Search for content in message boards

Marriage Records and other illogical recent changes to the website

Marriage Records and other illogical recent changes to the website

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 5:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Before the latest upgrade of the ancestry website when you saved a marriage record it automatically linked it to the other relevant spouse in the marriage also. Now this no longer happens. Why?

Also previously the field for editing such as the actual date of census were fields that your browser eg Firefox could memorize now the field characteristics have been changed so previous entries can no longer be recalled. Again why?

Re: Marriage Records and other illogical recent changes to the website

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 7:06AM GMT
Marriage records only automatically linked to the other spouse if the marriage fact was already created before saving the record, or if both spouses were indexed in the record to begin with. As far as I can tell, it is still working that way for me.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 4:02PM GMT
As to the marriage records - it depends entirely on the database as to whether it will go and find the relevant spouse and link to that person, when no "marriage fact" already exists. Some do, and some don't (and on some other databases - such as the California divorce index - trying to link to an existing fact actually wipes out information, by changing "divorce from John Doe" to a generic "divorce" that is linked only to the person whose profile you have open).

The best way to do this is to create the marriage fact first, in which case the system generally will link to that. But be aware, it will try to link to the FIRST marriage fact in the timeline, so if this is a second marriage, it will try to link to the earlier one. In that case, if the second spouse has only this marriage, you should save to the second spouse in order to get it to link to the correct marriage (for both spouses).

I have no information about your FF questions - sorry, I don't use that browser.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 10:59PM GMT
I create the marriage fact myself about 98% of the time. I'm finding that sometimes, Ancestry uses the fact I create when I find a reference, and sometimes it doesn't. And, sometimes, it changes the title from "Marriage to John Smith" that I created to just "Marriage." Sometimes, it creates a new marriage record with the same date that I entered. In that case, I have to manually go in and adjust the sources and details to the one I created. If later sources come in, it will create a new marriage record instead of using the one that is already there.
I have not done enough research and tracking on it to tell if it is just certain databases that work oddly , or whether it is the matching process itself that gets confused.
Best advice is to check your overview page after adding any sources to make sure they go where you want them to go.
I do have the same problem mentioned about 2nd and subsequent marriages. They can get really messed up at times.
Barbara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic