Search for content in message boards

New Genealogists Read This

New Genealogists Read This

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello new genealogists,

There is a message board called "Newbies" on which you can post your questions and problems. I'm not sure many people know about it so thought I'd post a link here after seeing many threads posted asking about ACOM (Ancestry.com) features.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.researchresources.newbies/...

Re: New Genealogists Read This

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 10:37PM GMT
If I may suggest - this board also shoudl be a link under the Learning Center tabs on the home page, with the explanation that people can ask questions there about basic issues.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:34AM GMT
I agree. :)

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 6:17AM GMT
There is already a BOARDS USERS board where message board users can post queries.

Joan

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 6:35AM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2012 6:38AM GMT
Joan, part of the problem is that most newbies would not know there were boards to be searched, unless they just stumbled over them - hence the suggestion to include a link in the Learning Center drop down menu). It took me quite awhile to come across the surname boards, and even longer to find the regular message boards, mainly because I had no idea there was anything to find.

I think maybe you are expecting a little too much of a real newcomer (it's a little like a recipe, intended for inexperienced cooks, which starts off with, "first blanch the tomatoes, and while they cool make a dark roux"). They have to start at the beginning.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 6:39AM GMT
There is a board help tab, and a board FAQ tab at the bottom of the page, but where is the board users board?
It seems to me that if many newbies are unaware there is any US board other than the general board, they are not going to find the other topic boards. (I think people are figuring that "general" means general inquiry, rather than general US) At any rate, if the boards are to be more helpful to new people, maybe the board help tab should be in big letters at the top of the message board page.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 6:42AM GMT

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 6:46AM GMT
The board hierarchy is fairly intuitive -- at least where locality and surname boards are concerned and searching for any board is not difficult if you type in the board name you are looking for. The only section of the hierarchy where I can see any reason at all for confusion on the part of a Newbie is if they try to navigate (rather than search) through the TOPIC boards. But even in this category there is a reasonable grouping of boards for the most part. Since the boards were originally part of RootsWeb (not Ancestry) some of the helpful boards such as the Boards Users board and Boards Admins board are located under the ROOTSWEB administrative subsection.

Joan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions