Search for content in message boards

TAYLOR, HARRELL, GRIFFIN, SAVAGE, & WEEKS

TAYLOR, HARRELL, GRIFFIN, SAVAGE, & WEEKS

Jennifer Price (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would appreciate any help from descendants of the names above in Martin Co. and anyone else willing to help me find my ancestors from Martin Co. I have come across so many individuals with TAYLOR,GRIFFIN,HARRELL,SAVAGE,and WEEKS ties to Martin and Edgecombe Co.,but in two years of constant tries, I have unbelievably gotten nowhere with this family.

My great great great grandfather was JOHN DANIEL TAYLOR, who was living in the home of WILLIAM (O.K.?)GRIFFIN, age 30 in the 1850 census for Martin Co. At the time, JOHN D. TAYLOR was only 12. Also living in the home of this WILLIAM GRIFFIN was CAROLYN/CAROLINE GRIFFIN 23(his wife i'm assuming), JAMES HARRELL 30, SALLY HARRELL 40, and John's two older sisters, MARTHA TAYLOR 16, and CAROLINE/CAROLYN TAYLOR, 14. It is family oral history that John, Martha, and Carolyn/Caroline Taylor's parent's were JOHN TAYLOR and MARY WEEKS, but this cannot be proven(no other names either). Apparently, this John and Mary Taylor must have been dead by the 1850 census, but no one is quite sure what happened to them, except one of my grandmother's cousins, who says that before there was treatment for RABEES, my greatx4 grandmother, this Mary contracted the illness and bit her husband, John Sr., infecting him as well. It was also said that they had to be tied to a tree to keep them from infecting others. Are there any obituaries, wills, or anything around that might prove anything for me?

John Daniel Taylor(a carpenter/engineer) at some point(late 1850's- ca.1860) moved to Washington Co.,GA(how/with whom and why he came here is a mystery). However, his wife was an Amanda Melvira Moye, the grandaughter of a Richard and Conford/Comfort GRIFFIN(haven't been able to find anything on these Griffins). And they had the following children: JOHN DANIEL Taylor, WILLIAM B. Taylor, THOMAS J. Taylor, MILLARD S. Taylor, VERGIL Taylor, JULIA Taylor, MARY LIZZIE Taylor, VIRGINIA(Jenny)Taylor,and LELIA Taylor.

Of the other two children of John Taylor and Mary Weeks, Martha married a CALVIN SAVAGE, and some of their children were named: CALVIN Jr.,THOMAS,MARTHA, ALICE, and WILLIAM.
I have a picture of THOMAS SAVAGE and his family. Caroline/Carolyn Taylor married a VENTIS, supposedly.

John Daniel Taylor (my greatx3 gramps)was a private in Co.B, 12th GA Battallion., so i can definately prove that his name was JOHN DANIEL TAYLOR. Earlier this evening I found a marriage for a JOHN D. TAYLOR of Edgecombe Co.to a HATTIE HARRELL of Martin Co.in 1882 in the marriage records on-line. I also found the marriage of a John Taylor of Edgecombe to a Mary E. Whitehurst of Martin Co., and the marriage of a DANIEL TAYLOR of Martin to Amerasy?, Ayers among other Taylor marriages. I know that the John D.Taylor and the Harrell must definately be relatives of mine. Help please!!!

TAYLOR

Kim Hill (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: TAYLOR
my ggrandfather was MILLARD S. TAYLOR, he married MARGARET MCCALL, they settled in the 1900's in Gaston Co. NC.
have been trying to find more imfo on him but have run into a dead end, if u have any more imfo please let me know, and if there is anything i can help u with let me know thanks

Taylor

J. Price (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Taylor, Weeks, Griffin, Harrell
Kim, my Millard was also Millard S. Taylor, as you know. And according to a brief history of our family by a deceased relatives, the S stood for Surrancy, which really throws me for a loop hole. However, his chilren were alive and in contact with the person who wrote the history. My Millard was b. 1874 in Wilkinson Co.,GA. He late married Elisabeth Caroline Clarke in 1906. That is the only wife I know of, and Millard stayed in GA. We could easily have relatives!

Re: TAYLOR, HARRELL, GRIFFIN, SAVAGE, & WEEKS

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: Taylor/Savage
Jennifer- I hope you get this message somehow. I am also the 3Xgreat grandaughter of John Daniel Taylor. We are descended from Martha Taylor Savage (whose daughter Mary Della Savage married a Taylor so we still carry the surname.) I have tried to email you, posted on the Jordantree site and on the Laurents County Georgia board. I am praying you will contact me.

Re: TAYLOR & SAVAGE

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: Savage, Taylor
Linda,

I married a SAVAGE and my mother's maiden name was TAYLOR. I was pleasantly surprised to see both names
on your post.

I have done some research on both sides.
I have most of our Savage's in NC/OH & Taylor's in VA.
Do you have DOB's for:

1)John Daniel Taylor
2)Martha Taylor Savage
3)Mary Della Savage Taylor

I would like to see if we have a match. I am always more than happy to share info if I can help you. Thanks!!

Sherri Savage
(Savage5018)

Posted: 23 Apr 2009 1:31PM GMT
Sherri,
John Daniel Taylor, Sr. has an unknown DOB but died about 1850. He had three children, Martha Taylor DOB 1834, John Daniel, JR. DOB 1836, and Caroline/Carolyn DOB 1838. The three children were orphaned about 1850 when both parents died. Martha Taylor married a Calvin Savage DOB 1832. John Daniel Taylor, Jr. moved to Georgia before the Civil War. The Georgia branch of the Taylors reconnected with the NC branch earlier this year on these boards. No one knows what became of Caroline/Carolyn except she married a Ventis. Martha and Calvin Savage's oldest dayghter was Mary Della Savage DOB 1857 who married into another branch of the NC Taylors. Let me know if you need more info or if we have any matches. God Bless.

Posted: 12 Jun 2009 3:54PM GMT
Linda,

Thanks for sharing your Taylor/Savage info. I really do appreciate any info. Hope I can help you also.

Do you have a Savage male (poss. Joe/Joseph)?
Joe would have m. Gertrude Pattie (1883-1911).
They had 4 kids: Easter, Joseph Jr, Edward Thomas(my line)& Burton Savage. First child born 1903, so I guess they would have been married prior to Jan 1903, sometime in 1902 or before.

Re: SAVAGE'S of NC

Posted: 12 Jun 2009 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Savage, Pattie
Gertrude Pattie's family was from Warrenton, Fauquier Co,VA.
The Joseph(?) Savage she married was believed to be from NC. They did settle in NC, as Gertrude Pattie Savage died in Tarboro, Edgecombe Co., NC in 1911. 1920 Census shows Joseph & kids still living in NC. Please help me straighten this out. Thanks!

Re: SAVAGE'S of NC

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 12:30PM GMT
Surnames: Savage, Taylor
My Mary Della Savage had three brothers- Calvin, Jr. b. 1860, William b. 1869, and Thomas b. 1872. Is your Joseph listed in the 1930 census? If so, there should be info on his parent s names. If we have a match I can take you back a few generations through the Taylors. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Re: TAYLOR, HARRELL, GRIFFIN, SAVAGE, & WEEKS

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 5:22PM GMT
I must say that this post and the following replies have intrigued me. I am currently looking for any information on a James Harrell & Sarah Ann (Sally?) Taylor Harrell. My great-grandfather was James Thomas Harrell and he had a sister Sarah Frances Harrell Harreld. On my ggrandfather's death certificate his parents are listed as James Harrell and Sarah Ann Taylor. All we know about James Harrell Sr is that he served in the Confederate Army. Sarah Frances and James Thomas were both born after the Civil War in Arkansas. We are assuming there were other children of the marriage but do not have any records to confirm.

Any help on either the Harrell or Taylor surnames would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Christina Carter
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions