Classification: Query
Surnames: all boards
This post was deleted by the author on 8 Jan 2013 11:54AM GMT

Re: private trees and public trees

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 3:20PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2012 3:23PM GMT
Here we go again ....

"Blocking" prevents private messages from another member, it has nothing to do with your tree.

You have an interesting profile page.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 3:28PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2012 3:29PM GMT
Aloise,

For a full discussion of these issues, you might want to do a search of the message boards on this topic. There are many different views, and people have very individual reasons for making trees public or private (and some members, like me, have both public and private trees). The answers to the questions you raise aren't nearly as simple as you seem to believe.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 3:36PM GMT
Part of what *you* agreed to when you made your tree public is that it would become part of the public tree database and would be accessible to paying members of ancestry. That includes those susbcribers who have a private tree... In addition, when you uploaded media to a public tree, you granted permission for others to attach the media in their own trees - the comment in your profile notwithstanding. That's what you agreed to. If that's a problem for you, you should reconsider your privacy settings.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 4:40PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2012 5:01PM GMT
Private tree here. No worries about me getting on your tree. Too many crests and cute pictures for my liking.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 5:10PM GMT
aloise,

If you're looking for the cleverly concealed "Newbie" board, here it is:

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.researchresources.newbies/...

I promise not to copy ANYTHING off your tree too.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 5:32PM GMT
I do not see any original pictures with watermarks which would certainly make sure what was yours was credited to you, but then I see all those purloined internet pictures of family crests, 16th century and before people, flags etc. Hmmm !

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 6:56PM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 4 Oct 2013 3:17AM GMT

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 7:49PM GMT
Do what I do - use software on your own computer and "own" your tree. Just make sure it is backed up. There is no reason you cannot download and attach documents from Ancestry to the software on your computer. You can still contact and work with people who share your family.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 3:11AM GMT
It's been "interesting reading this thread". My tree is public and if anybody wants to borrow from it, have at it. I also know that I have things in it to fix when I am able to complete these edits, so use at your own peril I say. However, I gotta admit it is a bit frustrating to go to the effort of travelling hours to a family cemetery, uploading pics, happy to make them public, and then I see people using my greatgrandparents cemetery pics, which is great, but since I am having a hard time with that line, making some connections, it's frustrating to find out I can't learn a thing when it's private. Maybe if I email them, however, it seems like people just ignore you, whenever I have emailed for that purpose. Otherwise I have found genealogists/family historians to be some of the most generous people around.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic