Search for content in message boards

any other possible naturalization court ??

any other possible naturalization court ??

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 3:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking naturalization record for railroad worker on the Genesee Valley RR which became the Erie RR - all in Rochester area yet the county court does not have his naturalization papers - at all. Is there any other possible court other than the Monroe County Clerk that I could try, in the Monroe county area outside of Rochester? city court ? federal even? I am stumped.

Re: any other possible naturalization court ??

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 2:57AM GMT
Year?

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 1:47AM GMT
It seems that all of this would have taken place after 1858. That early, the naturalization records might only say, "I renounce the King of England" or something like that. After 1906 they are much more informative. And it's not at all unusual for someone NOT to be naturalized, or even to start the process in one court and finish it in another state.
See:
Title Naturalization records of New York State /
Corr. ed.
Publisher Syracuse, N.Y. : New York State Council of Genealogical Organizations, 2001, c1999.
Paging 44 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
Series Stmt New York State Council of Genealogical Organizations publication ; no. 1
Notes Includes bibliographical references (p. 5).
Subjects Naturalization records New York (State) Directories.
New York (State) Genealogy.
Other Names Austin, John D.

According to worldcat.org, 12 libraries in the nation own it.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 2:31AM GMT
This ancestor arrived in NY 1849 - sorry I didnt state year. Understand it varies from county to county and with the railroad work not sure which county he was in or even what year it would have been necessary for him to be naturalized.

Will try for the book - maybe someone will interlibrary loan it to me, glad to know the title.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 2:43PM GMT
County Court was the only one that could do naturalizations before 1906 when the Federal Govt. took over that function.

Not every immigrant bothered to get naturalized. The only advantage of being a US citizen was that they could vote.

I gave input on that book that others mentioned for Monroe County naturalizations. I never did see the finished book.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 3:02PM GMT
Am presently combing through 1855 census for my ancestor for more clue on location in time. My g-g-grandfather had a common given name and surname, and in a populous state like NY, it is all very difficult.

The type of court question I raised due to such statements as this in the familysearch wiki for NY naturalizations "Because an alien could naturalize in any court of record, naturalization indexes and records are found in courts that performed naturalizations. For New York, these courts include county, city, district, circuit, superior, marine, common pleas, and supreme. "https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/New_York_Naturali...

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 4:35AM GMT
For what it's worth, the LDS Familysearch recently made and index and images to the 1855 census.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1937366
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions