Search for content in message boards

Trouble w/View Messages

Trouble w/View Messages

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 5:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Dec 2012 6:30PM GMT
For several months I have been unable to view my Acom messages even though above the little green envelope icon I can see a number in the small red box indicating I have 11 messages.

When I click on the icon all I get is a small white box that says "messages" and Acom's version of the hourglass, the twirling flower thing. Actually I get one half of the flower & it just sits there.

Anyone else having issues with this? It's not an emergency but is there an alternate way to access new messages?

Thanks

Linda

Re: Trouble w/View Messages

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 5:09PM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2012 7:19PM GMT
What browser are you using? I know the message envelope works very sporadically with AOL. Try IE or another browser.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 5:56PM GMT
Ihave been using Firefox and never have had a problem viewing my messages.

How ever in FTM it is a hit or miss if I get notified on the Plan page. Most often a miss.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 6:02PM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2012 6:04PM GMT
I'm using Windows Vista, IE. I've changed nothing but about 3 months ago, it just stopped working. My ISP is AOL but that doesn't seem to have ever been an issue. AOL occasionally screws up messages sent to my AOL mailbox but has never prevented me from logging into Acom & doing whatever I want. All other features on ACOM I've tried appear to be working OK.

I emailed Acom Help but I'd hate to hang by a rope waiting for them to respond with anything of substance.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 8:01PM GMT
Do you have your preferences set to be notified when you receive a message? If so, you SHOULD get a notification in your regular email, with a copy of the message. That, too, has sometimes not worked recently, but I get an email about 80% of the time.

Also, when you click on the green envelope, be sure to let the drop-down list populate and then click on "see all messages."

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 3:56PM GMT
Linda,
Check to see if you have pop-up blocker turned on or an ad-blocker running.
I do use an ad-blocker and it blocker some of Ancestry's windows, so I have to turn it off to use them. it took me a while to figure out why only certain features on Ancestry were not working for me.

Barbara

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 4:11PM GMT
Burgess, Barbara:

Thanks. I have double-checked my Acom options, they are set properly. I have no clue what or where pop-up blocker/ad-blocker are or if I've ever turned on any such thing.

Because my computer skills are basically awful, I rarely touch anything, lol. Ever see that poster or T-shirt that says "I got run over on the information highway"? That's me.

Thanks to everyone on here who's so patient with those of use who are computer/technically challenged....

Linda

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 4:58PM GMT
Linda,
If you have Internet Explorer, look for a little "gear" like icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
Click on the gear icon, then select "Internet Options" from the menu (near the bottom of the list). In that Internet Options menu, you will see several tabs at the top.
Click on the one marked "Privacy." On that screen, near the bottom is a check mark for "Pop-up Blocker." Un-check that box and click the "Apply" button at the bottom. Then, try to get your messages again. If they work now, they you can use the "Settings" button next to the Pop-up Blocker line to add "www.ancestry.com" to the list of sites that will not be blocked, and Check the Pop-up Blocker again to turn it on (to prevent annoying pop-ups).
I'm using Internet Explorer 9 in Windows 7, so other versions might be slightly different, though all of them will have most of the same options somewhere.
If this is too technical for you, then I would suggest calling Ancestry support and let them walk you through their processes on the telephone.

Barbara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions