Search for content in message boards

Ancestry windows 8 app

Ancestry windows 8 app

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 10:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I notice today that their is a app for Ancestry in the windows store. It doesn't seem to do a lot yet so hoping a work in process. Right now hard to move to different people. Can see hints but cant do anything with them. Doesn't appear you can edit anything yet either with it. Basicly can just display information.

Re: Ancestry windows 8 app

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 7:27AM GMT
I was talked into trying this on a new Windows 8 computer - what a cluttered up mess! I'm going to remove it and use FTM and the internet program, as before, because it's not intuitive, and comes across as disorganized (even if it works, which I couldn't really say because it made me just want to run away screaming).

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:25PM GMT
The only think I found I like was I could click on the number of people in tree, lets say 5000 and then click a letter for surname and quickly see everyone under that letter that had hints. Granted cant do anything with it yet.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 3:57PM GMT
I just saw this last night! I am actually very happy that Ancestry.com pushed this app out as quickly as they did. It shows that they are not going to ignore a potential Windows RT market.

I agree that you can basically just look at people, and you may have to work to find the person you want to see. However, I think it has great potential and the only screen that looks cluttered is the home screen (the personal details screen I didn't find that bad at all). I did notice that it links you to IE10 via a link at the bottom right to send you to Ancestry.com for any actual work.

I am leaving it installed and waiting for some updates, which I hope will make it an app that is at least as good as the iPad version.

I think it would be amazing if they eventually were able to bring FTM into a Win 8 app (even a lite version). That way I wouldn't need a computer to run FTM on trips-- a Win RT tablet would do the job at a fraction of the price.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic