Search for content in message boards

New beta for "Now it’s easier to add info to your tree"

New beta for "Now it’s easier to add info to your tree"

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 12:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm not sure I like it. Main reason is that if I want to change the location, the entry box has no drop-down memory of earlier entries...so I either have to copy and paste from somewhere else or type it out.

Re: New beta for "Now it’s easier to add info to your tree"

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:34AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 11:42AM GMT
The beta format is in no way easier.

In fact it is harder. It takes an extra click to get access to the fields from which the Ancestry.com encoding has deleted or omitted material from the actual record. Just a few examples:

--in Ohio Deaths Index, Ancestry always enters generic institution ("long-term care facility") instead of place of death ("Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio")
--in all WWI and WWII Draft Registration items, Ancestry.com omits the date
--in all City Directories (Beta) Anacestry.com omits the County
--in many records Ancestry.com's encoding to add-to-tree omits the person's middle name (even when given in the extract of the record!!), and even surname.
--in many US Census items the Ancestry.com version of the place-name is *wrong,*, omits part of the place (village name or Township name), etc.

There is little point to this 'beta' except to make it more difficult to correct what is entered for the tree individual.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 1:59PM GMT
Yep, I went back to the old way. I hope they do not implement this!!

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 2:28PM GMT
I would like to see Ancestry just stop fixing everything under the sun that we did not ask for and fix some of the things that have been bugging us for years such as the WWI problems, etc.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 4:27PM GMT
I'm neuteral on it right now. Did the old way have a drop down for editing location when adding a record? I always had to type it out completely, with no drop down on that particular screen - but don't know if it was a browser incompatibility issue or not. What I do like about the beta is that I can add a description (or edit the default description as the case may be) which is a feature that wasn't available previously.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 12:53AM GMT
It was not a drop down selection - it was your browser remembering previous entries in the field and presenting them to you as you typed. Very handy so one does not constantly have to retype them.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 12:56AM GMT
I agree about them coming up with new things and not fixing old. I'm still waiting for them to fix their acknowledged bug they caused in the spacing for stories.

All previous stories now run together with paragraph breaks not being recognized. On new stories one has to add extra paragraph breaks just to have one. What does it take? I'm brought it up twice to support and it still is not fixed.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 1:15AM GMT
I get the suggested place names on other screens, for instance in searches or when adding facts/events to a person - but I have never gotten the suggested place names when adding records (on the screen comparing details in a record you are adding to details already in your tree).

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 1:50AM GMT
I'm not neutral - I don't like it. As far as I can see, it's another "let's just click and go so we don't have to think or do any research" option.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 4:05AM GMT
Using Firefox browser, the browser anticipates the next word similar to a drop down menu but using any other browser does not work which is why I stick to Firefox. Info Re:IE seems to suggest that should work as well but I have never gotten it to work.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic