Search for content in message boards

i cant believe what i am finding!!

i cant believe what i am finding!!

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 5:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DeBruce
I never expected when I began to research my ancestry, that I would find the amazing things that I have...Two great grand uncles, Robert deBruce and Edward deBruce, on my paternal grandmother's side, were both kings!!! Robert was the first King of Scotland and Edward was NAMED High King of Ireland....it took a coulple days of research, cuz ya just cant take someone's word for it, but through a ton of hours of researching family trees, historical records, etc...its they are my ancestor, my 21 great grand aunt was Mary Bruce, thier sister, who married Sir Niel Nigel of Mac Cailen More Campell, Lord of Loch Awe, Scotland....this is becoming the most cool things I have ever done in my life!!! highly suggest that ppl research their ancestry, you never know what you might find out!

Re: i cant believe what i am finding!!

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 8:45PM GMT
A word of caution here. Unless you find proof besides other peoples trees, you should not believe a word of it. Research back that far is extremely iffy to say the least and is at most a made up story and not to be believed. The trees are full of fanciful ancestries and some downright lies. Do your own research and do not become a clickologist.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 8:58PM GMT
Trust NO tree...question EVERYTHING. Slow down...If you want your tree to reflect who your ancestors truly were, you will start fresh and prove each relationship from you to the next generation and the next. Build your family's history slowly using provable detail rather than just copying the trees that are on here. The greatest majority of the trees on here are filled with errors, lies, and pure fantasy (kings & queens, Indian princesses, etc.) You can't build a tree in a couple of days...it's impossible! I've been working on my family history for over 27 years and I can only solidly prove up to my Revolutionary War era ancestors. Anything past them is pure speculation.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 9:44PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 10:13PM GMT
Unfortunately I can believe the information that you found, but how do you know it is right? My guess is it was copied from someone else's tree -- how do you know it is correct? Did you check if there were sources? Did you check out the sources for yourself if any were indicated?
If you seriously want to do your family research, this is NOT the way to do it. I looked at a few of your people on the tree, and there is no indication of census records, etc., to support your information.
I totally agree with the other comments that you have to prove or disprove every step of the way - even that is sometimes open to error by conflicting records.
By buying into the other persons tree, it just populates yet more inaccurate information that the next person will copy, and on and on and on. I'm sure the majority of people here will agree that a massive amount of information on the trees out there is bad. My suggestion is to use the trees for clues, but never add a person to your tree unless you prove it with actual records.. not just because someone else says so.
If you seriously want to research your family, there are lots of people here on ancestry and other sites that will gladly assist. Please slow down, prove a generation at a time, and be proud of your work knowing it is right!

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 10:36PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 11:21PM GMT
Adam and Eve can't be far away, keep clicking.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:04PM GMT
I'm glad to hear you can't believe it. Now start by getting copies of your parents birth and marriage records. Do that for every generation possible. That way you will learn your real ancestry.

Good Luck!

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 12:54AM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2012 12:55AM GMT
Does anyone else think this sounds like an infomercial for Ancestry?

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 1:06AM GMT
I was expecting an appearance by that crappy ancestral books dot com.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 1:14AM GMT
This board should come with a warning message for the new - "Lurk and Learn."

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 1:22AM GMT
Sweetie, we don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for genealogical research, but as the others have said, hints from other users' trees are not to be trusted. You need to start with your parents yourself and work backward by generation from there, collecting birth, marriage and death certificates for each person, census information, land records and wills, and passenger and naturalization information for any immigrants along the way.

Also, you have to read each one of the above documents thoroughly and vet the information therein for reasonableness and accuracy to ensure that the record actually applies to your desired person.

Finally, you will not be able to find all this information online, although depending on your family's locations, you may get lucky on Ancestry or FamilySearch.org and be able to find quite a bit of basic documentation. Some states are more free with their vital documents than others.

So please, start over, do the proper research, and then when you reach the kings and queens, celebrate heartily, knowing you've proven the connection rather than accepted someone else's fiction.

Happy hunting!! :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions