Search for content in message boards

FANNIE ELIZABETH BRAY-Cherokee

Alexa McSteel (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2000 9:41PM GMT
This is all the information I have on my great-grandmother. FANNIE ELIZABETH BRAY born29 July 1875 in TN(?). Married 1st to A.C.BATES. This is how his names is listed on the marriage certificate in Old Tishomingo Co. MS, but family has the names listed as LEVI GUY BATES.
2nd marriage to PASCAL ANDERSON GIBSON ENGLISH in 1905 in Pulaski TN (?).
PASCAL AND FANNIE moved to LAUDERDALE COUNTY AL and lived on "Catholic HIll" where FANNIE was "PASSED" off as Italian Catholic. She was Cherokee. Her mother died young and Fannie was raised by her grandparents. The grandmother I've no idea on her name but her grandfather's may have been William.
FANNIE died 4 Feb 1920 of congestive heart failure. If anyone knoew anything about FANNIE please get in touch.
Thank you,
Lexy

LTC Johnny Bray (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2000 12:31PM GMT
I am interested to know more about your great grandmother. As you are probably aware a large number of Bray's moved out of Georgia into the Tishimingo area around 1861. They had left land aquired through the Cherokee land lotteries. There were three particular Bray's listed in subsequent claims of heritage to the Indian Nation from William, George and Richard Bray, sons of Jane Bertholf "Cherokee Old Settlers, 1896 and 1851 Old Settler Payroll".
There were many Cherokee's that settled in Northwestern Alabama and Northeastern Mississippi after the "Trail of Tears". They were often hidden in the hills by local settlers because they were good farmers, etc. instead of crossing the Miss. River as ordered by relocation.

I am from North Alabama and my relatives on the Bray side migrated out of Tishimingo and what's now Alcorn County in 1910. You suggested the father of Fannie may have been named William. That is very possible because William Bray is a common name and you will find there is a William Henry, and William G. Bray in the area around 1861. There is also a William Bray in the next generation following that one.
I don't know if any of this helps but the name Fannie Bray strikes a bell with me and I can't seem to finger it at the moment. Do you know where she was buried?

FANNIE ELIZABETH BRAY

Alexa (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2000 1:39PM GMT
Fannie is buried in LAUDERDALE COUNTY Al. city of Florence....She's buried behind the Catholic Church on "Catholic Hill"......Oh I'm so excited the name means something to you!!!
Lexy

WILLIAM BRAY born abt 1813(?)

Lexy (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2000 7:20PM GMT
Hi John,
This is what I know from "family history". My great Aunt Lucille, before she died, told me that Great Grandmama English was raised by her grandparents because her mother died young.FANNIE had an older brother named "JOHN" he married UNKNOWN GREEN.
Accordin to my records and tombstone FANNIE was born in 1875.
I found an 1880 census PIKE COUNTY DIXON'S BEAT #7 Ala. for a WM BRAY White Male age 67 Farming Place of Birth NC..Father's POB NC, Mother's POB NC
Listed as livin with him is:
RASBURY B. white M 34 son Born NC, Father NC Mother NC
CAROLINE white female 18 daughter keeping house Born AL Father NC Mother GA
JOHN white male 12 GRANDSON labor born AL Father GA MOTHER GA
FANNY -I can't make out if she's listed as W or M age 6 GRANDDAUGHTER at home born AL FATHER GA MOTHER GA.
Next door to them was another BRAY line of
JEFFERSON
KA
LAVORINA
CAROLINA P
MARCY A
MARY MC
WILLIS ANN
WILLIAM JR.

This census is the reason I believe this is my greatgrandmother BECAUSE both her name and her brothers name appear as grandchildren.
Someone once told me that WM. might have had a dray business in Tishomingo Co.
I know that FANNIE married A.C. (family says his name was LEVI GUY BATES) BATES in Tish Co. They moved to PULASKI TN . He was suppose to have died there in an ironworks explosion. FANNIE then married my Great Grandfather PASCAL ANDERSON GIBSON ENGLISH in PULASKI and they moved to LAUDERDALE COUNTY where they remained til their deaths.
A couple of interestin stories I've just recently heard:
That FANNIE and PASCAL lived on "CATHOLIC HILL" so Fannie would be able to pass as Italian Catholic......FANNIE had four children with her first husband Levi,IDA LEROY, AGNUS, RUBY,WILLIAM LYNN BATES....but only IDA LEROY and WILLIAM LYNN where with FANNIE when she married PASCAL....I was told by a distant cousin that RUBY and AGNUS were taken from FANNIE because she was CHEROKEE.I've not found them mentioned anywhere.
One last thing AUNT LUCILLE told me..that FANNIE's Grandmother made dolls then for some reason would burn them, but no one knew why she did it.
I would love any information you might have on the WILLIAMS you've spoken about, and do you think I might be on the right track?
I know that FANNIE was CHEROKEE Mama McNutt never denied her NA blood.
I have a picture of Fannie if you would like to see her. She was very beautiful.
Sincerely,
Lexy

Brays Cherokee

Posted: 18 Jan 2000 12:05PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2002 9:14PM GMT
Most of the Bray born in this country were Cherokee. Originally out of the Elk River Valley in TN. They went into NC and some settled in the area of Union, Calaberus, Anson, and Randolph Counties. The blended in with the English Brays who were originally from English and Irish Earles.

One spelling is Brehe. Also the Bray wood plantation was mentioned. This was a Cherokee/Irish plantation with the blood lines blending.

The Brays are related somehoe to the warrior chief Dragging Canoe and that is the eventual link that I have tried to find.

Anyone with Cherokee info (I have the Dawes Rolls with John Bray mentioned) please contact me. If I don't get the lineage correct and written down my children and grandchildren will not know where or how to look.

When visiting Cherokee, NC, I was informed that only children under 3 could be registered with the tribe after degree of blood had been certified.

I hope this info helps others.

cherokee brays

jack callaway (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2000 5:52PM GMT
Dear Linda, My gggrandfather, William Harper Bray, b. 1823 in Franklin Co. d. 1891 in Nicholson, Ga. married Frances Wood on Nov 4, 1848 in Madison Co. Ga. It was passed down thru the family that Frances Wood was Cherokee Indian. I have no other info on her. My other gggrandfather was Ezekiel Bray, b. 1816, d. unknown in Madison Co. GA., married Elizabeth Patterson in Madison Co. in 1840, married the widow of Seaborn Echols, Edy Echols in 1863. Have reason to believe that William and Ezekiel were brothers or cousins. William's mother was named Susan. Don't know his fathers name or info. Have been stuck at this point for some time. They may have all been Indians. My understanding of the Dawes Commission was that this listing is primarily for the Indians west of the Mississippi River. There is another list for the Eastern Indians. Thanks, Jack Callaway

FANNIE/ BRAY/BATES/ENGLISH

DON HURST (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2002 6:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
FANNIE WAS MY GRAND MOTHER AND LUCILLE WAS MY MOTHER. I HAVE SOME PICTURES AND WOULD BE GLAD TO SHARE WITH YOU.LILLIAN, YOUR GRANDMOTHER AND LUCILLE WERE SISTERS. IF INTERESTED CONTACT ME BY E-MAIL AT DHURST1400@AOL.COM
per page

Find a board about a specific topic