Search for content in message boards

Poplar Grove Cemetery in Phillipsport

Poplar Grove Cemetery in Phillipsport

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 2:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
I visited Poplar Grove about a month ago and it appeared the grass had not been cut this year and was very high. I was unable to locate the headstone I was looking for. My questions are: Has anyone been to this cemetery recently and has the grass been cut? And do burial records for this cemetery exist somewhere? Thanks very much for any help!

Re: Poplar Grove Cemetery in Phillipsport

Posted: 2 Aug 2012 4:52AM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2012 4:53AM GMT
The grass had still not been cut when I was there 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure if burial records exist; you might try contacting Loucks funeral home in Ellenville or the Kenny-Van Inwegen funeral home in Wurtsboro. Gertrude Barber did a survey of the cemetery in 1930 and published the transcriptions of most of the stones that were standing at that time. I will gladly do lookups if you have a pre-1930 burial. I have been photographing stones in parts of the older section of the cemetery (at least I was until the grass got so high). What gravestone(s) are you looking for?
Vivian

Posted: 10 Aug 2012 3:29PM GMT
Poplar Grove Cemetery Association
PO Box 57
Summitville, NY 12781

Maybe they can help?

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 1:41AM GMT
I was there last weekend and it was cut and there was someone working clearing branches.

My wife, brother, and sister-in-law went out there last year and cleared an entire section that had been overgrown and the stones covered. Since then the new assoc. (above) have been taking care of it but maybe not so often or regular frequency.

As mentioned, if there is anyone in particular perhaps we could help. I may be out that way this weekend.

Joe..

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 1:27PM GMT
Surnames: Kelly
Joe,

Thank you for posting! I'm really glad to hear it's been cut. When I went a few weeks ago the grass was nearly up to my waist and I couldn't find any of the stones I was looking for. I was looking for my ggg grandfather's stone, William Kelly. He's listed in the Barber transcription from 1930, but I'm thinking his stone may have fallen. Another researcher posted a photo of his daughter's stone (Arminda Kelly) which has fallen and he was buried next to her. Hopefully I'll have a chance to take another look in the coming weeks.

Thanks again! Frank

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 1:28PM GMT
Vivian,

Thank you for your reply! I've been offline for a while.

Frank

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 3:13PM GMT
I wanted to thank everyone again for their help. I went to Poplar Grove over the weekend and found the gravestones I was looking for.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic