Search for content in message boards

Meriwether Lewis

Meriwether Lewis

Posted: 12 Jul 2010 12:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am still trying to track down the Pittsburgh family of Meriwether Lewis. Meriwether Lewis lived in the Pittsburgh area for about 8 years. From 1794 at the start of the Whiskey Rebellion to when Thomas Jefferson became President about 8 years later. Historians want to say he lived at Ft Pitt by himself for those 8 years. I think different and he had a wife and family in Pittsburgh. I believe his family somehow interconnects with the family of Sacajawea. I am looking for some input on this idea even if it's a disagreement. So what do you know about Meriwether Lewis?

Re: Meriwether Lewis

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 2:24AM GMT
If you mean the Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis & Clark Expedition, everything I've seen says he never married and, possibly, committed suicide in 1809. Wikipedia has a good bio on him.

Gloria

Posted: 17 Jul 2010 12:57AM GMT
I am trying to match Meriwether Lewis with his partner William Clark. William Clark's son General Meriwether Lewis Clark was General Robert E Lee's aid in Richmond during the Civil War. If that the case and Union General George McClellan's aid was Lt Col John Jacob Astor Jr, I believe there is more to the story about Meriwether Lewis then you can find in Wikipedia.

It seems Ft Astoria in Washington State has ties to both Sacagawea and her extended family and Meriwether Lewis. More so since William Clark adopted John Baptiste making John Baptiste the foster brother of General Meriwether Lewis Clark.

Posted: 17 Jul 2010 9:57PM GMT
Meriwether Lewis died at Grinder's Stand, Hohenwald, Lewis Co., TN. Google Grinder's Stand and Lewis Co., TN there maybe additional info you may find, either way it’s an interesting read. Since I live in E.TN, a couple of years ago there was talk of exhuming Meriwether Lewis body to determine if he had committed suicide or was murdered. It wasn’t done. Google exhuming Meriwether Lewis
But this has been known: "A document reveals that the Tennessee monument committee actually opened the grave of Meriwether Lewis to confirm that they had the right gravesite, and examined his upper torso. One of the members of the committee, Samuel B. Moore, was a physician. (History and Genealogy-State Records-Acts of Tennessee, 1831-1850). It was not their purpose to investigate the cause of Lewis’s death. However, later in their 1850 Monument Committee Report to the General Assembly of Tennessee, they stated:

“The impression has long prevailed that under the influence of disease and body—of hopes based upon long and valuable services—not merely deferred but wholly disappointed—Governor Lewis perished by his own hands. It seems to be more probable that he died by the hands of an assassin.”

http://www.lewisandclarktravel.com/index.php/site/was_meriwe...
Again an interesting read.
Patti

Posted: 17 Jul 2010 10:34PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. My research is based on William Clark adopting John Baptiste the son of Sacajawea. If that is true, then that makes John Baptise the foster brother of General Meriwether Lewis Clark the aid to General Robert E Lee during the Civil War.

I am working from Pittsburgh Whiskey Rebellion records that Captain Meriwether Lewis was Col Alexander Hamilton's aid. Then Alexander Hamilton mother was Rachael Fawcett. It's the Pittsburgh Fawcett records that tell me Meriwether Lewis's Pittsburgh family might have been related to Sacajawea.

This idea rests on if William Clark adopted John Baptiste or not. For sure if he did, then his foster brother was General Meriwether Lewis Clark the son of William Clark and aid to General Robert E Lee.

Posted: 17 Jul 2010 11:18PM GMT
Google Sacagawea

It doesn't appear William Clark ever adopt him, only became his guardian.
As further proof that Sacagawea died in 1812, Butterfield writes:

"An adoption document made in the Orphans Court Records in St. Louis, Missouri states, 'On August 11, 1813, William Clark became the guardian of 'Tousant Charbonneau, a boy about ten years, and Lizette Charbonneau, a girl about one year old.' For a Missouri State Court at the time, to designate a child as orphaned and to allow an adoption, both parents had to be confirmed dead in court papers."
"The last recorded document citing Sacagawea's existence appears in William Clark's original notes written between 1825-1826. He lists the names of each of the expedition members and their last known whereabouts. For Sacagawea he writes: "Se car ja we au- Dead." (Jackson, 1962)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea

SACAGAWEA'S BABY - Jean Baptiste Charbonneau
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Baptiste_Charbonneau

Posted: 18 Jul 2010 12:01AM GMT
Adoption or Guardian I am not sure that changes the connection to his foster or guardian brother General Meriwether Lewis Clark who was the aid to General Robert E Lee do you? I am trying to figure out where John Baptiste was living if at all during the Civil War?

Posted: 18 Jan 2011 1:50AM GMT
My family firmly believes that they are descendents of Meriwether Lewis. Your Pittsbourgh theory is interesting and fits some of the stories I've heard passed down from generation to generation. I am not certain if the connection is through our Silver or Smith side but will ask my Great Uncle.

Posted: 18 Jan 2011 3:36AM GMT
I have alot of updated information. It's the ties that Captain Meriwether Lewis had with his boss Col Alexander Hamilton during the Whiskey Rebellion in Pittsburgh that is the most telling.

I am going by the records of Gist Gratz Myers Sherman McCloskey Ryan and Heeney families of Father Thomas Ewing Sherman the son of General William T Sherman.

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 9:14AM GMT
Surnames: Charbonneau, Clark, Sacajawea, Sobeski, Jobeski
I am the Descendant of Sobricki Clark, Grandson of Sacajawea and Clark, the Explorer by way of her Daughter Lizzette having a son in 1827 by Meriwether Lewis Clark (Who was sent around the same time, off to military camp). He was also known in some records I have found as Sobeski & Jobeski Clark. Any Historians out there who can help gather documentation to help "Prove" our lineage? "An adoption document made in the Orphans Court Records in St. Louis, Missouri states, 'On August 11, 1813, William Clark became the guardian of 'Tousant Charbonneau, a boy about ten years, and Lizette Charbonneau, a girl about one year old.' I would like to register to our Proper Tribes and to bring recognition and Honor to our Ancestors :) To many days has passed. Our Cultures and Languages need to be renewed and restored to our People ♥ Idle No More <3
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions