Search for content in message boards

Fremont Center Cemetery-Address please

Fremont Center Cemetery-Address please

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 10:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown
I'm trying to locate the Fremont Center Cemetery, to see if I can reach someone there to get a burial record for Melancthon Smith Brown, who died between 1900 and 1910. Any help would be much appreciated.

Lois Johnson

Re: Fremont Center Cemetery-Address please

Posted: 10 Aug 2012 3:27PM GMT
Probably not the physical address of the cemetery, but of those who run it:

Fremont Center Cemetery Association
8562 County Rt. 46
Arkport, NY 14807

The list I have is showing it to be in Steuben County.

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 6:58PM GMT
I will attempt to get it from my aunt who told about that gravestone no longer being visible. She had told me that the church where the cemetary is has changed hands several times ant ther cemetery was not being properly matained.

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 7:31PM GMT
Thank you so much.

Lois

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 11:38PM GMT
Lois,
I currently live in Fremont Center. As the previous poster told you, the church has changed hands, and not only the maintenance of the cemetery grounds but also that of the records has been hit and miss. I spoke to the head of the small local historical society who said he would look into for me, and I'll get back to you. The organization and Town itself is low-tech, to put it gently, and there is no email or website to share with you, other than one for town board business, with a page of town history that I doubt would be of any use to you.

Regards,
Dorothy Hartz

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 11:50PM GMT
Lois,
I don't know why I didn't check BEFORE I hit "Post," but some inkling made me look at the town website right after I did so. It's changed- it now has links to anecdotal chapters of town history by a former town historian. I saw mention of a "Dr. Smith." Perhaps your Smith?

http://www.fremontnewyork.us/historypage12.html

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 5:21PM GMT
Hi Lois...
I have a few people on the ground trying to help me with melancthon brown... not sure I can find where you get smith from (can you let me know?). There also may be an melancthon smith in the area based on a land exchange i found on ancestry. i am waiting on a reply through facebook on the "town of fremont" page as well. What a tangled life melancthon seems to have...

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 7:48PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Smith, Harding
Melancthon Smith Brown has Smith as a middle name as he was named for his uncle Melancthon Smith. His aunt was Amanda Harding Smith.

Thank you for all the research you are doing!
Lois

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 8:28PM GMT
Lightbulb moment! I am working w Denise from Sullivan co and my aunt(s) to help untangle melanchthon... Progresing slowly, but enjoying.

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 10:26PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2013 10:27PM GMT
Here is the address for the cemetery group, which meets once a year in April.

Fremont Center Cemetery Association, ℅ Audra Sipple Spath, 15 Sipple Road, Mileses, NY 12741
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions