my step-grandfather was Joseph Casterton who told us his sister was Eda Casterton the miniature artist. I assume he was William's brother? I have a pastel sketch of myself at age 3 signed "ENC" 1932. I remember your mother, Virginia and Aunt Jane, who cut silhouettes of my sister, mother and myself on different occasions.They were signed, JNC. They were in their early 20's at the time. I also have two large landscapes in pastels on which the signature is hardly decernible but a "C and some letters after it". It would have been done around 1900-20 or so. I am guessing it could have been a wedding gift as my parents married in 1923. These are beautiful and expertly done. I will send you shots of them and in addition I have a snapshot of Joseph Casterton and my grandmother taken early in their marriage. Her name was Minerva Ganow Allen.

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 5:30PM GMT
I just happened to come across this and read it to my mother. When I got to the name Minerva she said, "Oh, Aunt Minnie!" And I have run across a photo or two of "Uncle Joe" just recently. Would love to see any photos you have.
Marilee Moyer Bryant

Posted: 24 Jul 2014 8:17PM GMT
Surnames: Allen, Cridland
Dear Mrs Bryant: I'm sorry for this delayed response. I was showing my son the info on your grandmother as he was visiting and he brought up her bio and saw your note. I never thought you would answer! I have two snapshots of Joe and grandma Casterton. One looks like they were newly married and the other they were much older (about 1946). I take it your Mother is Virginia? Is she still living? I was about 3 years when I knew her, and I am 85! My Dad, Frank Kenyon Allen was Minnie's son by her first marriage. Would love to share these photos with you. I will scan the photos and I can attach them through this site.

Dolores Allen Cridland
per page

Find a board about a specific topic