Search for content in message boards

Elkin family of County Tyrone

Elkin family of County Tyrone

Posted: 7 Feb 2003 7:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Feb 2005 7:41AM GMT
Surnames: Elkin and Lynd
I am looking for details of William Elkin b.1838 in County Tyrone. Parents were Moses Michael Elkin and Deborah Cohen. Migrated to NZ sometime before 1860 which is when he married Jane Lynd (b.1836 County Antrim). They emigrated to Australia by 1862 where my GGrandmother Eliza Jane was born in 1862.

Re: Elkin family of County Tyrone

John Relph (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2004 1:05AM GMT
I had a Rev John Elkin abt 1890 maried I think to Hypatia Elizabeth ?. In her obituary it said she had ancestors in Tyrone County, Montomeryshire in Wales, London and Montrose in Scotland, she was burried in Rookwood ( Haslams Creek). At the time I am talking about they lived in Berry which was called Broughtons Creek near Nowra.

Posted: 20 Jan 2008 2:12AM GMT
My family tree goes back to County Tyrone. I believe maybe a branch different. Contact me at corboy7@hotmail.com or flyboy16226@yahoo.com. My name is Corey Elkin. I am from Ford City, Pa. USA

Posted: 8 Oct 2010 5:58AM GMT
Hello,
I have recently discovered that my in-laws were related to Moses Elkin. I understand that the family fled Russia to County Tyrone in Ireland. My Mother-in-law was Mary Olive Elkin Walker, though the Elkin name was not added to the next generation. I have information of the family in New Zealand, where I live.
anne_c41

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 9:19PM GMT
Hello, I also live in NZ.
My husbands grandmother was Margaret Isabella Elkin who married William Walker in Wellington in 1888.
Our Elkin family went to Omagh about 1770 and lived at Mullenatomagh and Kilbuck.
Robert Elkin born 1798 was the son of David Elkin and Catherine Smith.
He married:
1. Lovey (Olivia) Robinson
2. Elizabeth Mcgraw.

William Elkin born 1835 to Robert Elkin and Lovey.

This Elkin family all came to Sandhurst (Bendigo, Aus) in 1855/6, then came to Oakura (Korutown) near New Plymouth in 1864.
William Elkin and his brothers Alexander and Robert were all in the Taranki militia and farmed their land grants.
Robert never married and died at Margaret's farm in Opotiki
in 1908.
Father Robert died at Oakura in 1874 and Elizabeth died in 1884.
After the parents died William and Robert sold up at Oakura and went to Australia. There is an article in Paperspast site in the Taranaki paper of their farewell party.
Alexander was killed in the same battle as Von Tempsky in 1868.

About the same time there was a minister Rev. Elkin in Auckland - no relation to my Elkins.

Please let me know if you think there a connection with
you Elkins,

Regards,
Min Walker
minw@ihug.co.nz

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 9:45PM GMT
My William Elkin was born in County Tyrone ABT 1839 to James Elkin and Eliza Jane Grey. He married Jane Lynn on 17 Apr 1860 in Auckland. The Reverend John Elkin was his brother. The Rev. married Hypatia Elizabeth Kinnear in 1866 in the district of Berrima, NSW, Australia.

William and Jane settled in the Crudine district of NSW. Their daughter Eliza Jane was my Great Grandmother.

On a more dour note, is there any incidence of Motor Neurone Disease (ALS) in any of your Elkin connected families?

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 11:04PM GMT
Classification: Biography
How interesting!
Of the Motor neuron I don't know anything, but my mother-in-law was a Walker and (with Elkin connections) and she married a Clarke. This family has a predisposition to Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency, which is one of Cystic Fibrosis and somewhat unusual.
I'm sure 'your' William Elkin and mine are the same as I have his birth date as 1838 in County Tyrone.
What a small world it is!
Do you know anything of a Moses Elkin who was supposedly the First Rabbi in Auckland, New Zealand in the 1860s? Or was it Rev. John?
Clearly Elkin is a popoular name in the States, though not here in N.Z.
As a coincidence, I know the Berrima District of N.S.W. quite well and lived there for a time.
Anne

Posted: 11 Oct 2010 12:02AM GMT
I don't believe that Moses Elkin was connected to our side. Moses Elkin was a rabbi for the Hebrew community. Rev John was a Church of England Minister. A Jewish and Christian family all in one is highly unlikely. Moses was appointed Rabbi of the Auckland Hebrew Community in 1864 and served there for 10 years. According to the THE CYCLOPEDIA OF NEW ZEALAND [AUCKLAND PROVINCIAL DISTRICT] AUCKLAND HEBREW CONGREGATION, Moses was appointed minister for the Auckland Hebrew Congregation by the Chief Rabbi of England and arrived in NZ in the 1850s. He returned to England at the end of his 10 year term.

Here is the obit for the Rev John. This is the most info I have been able to find on him.

REV. JOHN ELKIN.
The death took place at Brisbane of the Rev. John Elkin, who was some years ago well known in the Church of England ministry of New South Wales.
Mr. Elkin was trained at Moore College, Liverpool, whence he graduated in 1875, in which year he was also ordained deacon. He was ordained priest in 1876, and subsequently served at Berry, Kangaroo Valley, Lithgow, and Wallerawang. He was inducted rector of St. Alban's, Fivedock, in 1892, with charge also of St. Bede's, Drummoyne.

I hope this helps.

There's no CF in our family that I know of. Just MND and MS. The MND is quite prevalent. I am part of the genetic study and we are trying to track the source.

Kind regards for all your help.

Lynda

Posted: 13 Oct 2010 2:15AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. It appears that the source of my information had got things a bit wrong because the nearer relatives came from County Tyrone. So maybe the Rev John was, in fact the right one and the Rabbi was yet another Minister Elkin. My late mother-in-law and her siblings all had Elkin in their names as did their father Robert Elkin Walker who was born abt.1890 and died in 1955 in Hamilton, New Zealand.

Posted: 13 Oct 2010 10:14PM GMT
Yes. This happens quite frequently when you are deep in genealogy. Although we are certainly distant cousins. All Elkins from Northern Ireland probably stem from the same pair at one time. Elkins still in Northern Ireland are almost certainly distant cousins also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic