Search for content in message boards

Ohio Death Index

Ohio Death Index

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 11:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Ohio Deaths 1938-2007 contain no records from 1952, 1953, 1954, or 1955. The records from 1950, 1951, 1956 and 1957 list the wrong county of death. Knox County is listed on one third of deaths. This is too high a percentage for one county. Other years seem to have similar problems.

Re: Ohio Death Index

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 1:35PM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2012 1:35PM GMT
Have you read the description of the database?

I have found many incidences where a database (not necessarily Ancestry's) will be titled with a wide range for time and location. When you access that database the locations are limited, and there may be only a little data at the extremes of the time frame.

My advice would be not to concentrate on one database or one repository of records, (Ancestry, Familysearch, etc.)

If you know the date and county of death, I would contact the Ohio County offices. Most of them are online and have an email address to contact for information. The cost is usually nominal (2-3 dollars for an un certified copy)

I have received information from several Ohio and Indiana counties and find the staffs are very helpful

Re: Ohio Death Index

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 7:48PM GMT
Yes, I have read the description of this database -- several times. It says deaths from 1908-1932 and 1938-2007. Since it has no records from the years I mentioned I believe it should note that. Also, I have many death certificates from Ohio (over 400). I am not looking for new information. What I am saying is that the information in this database does not correspond to what is on the actual death certificate. And that Knox County in particular is disproportionately misrepresented. In short, you cannot trust the information found.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions