Search for content in message boards

Suggestion that teafor2/obits/etc. posts be confined to one annual thread each

Suggestion that teafor2/obits/etc. posts be confined to one annual thread each

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 5:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
I will reference an earlier thread on this topic:

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?o=0&m=10049.4.1&a...

Cliffs from that thread:

1) complaint teafor2 is "clogging the first page of various boards" with spam to an external site

2) some users agree

3) Joan points out it does not violate the TOS

4) others say it is helpful and the site owner is not spamming but is being helpful.

I am in the clogging camp as it requires me to click more often on favorite boards to see recent posts other than these. Also whether the teafor2 guy is spamming or not (i.e. makes no revenue from his site including advertising in any form), it looks, walks and quacks like spam. For the the purpose of this thread I am willing to stipulate he is not spamming and that some users will find his posts helpful.

However it is of note that these types of posts, like obits, are announcements and rarely generate any discussion. And for some of us, they do "clog" the boards.

So my suggestion is that board admins merge all posts in a given board by teafor2 and similar announcement posters into a single, or at least single annual thread. Then they can continue to make such posts as replies in that thread, and all of which is still searchable.

As an alternative for the teafor2 site in particular, perhaps Acom could simply index it and add it to search results thus accomplishing the same purpose at least for his postings.

Re: Suggestion that teafor2/obits/etc. posts be confined to one annual thread each

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 9:20AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2012 9:23AM GMT
Andy Hatchett said it best, in that earlier thread you referenced:

"If you are browsing a board and that board gets over 50 postings a day then no matter what they are you have to go to the second page to see all the posting for that day, so what does it matter what the first 50 are?"

In your attempt to make this all about teafor2, you've actually made it all about you.

Re: Suggestion that teafor2/obits/etc. posts be confined to one annual thread each

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 10:26AM GMT
lud,

You know I respect your opinion, BUT. AGH's advice depends on its premise. Most of the boards I browse don't get 50, or even 25 posts a day, which makes them easy to peruse quickly absent such announcement postings.

Also even if you think I and others who feel the same are wrong in how we view it, is there anything wrong with the suggestion that teafor2, habitual obit posters, etc., just keep adding to one thread? To me it seems like a way for a community to attempt to satisfy all its users. Or do you feel that teafor2 or an obit poster having to post in only one thread (despite the fact that searches turn them up easily), somehow devalues their announcements/links?

And what would you say if AGH channeled his stream of consciousness (I know sorry for the thought), into 25 or 50 different posts a day in the same board albeit all genealogical?

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 1:27PM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2012 1:31PM GMT
The board admins don't have the ability to merge threads, so that's a non-starter.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 4:09PM GMT
oh my, the board "employee" covered this on the Board Admin board: http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.rw.admin.badmin/5368/mb.as...

I recall there was some discussion on that thread, but it's been deleted by the board admin of the Board Admin board.

I'm bored.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 4:32PM GMT
As I recall, the discussion became a bit, um, heated. The situation started with a few board admins moving teafor2 posts off their surname boards, or deleting them outright. It got pretty ugly for a while.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 5:31PM GMT
Mike - please correct me if I'm wrong regarding this scenario: teafor2 creates an initial post on January 1, 2012. He adds to that post by means of editing, throughout the year. In the meantime several hundred new posts are added to that board. What happens to teafor2's post? It drops to page 4 or 5 or worse, never to be seen again. Is that fair to teafor2? The boards were not designed to let edits float back to the top of the list.

You indicate that your premise for this request is that you have some heavy-traffic boards that are being affected. Please list five boards where teafor2 has made more than 50 posts in a day.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 9:30PM GMT
lud,

I don't mean that teafor2 adds to his OP via editing, but rather as replies to his own OP in that one thread. Thus every time he adds a new reply the thread floats back up to the top.

Re the number 50, I never brought it up, you did (quoting AGH). Some people set their preferences to 10 or 25 instead of 50 to avoid scrolling overly much. Set to 10, one board I view has its first page totally taken up by teafor2 posts. The point is that he posts in batches a lot which makes large blocks of his posts taking up screen space.

So with new replies in one thread, which floats the thread to the top each time he posts, do you have an objection, or think he would have a reasonable objection, to just putting all those posts in one thread moving forward (and forgetting merging previous posts)?

Also to me, X number of posts in a Smith surname board with links to Smith grave data on the teafor2 site is the same topic. Any reason each link needs its own separate thread?

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 11:09PM GMT
Mike: the one thing that makes our boards "special" for use by genealogists (as opposed to a generic plain vanilla board system for general usage) is that fact that they are designed for posting queries AND data (searchable by classification) which is then "archived" for future users to find in a search (or by browsing if they so choose).

Nothing fits the DATA element of our boards better than the Teafor2 posts! They are data pure and simple and are not causing anyone any harm in the process.

Personally, I find the data posts on our boards more valuable than most of the queries that only are of interest to a relative few users. Data posts could help a researcher many years in the future who is searching for someone included in the old data posts...and data posts provide...well DATA, not just queries that may have gone unanswered.

Joan

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 3:36AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2013 6:36PM GMT
I read through the original post you are talking about and I know this is not a popular opinion. However, I find multiple obit postings clutter up the boards. There are people who obviously sit and copy out all of the obits from their local paper daily. I would not be very excited about posting a query on that board, since it would be lost in the clutter. I think that each state should have an obits board, and people can post them there. I like the idea of the poster replying to his original post as an alternative.
I asked the board administrator on one board if that could be a possiblity, (since our lovely rw friend suggested we should do that instead of discussing issues among ourselves) but so far no answer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic