Search for content in message boards

Douglas ancestors

Douglas ancestors

Posted: 20 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 May 2002 1:46AM GMT
Surnames: Douglas
I am looking to find out more of my ancesters in Nova Scotia and Scotland. My great grandfather was William Douglas, born 1854, and his wife was Jane, born 1853. They had three children Ralph, Clayton, and Cora. I have known Cora. I have info from Milton Douglas' bible linking the Douglas family to Eckford,Scotland. The Douglas family can be traced to Mailfield, Parrish Eckford, Rosleyshire, Scotland. James and Jane were the parents of Margaret,James, Agnes, John, Robert, and Barbery. Robert and Barbery were twins. John was born January 12, 1794. John left Scotland in the spring of 1815 to come to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. John came to Liverpool, Queens County, Nova Scotia. Milton Douglas'descendants can be traced to Caledonia, Queens County, Nova Scotia and Shelburne, Nova Scotia. I'd like to know more of the other Douglas ancestors, if anyone can help. Thanks for any possible help.

Re: Douglas ancestors

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 9:34PM GMT
I'm hopeing you can help me understand a baptism paper on John Douglas
On the marriage Cert. it says Johns parents are John Douglas and Ann Duncan
Anything you could tell me would help with this mystery
Attachments:

burdette uhlman (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2006 6:02PM GMT
This is not a family that I am researching but I stumbled across your query quite by accident and it intrigued me. The 1901 and 1911 Canadian Census is available free online in a searchable format and I looked up your family. They are in the Cape Breton/North Victoria Census, District 17, Sydney Mines, page 13 and 14.
Page 13 ends with your John (head) and Annie Dongola and three of their children (names all spelled Dongola with a ? after them) Page 14 starts with the last two of their children including your John born in 1909 and their names are spelled Dongela.
The interesting part is that you can click on a link which will take you to an image of the actual page. The above family are all listed as Polish. If this is the family of your John Douglas, he must have decided at some point to anglicise his name. You’ll want to check this out for yourself. The website is
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html
Happy Hunting
Burdette

Posted: 30 May 2012 9:09PM GMT
Surnames: DOUGLAS, HAWKESWORTH, AINSLEY
Hi. One of my ggg-grandfathers is Robert DOUGLAS s/o James, husband of Elizabeth HAWKESWORTH, and twin of Barbara. From what I can gather he was born in 1799 in Ancrum, Roxburgh, Scotland. He married Elizabeth in 1823 in Annapolis Co. NS. Their children were Sarah Jane, James Howard, Barbara Ellenor, Margaret Ann (my line), John Hawkesworth, Robert Joshua, Mary Sophronia, Francis Outhit.

I have come across some information to suggest that my ggg-grandfather's mother was Jane or Janet AINSLEY and that Robert may be the brother of John DOUGLAS of Caledonia Queen's Co. NS. Can you confirm this? If you believe our families are related do you have any information and/or pictures I could persuade you to share?

Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon. Thanks, Karen

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 11:42PM GMT
I was born and raised in Caledonia, Queens County, Nova Scotia and grew up playing with one of the direct descendants of John Douglas; I knew all of the Douglas's in that community. Although I have not lived there in 40 years I am current on the few that are still living there. How can I be of help? I know one of the Douglas ladies, now in her 80's, who may be willing to fill in some blanks for you. I noted that the last comment on the Douglas family was 2006. I'll wait for your return reply.

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 1:55AM GMT
Surnames: DOUGLAS
Hello. How very nice to hear from you. I have been researching the various branches of my family for a number of years. Up until recently I've had no leads on taking my Douglas branch back to Scotland. I came across a query in the NS Genealogist newsletter (from back in the 1970's) suggesting that my Robert Douglas family, Robert being born in Scotland and living in Port George Annapolis Co., was related to John Douglas in Caledonia Queens Co., that they were in fact brothers. When I started looking into the records in Queen Co. I discovered that John was from Roxburgh Scotland and that his parents were James & Jane. If John & Robert were in fact brothers then it is likely that my Robert was born in Roxburgh too & to the same parents. Anyway, that is what I am trying to do, prove somehow that John Douglas of Caledonia & Robert Douglas of Port George were brothers. I was hoping to make contact with someone who could confirm this with written documentation, photographs or oral tradition. A bonus would be that they knew something of their life & family in Scotland so I could continue the line further back.

I hope you can help or put me in contact with someone who can. Thank you so much for answering my query. I hope to hear from you again in the near future.

Sincerely,
Karen Slauenwhite-Eldershaw

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 10:06PM GMT
Robert Douglas is the twin of Barbara: both were christened on Mar. 3 1799 in Scotland. Both are the brother of John Douglas (born Jan. 12, 1794. John was a pioneer settler of Caledonia and married to Abigail P. Foster of Port Medway near Liverpool, Nova Scotia. I am a 3rd great grandson of John and Abigail Douglas. The mother of Robert Douglas is Jane Mill not Ainsley. Jane Mill was married to James Douglas.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 10:29PM GMT
I am related to the Caledonia Douglas family through the Dolliver line. I have a little bit of information on Abigail and her father Melton Douglas; Albert Douglas; Elizabeth Ann and her father James Douglas. Priscilla

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 1:25AM GMT
Hello,

I can't tell you how thrilled I was to see the message from you in my mailbox today! I was beginning to think no one had an interest in the ancestry of our Douglas line. Can you tell me what your sources are for this information? Do you have any further information you would be willing to share?

Thank you so much for answering my query.
Karen

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: Douglas
Hello Priscilla,

It seems I hit the jackpot with 2 responses to my Douglas query on the same day. I would be very happy to receive any information you would like to share on the people mentioned in your post.

Thank you for responding.
Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions