Search for content in message boards

Good Job!!

Good Job!!

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I wanted to pop in and leave a quick comment. I logged on this morning to work on one of my trees and I noticed the site has been updated with improvements on adding records to people. I like the new system. I added a death record from the Illinois death records and the burial record was added also, something that was never done before. When you add a census it gives more details about the person when you look at that person's 'Overview' page.

Keep up the good work Ancesty!!!

Best Wishes,
Jen

Some good, more bad

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 5:17PM GMT
The main bad thing about the new format is that it takes an extra click to get to the information boxes to edit them.

Since Ancestry.com extracts and what's in the 'attach to' form customarily leave out dates for most military records (that are in the actual documents, such as dates of draft registrations and date of application for pension), leaves out parts of places in Census enumerations (not indexed but plainly in the documents) -- and often get the place just wrong, leave out parts of names that are in original records, wrongly transcribe dates and a huge number of other things, it is more often than not necessary to edit the form just for accuracy.

In the Ohio Deaths Index, the Ancestry.com entry in the form for place of death is very often a generic thing like "long term care facility" or "emergency room" rather than the geographic location -- even though city and county of death is usually given in even Ancestry.com's extract, and this data is **never** put in the place of death field. No real use at all.

The new form seems mainly intended to make it harder for users to edit the information put in the attach-to form. Perhaps this is part of the overall program to reduce server loading by eliminating user-helpful items as has been done in the trees in the past year. Boooooo.

If they would take away the overlay that makes it impossible to edit fields, and eliminate the ***extremely annoying*** required extra click on the "edit" link in order to get access to the data fields to correct what's in the form, many would appreciate the actual improvements in what is now attachable.

I hate having been automatically switched to this new version yesterday.

Re: Some good, more bad

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 5:20PM GMT
>>I hate having been automatically switched to this new version yesterday.<<

I'm not being auto-switched to it.

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 5:54PM GMT
I also got automatically switched yesterday, but at least now the "switch back" button works. The first time around it took 2 days before I could get back to the old version.

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 4:37PM GMT
I was automatically switched, too, and don't like it. I've had the link to try the "new" way to add records but never tried it because I was quite happy with the existing way. Change around here, generally more often than not, means not positive change. Since I had no choice in the matter a few days ago, my experience with the new way is that it's more cumbersome.

I could edit the information in the various fields by clicking into the fields, rather than clicking the "edit" button, so still had the same number of clicks as before. However, for census records saved, the system automatically filled in the description field with "age X" which I found redundant since that is already on the timeline for each life event shown on the profile.

For military records, such as draft registrations for WWI and WWI, it would add a 2nd residence event for the same record, 1st event for the place of registration and 2nd for the actual place of residence. I feel this is redundant, too, as most generally the places for both of these have been the same in the records I've saved. If they haven't been, I add a note to the description field to explain that Joe Doe registered in X place but lived in Y within the same township or county.

Either way, new or old, I agree that information in the "attach record" fields have to be edited every single time a record is attached because it never matches what the actual record contains.

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 6:02PM GMT
Regarding the age being included in the description - It is only redundant with the timeline age when the birth date on the timeline coincides with the age on the census record. Otherwise, it could be helpful to see the discrepancies between the age you expect and the age enumerated. If it is within a year or two it wouldn't concern me as much as if it is off by a decade in age.

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 7:19PM GMT
Karl, that's a very good point.

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 1:53AM GMT
Edited: 10 Dec 2012 1:54AM GMT
"I could edit the information in the various fields by clicking into the fields, rather than clicking the "edit" button, so still had the same number of clicks as before."

When I first tried the 'beta' I found that to be true.

However, when I was auto-switched to the new form the other day, I could not click on the field to edit; had to click on the "edit" link to free up the fields to allow making the necessary changes and additions.

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 6:14PM GMT
When we rolled the most recent update to the new way to save info to your tree, we were trying to make it more obvious that you can click on the tree side to edit fields, but somehow we ended up with a bug where the cursor didn't get included. Look for an update the coming weeks that will allow you to click on any of the fields and the cursor should appear in that field.

We really are trying to make it the same to edit your tree info because we know that date formats, places, etc don't always come through the way you would want them to and it not our intent to make it harder.

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 9:29PM GMT
Jen,

Just remove the overlay. Make it **instantly** possible to edit all of the fields to correct wrong place names, add the omitted dates, name-parts and place-name-segments, etc. with no extra clicks. Make it obvious to all users that the fields are still editable, just as in the attach-to form as it has been for years.

If a designer on staff thinks that most of the elements from Ancestry.com extracts and indexes, as entered in the attach-to-form, are accurate, they are badly mistaken. They need someone to tell them at the beginning of every day that this is simply not true. I do not recall a single one that did not need fixing in one way or another -- and if I ran into one, I would definitely remember it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic