Search for content in message boards

Estes Country of Origin?

Estes Country of Origin?

Posted: 20 Apr 2007 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Estes
Does anyone know the country of origin of the name Estes? I saw on the web many different countries.
Tom R
triord1@uic.edu

Re: Estes Country of Origin?

Posted: 14 Oct 2007 12:40AM GMT
There is an Estes Genealogy 1058-1894 written by Charles Estes of Rhode Island. In his book, he traces the Estes name back to Italy. Those from Italy travelled to France and England. Ones I have tracked in my family seem to have come from England, but I suspect you will find some that arrived in the US from a variety of sources. But I think you would find that Estes Genealogy to be of help. I bought a reprinted copy through Higginson Books. You may be able to view one in your state library to see if it answers any of your questions. Hope this is helpful.
Sally Downing, Dover-Foxcroft, Maine

Posted: 6 Jan 2008 3:34PM GMT
Sally Downing is correct as far as she went in explaining the origin of the Estes family. However, the name Estes started in England. Most people with the Estes name trace their origins to a Nicolas Estes of York, England. There is a debate about the rest. I have read several sources that trace the family name back to Italy. They believe that the real name of Nicolas Estes was Nicolo D'Este. The D'Este family can trace their line back to 1000's and earlier. They ruled part of Tuscany for centuries. They married into many powerful European families. An example is that one D'Este married Lucrecia Borgia. Her father was Rodrigo Borgia. He was also known as Pope Alexander IV, "The Spanish Pope." They married into the Hapsburg family. I found a very detailed article of the descendants of the D'Este family in a genealogy magazine. It mentions many royal names and families.

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 5:48PM GMT
Not sure what you have seen but my research shows my Father's lineage is from Odessa, Russia. My great-great grandfather, Moses Estes and his wife Sofia along with two sons, Jacob and Leon, immigrated in 1888. They were of the the Jewish faith and spoke only Yiddish when they arrived. Do you have any related information??

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 10:57AM GMT
Surnames: D'Este ---- Estess---- Gucciardo ------- Venezia
My G/G father was Salvatore D'Este born in Calatafimi, Sicily on Dec.18,1877 to Paolo D'Este & Rosaria Gucciardo.
Salvatore was born at home via Carnovle #8. I have all of his Birth Records, Marriage Certificate and Death Records.
That is where my Family Sur-name begin in Calatafimi,Sicily.
When he came to the U.S. to start a new life for him and his
family, they sacrifice everything by leaving their home & family in Calatafimi to come to the U.S. not even knowing the English language and at some point his Sur-Name was Americanized to Estess. Like many other Italians Sur-Name was change for one reason or another. In those early days the Italians were treated like third class citizens. But they all were just happy to be in the U.S. you could have called them Joe Blow or Sue Brown, they just wanted off that boat to start a new life here in America. My G/G father
finally took his Sur-Name of D'Este back and now I carry on
the D'Este name in my name and DAM proud of it.
I love my heritage. If anyone would like to contact me for info, my email address is: cobra226@bellsouth.net

Posted: 10 Nov 2008 12:51AM GMT
Surnames: Estes, d'Este, Estess
It's very interesting with all of these Estes, d'Este and related surnames from different origins. I have always wondered if the English Estes family did in fact descend from the Italian d'Este family. So far, we have been unable to find a man with the surname of d'Este to do the DNA test. We know that there are currently several different lines of Estes in the US. Some of them do descend from England, but others may come from other parts of the world. I would love to know if we are all related. Mr. d'Este, if you are willing to do the dna for genealogy test, we can find out. I have a scholarship paid for already for a d'Este gentleman from Italy or who descends from an Italian d'Este family, and you fit the bill.

For everyone else, we welcome all variant spellings. You can take a look at the project at www.familytreedna.com/public/estes.

Roberta Estes (volunteer surname administrator)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions