Search for content in message boards

John Cavanagh

John Cavanagh

Celia Kavanagh Boylan (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cavanagh
John Cavanagh evicted during famine years Co Galway, father of Martin Cavanagh born 9th Nov 1827 Co Galway exact location unknown. Family emigrated to Staffordshire England but not the parents. Any info please. Associated names Conry, Fox, Smith, Spelman, Larkin, Sweeney, McAndrew, MacHale. First sighting in England around 1847-50 Bilston, West Midlands. Spelling of name changed to Kavanagh 1890s.

Re: John Cavanagh

Posted: 6 Nov 2007 1:50PM GMT
Surnames: Larkin Spellman Spollen
I am researching the Larkin's of Ballymoe, between Galway and Roscommon. Relation to Spellman (also rendered Spollen) by marriage. The Larkins moved from Ballymoe to Roscommon sometime on the mid-19th century. The Spellmans are still there.

Any connection?

Tony

Posted: 17 Dec 2007 2:26PM GMT
My family traces its roots to Ballymoe, County Galway. My great grandfather, Dominick Larkin, emigrated to the United States. Dominick had six brothers and one sister, Beatrice. Brother James, never left Ireland. Brother Peter emigrated to the US settling in St. Louis. Brother John was a member of the RIC, decorated for bravery, before emigrating to Australia where he died at age 40. His grandson, Leo Larkin, is a 78 year old Irish Christian Brother in Brisbane. I have recently made contact with Leo regarding family history. Another brother, "Gary", apparently fought for the Union during the American Civil War and is buried at the Old Soldiers Home in Leavenworth, Kansas. The remaining brother, whose name may have been Patrick, may have fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War. Beatrice, to my knowledge, never married; came to America where she worked as a governess before returning to Ireland late in life. My greatgrandfather Dominick had one son, John T. Larkin, Sr. who graduated from Christian Brothers College in St. Louis in 1896, became an optometrist, and operated a store in East St. Louis, IL. He died in 1963. His only son, my father, John T. Larkin, Jr. worked for the USPS in East St Louis until he retired. Dad passed away in 1995. I am the oldest of his five children: John, Patricia, Kevin, Thomas, and Timothy. Please contact me if you have questions or information to share. Thanks

John S. Larkin

Posted: 5 May 2009 5:26PM GMT
There is definitely a connection here.

Your Br Leo is the grandson of John who was in the RIC before moving to Australia. John had a brother Dominic.

I have these people in my tree. I also have their parents, Michael & Bridget. They lived in Marnellsgrove, near Ballymoe, Co. Galway.

I did not realise that there was more than two brothers. Can I ask where you found the records for this family?

Do you have any more information on the brother who stayed in Ireland? Birthdates or spouse?

Thanks and welcome to the family.

Tony

Posted: 6 May 2009 12:48AM GMT
Tony,
Michael and Bridget Larkin had 6 sons and one daughter. The eldest, James, never left Ireland; he lived in Marnell's Grove near Ballymoe; wife Margaret. James born in 1824??, died November 13, 1917. Peter emigrated to America- St. Louis, stayed in contact with other descendants, one of whom I met many years ago, Sr. Mary Rose O'Reilly. Dominick, my great-grandfather, was born November 2, 1840; emigrated to America in 1870, married Elisabeth Clark of Cincinnati, Ohio; had three children: John, my grandfather, Elizabeth Rose and Mary who both died in childhood. Dominick died June 22, 1893; he is buried in Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis. Patrick emigrated to the US also; worked as a blacksmith for the US Army, married, several children, died in Leavenworth, Kansas. Brother John went to Australia as you know. Sixth brother, Thomas, we think, has been untraceable so far.The only sister, Margaret,married Patrick McGloin on October 29, 1857, in Castlerea. Her children were born in Castlerea. Emigrated to the US- St Louis area; has at least one relative there. Most information has come from family oral tradition substantiated by research on the Internet, especially through ancestry.com. Have more if you're interested. Please send specific questions. Thanks
John Larkin

Posted: 6 May 2009 2:26PM GMT
Is this the same James who is buried in Balintubber cemetary:
Erected by James Larkin
& children, Marnellsgrove
in memory of his beloved
wife Maryanne, who died
3rd Aug. 1884 aged
40 yrs.
And of the above
James Larkin who died
13th Nov. 1917
aged 93 yrs.
His wife was Mary Anne Egan.

Do you know the name of his children?

Posted: 6 May 2009 2:31PM GMT
What is your source for James Larkin (b. 1824) being a brother to John Larkin (b. 1848)? That is a big gap and not a lot of siblings to fill it out even if James is the eldest and John the youngest.

Posted: 6 May 2009 2:38PM GMT
In an earlier post, you mentioned John has a sister Beatrice. Same person as Margaret who married McGloin?

Posted: 6 May 2009 2:41PM GMT
Patrick is the same fellow who fought for the Confederacy?

Where does "Gary" mentioned in an earlier post fit in?

Posted: 7 May 2009 12:39AM GMT
Patrick did not fight for the Confederacy. In fact, no member of Michael and Bridget's family fought in the Civil War for either side. Most emigrated after the war. Patrick was a blacksmith in the US Army after the Civil War. I'd have to re-check my sources, but I think he served seven years, then suffered a back injury and was discharged. "Gary" was a name for one of the brothers that was eliminated by comparison with the information provided by the Australian members of the Larkin family and by the St. Louis descendant of Margaret Larkin. Sources of information for Patrick were US ARmy service records and Leavenworth, Kansas obituaries and death notices. They are a bit confusing because there were at least three or four Patrick Larkins living in Leavenworth simultaneously.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions