Search for content in message boards

yet another way that things get screwed up in trees - this needs to be FIXED

yet another way that things get screwed up in trees - this needs to be FIXED

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 6:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Dec 2012 10:16PM GMT
Here is a new one on me - I'm really annoyed (and I'm relieved I found it so soon). I had discovered that a line in one of my trees also is in another, so to shortcut the process, I decided to do a "save to another tree" for some of the folks, with the records then to be added since I know what they are. The first person I chose was the third wife, who had five children with the husband. I thought when adding that it looked like more children than I remembered her having - and when I went back to compare with the source profile, I discovered that the system had added all of her husband's children from two prior marriages (total of 12), as "her" children.

This is at best alarming - I told the system to do one thing, and it did another that is not warranted by the records. Now, I have to either add the other two wives and laboriously go in and change all the relationships of the collective children, or else remove the ones who are not children of the third wife, and try to keep it straight when adding the other two.

Bottom line, the system just created a totally wrong section of my tree - on its own - when it was supposed to only COPY what was there, not make up children this woman did not have and who are not in the profile I was copying. (Maybe this accounts for some of the duplicates spawned by the clickologists who don't actually read the product they have created?)

Re: yet another way that things get screwed up in trees - this needs to be FIXED

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 10:13PM GMT
So-best not to do that again.

Re: yet another way that things get screwed up in trees - this needs to be FIXED

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 7:48AM GMT
McComberdescendant,

This is not a work around, but a better method to copy data tree to tree. It's faster and insures the data is being copied accurately.

You have "husband" in both trees, correct? Are they member connected? If not, THIS is the profile you want to "save to another tree". This will *connect* the profiles. After that profile is connected...

- In the *copy to tree* on the profile page of the *husband*, hit the Member Connect tab.

- The sub-bar menu *Connections* should have (1), your *copy from tree*

- Hit *Connections (1)*, all your data on this profile in the *copy from tree* will present.

- Scroll down to *Relatives*, what's highlighted and NEW? Hit NEW and select your choice, which I would imagine would be *Evaluate and Save Relatives*. This takes you to the review page and you can check all the profiles connected to *husband* you want to save.

Member Connect has made is easy to copy from tree to tree, including all the associated linked data. Follow the highlights and NEW.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions