Search for content in message boards

Carriage Return in BMDB Sequence

Carriage Return in BMDB Sequence

Posted: 20 Aug 2008 11:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is a request for a modification in Second Site for the use of [CR] in BMDB events. At this time, the [CR] as used in TMG is honored by SS for all events. However, if the "BMDB First" box on Pages - Format is checked, this results in awkward paragraphing within this first paragraph under a person's name. Can [CR] be ignored if this box is checked for all BMDB events (and these events only)? That would make for a much improved flow of text.

If I have this wrong and am missing something, someone please let me know. Thanks for listening.

Re: Carriage Return in BMDB Sequence

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 1:47PM GMT
First let me say that I'm not knocking the [2ndst] list, but
I noticed this showed up in the [2ndst] list and the author of the Second Site software no longer participates in this second site list. He does monitor/host a second site list on google and since he in the only one who can make program changes you might want to subscribe to that list and post your suggestion there. Of course you could always contact him directly.

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 4:05PM GMT
While the idea has some merit, the problem is that there may be times while the [:CR:] is desired - first paragraph notwithstanding. Thus there would be no way of 2nd Site knowing when the [:CR:] is to be followed or ignored.

The same applies within TMG when the user uses the code to format an Individual Narrative report and then prints a Journal Narrative with the separate lead paragraph.

The only option, in my opinion, might be having two Tags with the same data. Then select to use one of those Tags for the Journal or for 2nd Site and the other Tag for other reports.

Hope this helps -
Lee

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 5:11PM GMT
Thanks, Lee, for the comments. I had considered the "two-tag" approach since the journal report and the narrative report are structured differently - I tend to make use of the narrative report mostly. For now, I'll use the journal report that is a good predictor of what Second Site does and structure the event text to have a suitable paragraph style. Need to give more thought to how to get the narrative report to do what I'd like. Thanks.

Posted: 22 Aug 2008 3:09PM GMT
Instead of a two tag approach, how about a second "language" to achieve the desired output. See: tmg.reigelridge.com/Language.htm for ideas on using a 2nd language to get the same data to output in different ways.

Barbara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic