Search for content in message boards

Marriage Lookup

Marriage Lookup

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nesbitt, Barrows, Walls
I'm looking for some sort of record of a marriage taking place between Arthur Nesbitt and Madelyn (Madeline) Barrows (Walls?) that was supposed to have taken place in Rochester in April 1925. The marriage was officiated by Rev. Walter Adams. I have been unable to find anything to support this information. Is there anyone out there who either has this information or maybe has easy access to the Monroe County vital records?

Re: Marriage Lookup

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 2:16AM GMT
The LDS has the searchable marriage records for most of the state including Monroe County 1908-1935 online for free.Have you tried that? Or maybe they were married elsewhere, or the marriage was not recorded (that happens!).

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 1:39PM GMT
Surnames: Nesbitt, Barrows, Walls
I have tried the LDS site and there isn't anything there. I have a family bible that lists the date (4/12/1925) as well as place (Rochester, NY), the officiate, and even witness names! I've actually been looking for this information on and off for years and earlier inquiries have come back with no results on either the marriage or a Rev. Walter Adams. I've been able to piece together some oddities and have come to the conclusion that Madeline (my maternal grandmother) led an interesting life in her early years including a 1st marriage that family members knew nothing about. I find documentation on her 1st and 3rd marriages but nothing on the 2nd to the man who was actually my biological grandfather, making me wonder if he was the only one she WASN'T married to??

Thanks for the reply. If you have any other ideas, I'm certainly open to them!

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 3:11PM GMT
The 1925 city directory has several Walter Adamses, but not as a clergyman. Same for the list of clergymen in the back of the directory. No Walter Adams as clergy. It could be a civil wedding that was not recorded (it's still a valid ceremony even if it's not recorded.) The 1925 state census was taken June 1, and Arthur Nesbitt shows as a single laborer. By 1930 an Arthur Nesbitt is living in Hamlin, Monroe County with a wife Myra. Confusing.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 7:41PM GMT
I have the 1930 census documenting Arthur and Madeline (not Myra) and Jean (my mother)living in Orleans County. It is interesting that if they were married in April of 1925 Arthur is listed as single in June. Although I think there may have been two Arthur Nesbitts floating around the area at the same time - Perhaps that's the explanation. No matter, its all very frustrating.....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions