Search for content in message boards

Are your Chemung NY Reidys related to my PA/NJ Reidys?

Are your Chemung NY Reidys related to my PA/NJ Reidys?

Posted: 28 Mar 2006 2:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Reidy Quinlivan Doohan
I have no proof of realtionship but have a hunch that we share ancestors.
My Reidys came from County Clare, Ireland, in 1880 and settled in White Haven PA. Wife Ellen Quinlivan Reidy and much of the family moved to NJ in 1901 after the death of husband/father Michael Reidy.
My Reidys share the first names of John Patrick James and
Thomas with names I've seen for Chemung Reidys.
Many of my Reidy men were railroaders with the Lehigh Valley RR, Delaware Lackawanna & Western RR, and NJ Central - right up to recent times.

Other surnames in family are Quinlivan and Doohan.

Too many similarities not to be related!

Re: Are your Chemung NY Reidys related to my PA/NJ Reidys?

Posted: 22 Oct 2006 1:51PM GMT
I am related to more than one Reidy/Ready family from the Chemung County, NY area, but I cannot link them to yours. These were all very common names, so without something truly unique, it's hard to connect the people through names!

Michael T. Reidy (b. September 10, 1826) m. Bridget Kane (b. 1839ish). I have more than one report of origins in Co. Clare, but little hard evidence. They sailed to NYC on the Lucy Thompson arriving on June 18, 1863. They settled in Horseheads, Chemung Co. NY.

Margaret Reidy m. John Ryan (b. 1835ish). They resided in Bangor, ME, prior to coming to Elmira, Chemung Co., NY. Their daughter, Hannah (b. May 15, 1859) married Michael Kane. They resided in Elmira, NY. No known connection to Co. Clare, but reportedly a familial connection to the next family...

Mary Ready (b. August 19, 1849) married Patrick Thomas Ryan (b. 1847ish). They hailed from Liscannor Parish, Co. Clare, Ireland.

Pat Reidy Lawrence (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2006 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Reidy Quinlivan
Thanks for your message. We've seen the postings about the Reidys of Chemung, but we've been unable to link "our" Reidys of Doonbeg to your family in NY. Our Reidys married into the Quinlivan family of Lissycasey/Furroor Co Clare IRE, and we've only been able to find Reidys through that family connection. On a trip to Ireland in 2005, we visited Doonbeg but were not able to find out more about the family. Our Reidy-Quinlivans came to the US in 1880, and settled in NE Penna, later moving to NJ. We suspect that our family is related to yours, and that they followed your family to the US but have been unable to prove any of this. We've still working on it though. Please keep in touch and we'll do the same.

James Quinlivan (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2006 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Quinlivan, Quailey, Kane, McMahon, Mahoney, Kinnane, King, O'dea, McNerney,
Hello,

Just went through Ancestry.com and read your message about Reidy/Ready family in Chemung county, NY. I have been very active in the names of Quinlivan and Quailey (Quealy) from Clare county. Pat Lawrence and I have also corresponded before about our connections to these two families, Quinlivan and Quailey (Quealy) from the Kiladysert area. Though I have no connection with the, Reidy/Ready families, I have come across them when investigated my family lines. I have also notice many Reidy/Ready families that are located in St.Augustine's cemetery, Silver Lake,PA, where some of my families reside. There are also many Kane families in this cemetery and in St Joseph's cemetery, Forest Lake..right down from Silver Lake.PA. These two towns are located in Susquehanna county, and there are many connections to families ( Reidy/Ready , Kanes, and Quailey) from the Chemung county area.
Ellen, I don't know if you are aware but there is a great genealogy website for the Tri-counties (Bradford, PA., Tioga,PA. and Chemung, NY.) that Joyce Tice has put together. There is a section in this website , 'Place Names of Irish Origins' , http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/outline/irish07.htm which should bring you right to the Reidy section. Looking at the data it shows that these Reidys came from the Liscannor Parish in the towns of Ballysteen, and Clahane. There are also a few from Tulla, which is on the opposite side of County Clare. You can also use the search engine on this site. I put in the name Reidy and came up with what is probably your relatives, Reidy, Kane, and Ryans http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/church/stpatr1.htm, St. Patricks Church, Elmira,NY.
So, you are probably related to Pat's Reidy families somewhere from way back when and the reason why I state this is that there seems to be a cluster of families with similar names, Reidy, Quealy, Kane, Quinlivan, Kinnane in both Liscannor parish, located in NW county Clare and in Kiladysert/Clondagad parishes located in SCentral area of county Clare.

PS. Excuse me if I'm a pest here but there is another great genealogy site, County Clare Library, http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/genealog..... This will lead you to the Griffiths Evaluation, a census of Ireland from 1855. Search for your names in the Surname section and you might find out exactly where your relatives are from.

Sorry for the long note here.

Best wishes

Jim Quinlivan

Pat Reidy Lawrence (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2006 12:26PM GMT
Surnames: Reidy Quinlivan Doohan Quealy
Hi Jim --
It's nice to see your name on the boards again. You've given Ellen some very good research advice for her Reidys. It's funny how we keep "bumping into" each other's families as we research but can't make the connections that would make us all "cousins".
I travelled with a group of my Reidy cousins to Ireland last year. We did some sightseeing but also went looking for our Quinlivans and Reidys. Met the Quinlivans, still looking for those Reidys.
I'm not able to spend much time on my family research lately, but I still prowl the boards and try to chase down new clues. Continued Good Luck on your research. Pat

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 12:02AM GMT
I live on the property once owned by Michael reidy and Bridget Kane.

My mother was a Reidy her parents were Michael reidy and Bertha Smith Michael's father was Michael Reidy they lived at 209 Roe Ave This property was owned by Simon Kane Bridget's brother.

It is a small world but I cannot find much on my relatives especially where they came from we thinl Clare but are not certain.

My email is dpdh@aol.com if you would like to write

Diane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions