Search for content in message boards

Knoxville, Napa County

Knoxville, Napa County

Posted: 9 Oct 2007 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Richey
I am trying to trace one of my great-grandmothers brothers. He moved around alot. The last census record I find of him is in 1900, living in Oklahoma. In one of his father's obits(1906) he is listed in Los Angeles; in another obit on his father, he is listed as living in San Francisco. In his mother's obit (1920), he is listed as living in Fortuna, CA. The last mention I can find of him is in a brother's obit (1927), where he is listed as living in Knoxville, CA. I live in Mendocino County and am a native Californian and I had to look up Knoxville, CA to find out where it is, I had never heard of it. It is along the Knoxville-Berryessa Road, between Lake County and Napa County but, I guess, was technically in Napa County. It doesn't seem like this town is there anymore. Does anyone know anything about Knoxville, particulary in the 1920's, early 1930's? My great-grandmother's brother was named John Laird Richey.

Re: Knoxville, Napa County

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 7:58PM GMT
I have a program called "Cities Galore" in which you choose the state and select the town. Knoxville is listed in that data base and shows that IS in Napa County. Just where it doesn't say.

Posted: 11 Oct 2007 2:58PM GMT
The "town" of Knoxville no longer exists; it may never have ... the term Knoxville is used to designate an area in the northeastern corner of Napa County. It was a mining area - there were mercury mines there. Maybe there was a post office in some one's mining office? The Napa County Historical Society may have more information. I'm not aware that there are any remaining residences in the area since the mines closed; much of the land is now owned by BLM, etc.

Posted: 17 Nov 2007 4:34PM GMT
If you look at the 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 U.S. Census reports, they indicate that within Napa County is the "Knox Township" This included the Monticello area, which is now under Lake Berryessa. I hope this helps.

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 9:15PM GMT
I consulted some old topographic maps I have, and to my surprise, several identify a town/village/post office location of "Knoxville" at Township 11 North, Range 4 West, Mt. Diablo, Section 6 -- and I would guestimate that Knoxville is in the south 1/2 of that section. It's not actually on the Knoxville-Berryessa Road, but about 1/2 mile north of the intersection of that road, and another road which goes off to the north from Knoxville-Berryessa Road - the latter is labeled the "Knoxville Yolo County Line Road" on a map I have from "Precision Mapping" software.
The coordinates of Knoxville are Longitude -122 20' 22" west, latitude 38 49' 40" north, on the Precision Mapping software.

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 7:07PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2013 7:17PM GMT
Knoxville was a mining town of about 300 people (50 houses) in it's heyday. The few mines in the area were all mining quicksilver (mercury). The town was predominantly Irish young men who sacrificed their health for the high pay.

The mines have all been abandoned and in some cases buried/remediated. By the mid 1980's all houses/buildings had been leveled and only a few stone walls remain to mark the town.

A more complete history of the town can be found at http://nrs.ucdavis.edu/mcl/natural/land/history.html
per page

Find a board about a specific topic