Search for content in message boards

John Freeman, Samuel Freeman, Aaron Freeman, Isaac Freeman & James Freeman

John Freeman, Samuel Freeman, Aaron Freeman, Isaac Freeman & James Freeman

Posted: 18 Sep 2009 11:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Freeman, Bently, Hall, Faggott
I am descended through Aaron Freeman b. abt. 1745 who marries Mary Bently. We have very clear documentation of our connection to two of his sons, Aaron Posey Freeman and Rev. Moses Freeman. Recently, we have found out through Y-DNA testing that this Freeman line started with a Native American male(tested Q1a3a haplogroup, Amerindian) who took the surname Freeman, proving the connection to John Freeman of Norfolk Co. VA very likely wrong as John of Norfolk's line tracks back to England. This is proven through other researchers, including Merrill Hill Mosher, Author of JOHN FREEMAN OF NORFOLK CO. VIRGINIA, who has done very thorough research.

With this information in mind, I've gone back to Aaron Freeman who marries Mary Bently, looking for other Freeman connections in the area of Rowan Co. North Carolina where we first find Aaron, looking for possibly familial connections.

Currently I'm looking for:

1. Information on John Freeman and Samuel Freeman who show up in Rowan Co. as early as 1759 on Tax lists.

2. Information on James Freeman, who is supposedly a witness for Aaron and Mary's marriage bond in 1769.

3. Information on Isaac Freeman who marries Agnes Faggott January 19, 1762. Isaac is listed as a Free Man of Color, and many have taken that to mean he was black. Native Americans were also listed as Free Men of Color on early census records, so I'm wondering if this might be a brother.

4. Information on Sarah Freeman who marries Adam Hall Jr. in Rowan Co. on March 16, 1778.

Any help is welcome. I understand that early researchers locked onto the Norfolk VA line, and that everyone since has listed Aaron Freeman descending through John Freeman of Norfolk Co. VA, to William Freeman and Mary Cording, to their son John Freeman and Tabitha Hoyter, to their son John. I also realize that this new information will effect many other researchers lines, and some may disagree with my findings. I've chosen to pursue this avenue of research based on the facts I have obtained and ask that other researchers respect that.

Thanks much.
Kim

Re: John Freeman, Samuel Freeman, Aaron Freeman, Isaac Freeman & James Freeman

Posted: 8 Sep 2012 10:12PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman Bentley
Hi Kim

I am responding to a two year old post.

1) I am a descendant of Aaron Freeman though his son Thomas and possibly James through a marriage of cousins

2) Unfortunately, I don't have any info that you don't have. I have also studied Ms Mosher's work and have her book. She does appear to have a strong case that our Aaron is not linked to "that" John.

3) I had heard about the DNA study but now recall that the link was through the male side, so it wouldn't help prove a link to Tabitha.

4) Regarding the witness to the marriage. I wonder if the James Freeman is not actually James Bentley, a son of Thomas. Stranger mistakes have been made.

I have recently become active in genealogy again and copied my tree in Ancestry.com I first made the tree in 1998.

Maybe we will have something more useful to share in the future

My Ancestry ID is TMBAF. My wife and I have public trees. My is JoeBFreeman. TMBAF is liked to my wife's email address . Mine is JOe4777@aol.com

Joe Freeman

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:34AM GMT
Surnames: Freeman
I am a descendent of Aaron Freeman, too, and my uncle and nephew tested Q1a3a for the paternal line, which confused us. I know of 2 other Freemans not in my immediate line who are related to Aaron as well. Would love it if we could all find each other to share research. Sure would love it if Ms Mosher knew of this new development from our DNA. Does anyone know if she is still living and well?

Jennifer Freeman

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman
1) Who I am:

Joe Freeman
email Joe4777@aol.com
Ancesty.com name TMBAF
familiy tree on Ancestry.com: JoeBFreeman

Ancestry (from Aaron Freeman): Thomas Freeman, Benjamin Freeman,Bejamin Craig Freeman, Joe Bailey Freeman

It now seems possible that Benjamin Craig married the daughter (Abigail)of his brother, James.

I am interested in researcing the ancesttry of Aaron Freeman

2) I am posting separatelyregarding Merrill Hiukk Mosher and her research

Joe Freeman

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman Mosher
RE Merrill Hill Mosher, AKA Mrs Donald Mosher

1) Her book "John Freeman of Norfolk County Va etc", was in print and aailable through Amazon.com last year. I purchsed a copy. Her book was first copyrighted in 1994. It was republished by Heritage Books, Inc in 2006

2) I corresponded with Ms Mosher in 1999 via regular mail to her at 9855 Arago Hwy, Coos Bay OR 97420

When we corresponded (1999) she had not done any futher reesearch on the issue of Aaron Freeman's ancestrry. Aaron Freeman was not one of her ancestors, and she believed that he could not be a descendant of John Freeman, the subject of her book

Joe Freeman
Joe4777@aol.com

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 6:42PM GMT
My 3rd great grandparents were Adam Hall and Sarah Freeman, who married in Rowan, NC in 1778. I have most of the Adam Hall's info. and know they are mine, but Sarah Freeman's linage has eluded me so far. I was told that Aaron Freeman was her father, but the one in NC. would have to be her brother as she was born abt. 1759 or so. Bernie

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 5:55PM GMT
I wish I could help with your Freeman lineage, but I can only confirm your doubt that your Sarah was the daughter of Aaron Freeman. If they are closely related, they must be siblings. My research has found at least three male Freeman's in Rowan early enough to be the parents or Sarah or Aaron, however, I have found nothing to confirm that Sarah and Aaron were related at all.

I did find a reference to a James Hall in a book written in the late 19th century called A History of Rowan. County, North Carolina. On page 262: "in 1778 the Rev. James Hall became pastor of Fourth Creek, Concord and Bethany Churches"

There is also a reference to a Dr James Hall being active in the formulation of camp meetings in 1799. I hope this is useful for you.

I believe that I am descended from Aaron Freeman through his son Thomas and have tried to trace the ancestry of Aaron.
Many family trees trace Aaron Freeman's ancestry back to Bertie, however, other published research shows this is not correct. So I have tried to find more about Aaron in many ways without much success.

Joe Freeman

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 7:41PM GMT
Thanks for the reply Joe. I have studied the James Hall that you mention, and I don't think he is our James Hall. Several Hall families lived on 4th and 5th creek at the same time in Rowan. I actually think the person that has Aaron as Sarah's father is possibly correct, as he knows much more than I do on Ancestors. I tried to connect with him several times and he did not answer. I will keep looking for other Aaron's in other places and etc. Was the other Aaron you mentioned in NC? Also I have marriage license of Adam and Sarah in Rowan if anyone interested. Bernie

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: Freeman, Hall,
I had meant to say in my last post that I think Sarah's father's name might be Aaron Freeman,But not the Aaron in Rowan, NC.
Bernie

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 2:55AM GMT
Info provided in North Carolina marriages 1741-2000 has the Aaron Freeman in question marrying Mary Bentley on December 17. 1769. (Mary was the daughter on Thomas Bently and Hannah Beasly. I have also seen a copy of the marriage bond between Aaron and Mary giving her family's consent to the marriage

While I am uncertain about Aaron's ancestry and even birth, most researchers assume that he was 24 years old when he married in 1769 He is listed in both the 1810 and 1820 census. I have shown his date as 1825. I don't know the source of this info, but it seems clear that he was deceased by the time of the 1830 census.

If you are interested in the documentation I have on Aaron, see my tree (Joe B Freeman Family Tree) on Ancestry.com Among other things, there is information from work done by a Mary Hill Mosher from a book she published on colonial North Carolina Freeman families. She identifies several Aaron Freeman's including the one who is my ancestor (also the one in Rowan) She disproves that he is the Aaron Freeman they descended from a John Freeman in Bertie She also lists his known male children (starting with Joshua in 1770) and notes that there were female children whose names she could not identify.

Sorry the Hall reference was not one of yours. My Aaron, of Rowan NC, is just not old enough to be the father of your Sarah.

Joe Freeman
per page

Find a board about a specific topic