Search for content in message boards

The Hassinger family in Schornsheim, Germany

The Hassinger family in Schornsheim, Germany

Thom Carlson (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2005 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: HASSINGER UNGER BRAUN BROWN
While I haven't done the research myself, I thought it best to put these records up:

The passenger ship "Judith" arrived in the port of Philadelphia in September, 1748 (see previous post)

from Auswanderungen aus Rheinpfalz und Saarland im 18. Jahrhundert.
Werner Hacker. Stuttgart: K. Theiss, 1987

Johannes Hassinger, Schornsheim, departed with wife and children for America 23 March 1748.

Annette DeHoff has reported to me that the work of Claude Unger, filed at the Tulpehocken Settlement Historical Society, 116 N. Front St, Womelsdorf, PA 19567, gives the records from Schornsheim.

Her Hassinger webpage is now at:
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~dehoff/hassinger

The earlier pedigree of the family has been provided by Stefan Mossel:
http://www.mossel.de/famfors/fam00502.html

It seems unlikely that Johannes Hassinger died in Northumberland County at the age of 102; it seems more likely that it was one of his sons (as suggested by Fisher in Snyder County Pioneers). But it's not out of the question. Perhaps further research will settle the matter.

I wonder if Maria Catherine would have gotten on the boat if she had known she was already pregnant with Johan Peter?

JOHANNES HASSINGER son of Johann Anton HASSINGER and Catharina HEYD

b. abt 1695 Schornsheim, Germany
d. ? 1797 Northumberland Co, PA

md. 9 Nov 1728 Schornsheim, Germany

MARIA CATHERINE REINECK dtr of Dieter REINECK

children:

Christina Elizabeth b. 14 Oct 1729 Schornsheim, Germany md. Michael UNGER
Johann Jacob b. 14 Oct 1731 Schornsheim, Germany d. 25 Jul 1802
Johan Herman b. 5 May 1734 Schornsheim, Germany d. btw. 1782-1790
Susan Margaretha b. 17 Dec 1736 Schornsheim, Germany
Johan George b. 14 Nov 1739 Schornsheim, Germany
Johan Dietrich b. 17 Mar 1740/1 Schornsheim, Germany d.aft. 1781
Anna Catherine b. 6 Feb 1743/4 Schornsheim, Germany md. John George BRAUN
Mary Felicitas b. 11 May 1745 Schornsheim, Germany

Johann Peter b. 1 Nov 1748 Zions Moslem Church, Richmond Twp, Berks Co, PA
bpt. 8 Dec 1748

Re: The Hassinger family in Schornsheim, Germany

Thom Carlson (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2005 10:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HASSINGER
Some years ago, Günter Kuhnke of Essen, Germany wrote & privately published a little book on the Hassinger family of Schornsheim. I am sorry to note that he passed away a couple of years ago. Stefan Mossel, Joe Petritsch, and I have been working on a translation the part of it which follows:

From the End of the Middle Ages into the Second Millennium
Five Hundred Years of the Hassinger Family
By Günter Kuhnke
Self-Published and Printed by Günter Kuhnke

Table of Contents

My family (DNH) 2
The early generations we know of 3
A place for your own entries (DNH) 4
The Hassingers up to the end of the 18th Century 9
The first document with the name Hassinger 1495 (p. 28-31 DNH) 24
The Properties Reassessment of 1533 (p. 33-50 DNH) 32
Contemporary history from the 1st Church Book of Wörrstadt 53
Document A 2 from 16. 1. 1605 (DNH) 57
Nicklaus Hasinger (emig. New Orleans 1600) (p. 60 DNH) 59
Agriculture since 1394, an excerpt (DNH) 62
Court punishments (DNH) 66
Church punishments (DNH) 68
The Kurpfälzische Fautei (DNH) 71
The Hassingers in the Thirty Years War (DNH) 76
How J. M. Hasinger was selected as the Fauth...
(Copies of the documents from 1653 and 1679) 84
Excerpts from the Church Book 1650... (p. 93 DNH) 90
Excerpt from the passenger list of 1748 (p. 102 DNH) 102
The Church Book of Steinau (p. 112 DNH) 111
Associations with old Schornsheimer families 113
The Schwamb Family in Schornsheim (p. 115-116 DNH) 114
Our Heyerbaum by Karoline Hammen 119
Copies of old family documents from 1701 on 125
Hassinger emigrants to New Orleans and Florida 152
Hassingers from Galicia to Texas 154
Epilog

(DNH) = Information not received
[p. 3]
Our Known Generations

l. Hasinger
Salbuch Werstat [Wörrstadt] 1495, first entry but without first name

2. Philipp Hasinger and wife Gred
Attendant of the Court and Mayor of Lewenstein.
Property record 1533, etc.

3. Christman Hasinger
Father of the sons Philipp[1], Hans[2] and Nicklaus[3] Hasinger

4. Hans Hasinger,
Court person and Magreth geb. Bibelnheimer, daughter of the Churpfalz customs officer

5. Johann Martin Hasinger,
Palatinate official and Anna Catharina, daughter of the Palatinate official Phil. Wendeling

6. Johann Petrus Hassinger and Agnes

7. Johann Anthon Hassinger [ 4 ],
Surveyor, village official, and church censor, and Anna Catharina Heyd

8. Johann Anton Hassinger,
Man of the people and leader of the community, and Anna Maria NN

9. Johann Volpert Hassinger [5] and Anna Catharina geb. Schwamb

10. Andreas Hassinger and Katharina geb. Schnell

Notes:

[ l ]Ancestor of the Saulheimer Hassingers
[2] Ancestor of the Schornsheimer Hassingers
[3] Ancestor of the Meisenheimer Hassingers and the emigrants to New Orleans and Florida
[4] Ancestor of emigrants to Pennsylvania
[5] Ancestor of emigrants to Steinau and later to Roschinno Prov. Posen and to Texas

[pp. 9-27]

The attempt to write a piece of history - the history of simple people, of farmers and craftsmen
and schoolmasters. The history of people who could not exercise authority. People determined by
their history. Those who again and again confronted the problems of their time and remained
what they were.

The Hassingers from Wörrstadt - Schornsheim Up to the End of the 18th Century

First I would like to tell the unacquainted where these places are. If you drive today along the
highway from Mainz to Alzey, just before the exit to Wörrstadt, you see on the left a small, pretty
church tucked into a mountainside. It is the old mountain church of Schornsheim. Karl the Great
had the surrounding property signed over in the year 780 to St. Lioba as her final retreat. The
church edifice was already there at that time. Leaving the highway at the Wörrstadt exit, we come
on B 420 from Nierstein to Bad Kreuznach. Drivers along this road glimpse the place through
the shadows. It is as if the village would duck into the bowl of the valley to remain unseen.
Possibly the people themselves wished that in former times...

Countless times armies have swept through, plundering and laying waste this countryside. A
road nearby in such times was bad.

Before my first visit in Schornsheim I had looked in the Grieben. Only this mountain church was
recommended as a sight worth seeing. In the art guide of Rhineland-Palatinate, we were directed
next to the old Barrock stairs from 18th century.

Karla and I arrived from the highway. The first local exit was blocked by a switching locomotive.
At the next crossing we turned left. The Friedrich Ebert Road.

Directly on the right, a long, receding old stone wall. Mighty overhanging trees and old grave
markers behind the wall. On the other side of the road dense hedges, overgrown with beautifully
flowering knotgrass. The leaves had already turned in some trees and bushes. It was late morning.
We drove on at walking speed. The roadway was wide and the asphalt smooth. Only the sound
of the rolling tires.

We stopped at the sign marking the edge of town. Was this the road by which Johann Volpert and
his family left their homeland 200 years before? We got out of the car. Nobody had ever told us of
Schornsheim. Up to now it was just a name in old documents. We were intrigued, and a little
anxious about what might await us here. Some time ago we had written to the local
administration and asked for information about the place; unfortunately, without success. So we
parked in front of the entrance to the cemetery. Through the green of the trees we saw the old
church.

Before driving into town we wanted to stretch our legs a bit. We entered the cemetery. the Tombs
overgrown with ivy out of the centuries past. We were alone. After the long drive wholesome
peace. Insects hummed. Only the birds quietly twittering to us as they would to themselves.
Then for the first time a gravestone with the name Hassinger. In Witten–Annen I saw the name on
the graves of my grandparents. Once in Roschinno, in the cemetery in the east, which the time had
covered and engulfed with green, I saw the name on the grave of a sister of my mother. From
here the name originated. And on this field many generations lived and died who bore this name.
Karla must have noticed my anticipation.

I cannot recall today of what we spoke. We saw the grave field of the Jews, the stones facing the
southeast. We looked down on the town. Like a mighty ampitheater full of old roofs, surrounded
by high-rising terraces overgrown with grapevines. We went around the church. Before us the
stairs to the town. Here the children, also my ancestors, were carried to their baptism. To the
church grove runs the road at the foot of the stairs. From weathered quarry stone the old
farmhouses. Wide, covered gateways into the farmyards. They were cleanly swept and empty.
No heaps of muck, no chickens. Some years ago in Schornsheim the last cows were sold. Hogs
are raised only for personal consumption here and there. In a lease from the year 1441, I had read
that apart from all other lease requirements, 30 carts of manure were to be supplied, since the
vineyards are retained by the monastery. While animal husbandry was then still a requisite of
viticulture, as the fertilizer business changed, so did the villages. Stables and barns lost their
purpose, stood empty and useless and costly to maintain. But seeing how the villages have
become in the Palatinate, not to say everywhere in Germany, with only meat and egg production
and concrete silos showing, where will the rest of our food be produced? In a yard a dog,
concrete, a strangely small and narrowly built tractor. Through the Hasengasse, the Bauchgasse
we went. A grocer shop.

Hassinger. Schillerstraße, Bebelstraße, Goethestraße, Humboldstraße. It was in the meantime
noon. The roads were as abandoned. No, we had not expected someone to welcome us here.
Slowly we went back to our car and drove to Wörrstadt to eat.

We needed only a few minutes for that short distance. The town we found to be sober and plain.
We ate in a rather ordinary hotel. The menu offered everything that you might expect from the
frozen-food section. No, this was not a tourist place on the Weinstraße. Here grapes are
gathered and wine cellared and even marketed, but one does not expect guests here. But we
wanted to stay another day at least. In the hotel we took a room and rested a little while.
Afternoon, then back again to Schornsheim. Searching for the local administration, we were
referred to Mayor Sandmann. I explained the reason of our visit. When I said to him that my
mother had been born a Hassinger, he said that his grandmother had the same maiden name. And
he showed and sold us the book 1200 Years Schornsheim. Book in hand we went again through
the town. We sat ourselves down on a bench at the playground. Not that we were tired. The book
burned in my hand. What role could my family have played here in the place? In this evening, I
was not a good conversationalist with my wife. There was the narration of Mrs. Hammen about
the Heyerbaum, which Nikolaus Hassinger had bartered from the municipality in 1744. The name
Hassinger appeared again and again. It was a part of the history of this place.

...I read the whole evening. The next morning, we drove to the administration building for the
entire municipality. Once I made my request at the register office I was introduced to the office
manager. Once again, I said who I was and why I had come. It was a very friendly discussion.
Yes, and then a woman employee brought us into the inner sanctum of the office, into the
archives. The Property and Day Book of Schornsheim. We could take a place at a table and
examine the book without being disturbed. On the first page was the name of Antonius
Hassinger. Later on an Antonius Hassinger, Jr. Yesterday evening I had read about him. He was
one the young poultry caretakers from the chronicle from the year 1711, found here as well later
on. And then the documentation of the property sales of my forefather. I knew that he had not
found for himself and his children the good life he wished for in Galicia. Now I could see just how
small the bit of earth was that he had left behind. Jacob Schwamb, the brother of his wife had
been the buyer. I had gotten many answers in these two days. But far more questions raised
themselves to me. As I went along, I knew that I would find still many more answers here.

This expedition had already led us on to Lohnsfeld, Potzbach, Wendelsheim, Uffbofen, Dalheim,
and Dolgesheim. But I would like to tell these stories with the notes about the respective families.
Through interlibrary loans I had read in ensuing months everything that I believed might be of
more help help to me. My trips to Hasloch, to Speyer in the public records, to Mußbach, to never
to have made a sidetrip to Schornsheim!

Summer 1988. Again our path brought us here. In the meantime the restoration work was final in
the Bergkirche. A card at the door referred visitors to the sexton of the church, Mrs. Dürr. We
called the lady. With a quick decision she announced she would show us the inside of the church.
Karla and I went to get her. She showed us a real gem of religious architecture. Humble, but
devoted, she explained to us the many beautiful details, which would have remained hidden to us
in our brief examination. Haphazardly placed paintings were there, simple and unsophisticated,
and nevertheless beautiful. We asked about Mrs. Hammen, the teacher, who had written about the
Heyerbaum and other Schornsheimer stories.

And we asked about Mr. Klug, whose knowledge of local history had impressed us in the
yearbook. Mrs. Hammen has in the meantime reached long past ninety years old, but still took
great interest in happenings in Schornsheim. Mr. Klug had also become an elderly man. He,
however, still belonged now as before to the active historians of Wörrstadt and the surrounding
places...

After few days I sent some photos of our visit to Mrs. Dürr in Schornsheim. I asked her to take a
photo montage, consisting of document excerpts and beautiful views of the place, to Mrs.
Hammen with greetings from us. Mrs. Hammen answered us a few days later. This little letter had
a very special meaning for us, for Karla and me. She had written, that on 3. 2. 1989, a Mr.
Schwamb would hold a lecture about the Schornsheimer Salbuch. I had already found quotations
from this book printed elsewhere. Only I did not even know how to find this book. I planned to
attend this lecture.

And in order to make best use of this visit, I also wrote to Mr. Klug. Would that I had done it
earlier! Promptly I received answers from him. He answered questions for me that I thought
unanswerable. He also had some questions. Before the day of the trip had come, we had already
become a bit acquainted by a lively exchange of letters and some telephone calls.

Would Mr. Schwamb also be a descendant of that family that I had already procured some
documents about? Will the Salbuch dispel my uncertainty, i.e. that those Hassingers, more
exactly, my Antonius Hassinger, were born here in Schornsheim?

The day had come. Off I drove early in the morning. There were still some questions in the
municipality archives to be clarified. I wanted to find a room for the night while it was still
daylight. Perhaps, time permitting, then briefly to Mainz? But the day passed fleetingly.

Shortly before eight o'clock in the evening, I went to the community center. Mrs. Hammen had
news of my attendance broadcast already. I recognized her, without having seen her before, when
she arrived. She walked stooped over; bent by the load of the years, at the arm of a younger
woman. Friendly and alert, her astute eyes. The contagious cordialness her response when I
introduced myself. She introduced me to Mr. Schwamb. When I explained my Schornsheimer
interest to him, he said, "then we are almost cousins." We made an appointment for the next day.
But what then particularly surprised me was the large attendance by the town residents at this
lecture.

The Salbuch, the debt book of the Schornsheimer church municipality, was kept from 1331 to
1634. At a rate of 6% interest, members of the community could borrow money and material
assets from the church. The accounting for incomes and expenditures was painstaking. The
loaned vineyards, fields and houses were noted in detail. As was the custom, the location of the
loaned object was described by the designation of the respective adjoining owners. Through 300
sequential years of continuing indebtedness of most of the farmers you could exactly locate the
inhabitants of the village. Many of the obligations of one generation were taken on by the next.
The reformation arrived without a syllable mentioned in the Salbuch. There were names which
nobody knows today. Other names appeared from the beginning of the town of the present day.

Many Hassingers asked whether the name Hassinger had not really just appeared suddenly, and
that was also my question (I had never seen so many Hassingers together). I made an
appointment for the next morning with Mr. Klug. On the telephone he had told me that he had
made a list years ago of the family Hassinger from Wörrstadt.

An old farm, in the middle in Wörrstadt. A stately old man, a spry old sort, one would have said in
former times, welcomed me cordially. No large explanations were necessary--we were at once in
the middle of the discussion. On the table, arranged according to the topics we wanted to discuss,
lay documents and books. He, the farmer from Wörrstadt, I, the grandchild of a farmer, we
moved purposefully field-by-field through our self-imposed project. His humor was infectious.
Here I met not only a man who had researched a great deal, but an intelligent old gentlemen, who
pointed again and again to the necessary connections of events.

Now we came to the Wörrstädter church book. In my opinion, I said, an Anthonius Hassinger
must be recorded here in 1662. A short skim and we found my assumption confirmed. In 1588
the book began. The oldest entries about the family Hassinger were from the year 1588. Together
with other entries, in part those that I had previously procured from archives in Darmstadt,
Wiesbaden and Karlsruhe, many pieces of the puzzle began to fit.

More than three hours passed as in flight. As I relate the history of the Schornsheimer Hassinger
now, then I must admit that without my meeting with Mr. Klug only a fraction would have been
possible. Thanks.

I visited Mr. Schwamb during the midday in the bustle. He had copied for me manuscript pages
for the families Schwamb and Heid. Unfortunately, the time was too short. Here I still stand in
arrears of correspondence. Ah, Kuhnke, you did bad.

I had also spoken with Mr. Klug about the emigrants of my family from the direct neighboring
villages Uffhofen and Wendelsheim. The Schnell and Porth families. He grasped the telephone and
called "a young retiree," Mr. Schnell. He was until recently a director of the secondary school in
Wörrstadt, and came from Wendelsheim. I likewise visited him yet that afternoon. Unfortunately,
he had not been concerned with family history of the Schnells from Wendelsheim. But he could
supplement my knowledge about the history of Wendelsheim in many ways.

[p. 24]
The First Mention of the Name Hasinger

Thirty-three years before the outbreak of the Peasants’ War:

1492 January 9. Prince Philipp of the Palatinate enlarges the fiefdom of the Rhine Count
with ‘homines adventius, qui Wildfangi discunter’ in the places Werstadt and Saulheim.
D. Heidelbergea die Lune a feria S. Erhardi.

A settlement had already been reached a long time ago in this matter with the Rhine Count by
which he had the right to the so-called ‘Wildfangs’ in these two villages of the fiefdom, in order to
better administer the remaining fiefdom which he had received from the Palatinate.

The contract states: the recently arrived people (new colonists), who people call
‘Wildfangs’ people, we determine, as far as it is applicable, that the Rhine Count receives
as property and may keep all those in the aforementioned villages, Werstatt and Saulheim,
through our most noble Lordship, Imperial Servant on the Rhine, to the enrichment of the
rest of his fiefdom. Given Heidelberg on the day the New Moon, the feast day of St.
Erhardes, in the year of the Lord 1492."

(Böckelmann, Justitia Causae Palatinae S. 51)

Two years later we come across those named Hasinger for the first time. The name that changed
over the years from Haßinger to eventually the common form Hassinger about 200 years ago.

Register of the people who belong to the Ausfauthei (to understand in something of an outside
administration) of the office of Alzey:

"1494. All bastards, all people which do not have a sovereign, and all who live or come to
live in these villages (as listed below) a year and a day without express claim of their
former sovereign, are in bondage to the Electoral Palatinate.”

Item -- The poor people of Wörrstadt are taxed of my sovereign, to the Count palatinate
or his Grace's bailiff at Alzey 29 taxes each year.

Item

Kilian Kegel the Faut Adam Gotsman
Emmerich Jeckel Hans Kirchemeier
Rudolf Wober Steyn Hans
Jeckel uff Hochstatt Sibels Henn
Hans Bosekalp Clas Nutzlich
Steinigin the Hirt Olers Wendling
Heinrich Schuchmann Herbel Clas
Heint Gotsman Niclas Luwerman
Jacken Clas Peter von Stockum
Christman Wissgerber Clas Offenloch
Hans von Badenheym Clas von Hocheym
Wiprecht Bosekalp Heintz Borgnit
Hasinger Emgin Schneyder
Peter Wolfskele Hans Becker
Jeckel von Albich Philip Finck
Scherer Henn Wentzel Henn
Kronbergers Eyden Debolts Clas
Henchin Kegel

These are my gracious Lordship’s women and children of Wörrstadt

Adam wife 2 child Herr Johan’s Grede
Struben wife 3 child Endris Schuchman 2 child
Steingis the Hirt wife 8 child Storms Clasen wife 1 child
Dumen Grede 4 child Steinhan’s wife l child
Wentz Zucken wife 2 child Oleyer’s
Clas Nutzlich 7 child Elchims child
Jacken Clasen wife 5 child Kalb Hans wife 4 child
Hans von Badebheym’s wife 4 child Christman Wiszgerber’s wife l child
Josten Engel wife 5 child Peter von Stockum 3 child
Jost Wegner wife l child
Hinse Schumecher just 4 child

Item every woman gives one shrovetide chicken or one Albus instead of the chicken, unless the
woman is in childbed.

Item every man, who has a wife that belongs to my gracious Lordship, gives also a chicken. The
chickens are delivered to the chickenmaster at Alzey

Item Wegners Henchin gives 4 Albus for protection money.

Item
Michel Storm weiss der faut nit die Summ un das gelt liefert man dem Lantschriber.
Gnediger liber juncker, nach dem als mir dick und viel beklagt han der beden haber,
das mir beschwer sin, so bitten wir uwer gnade, das ir uns gnedig wollent sin und geben
wir das halbteil es were uns zuvil und ist uns der wildfang angenommen und were da
hortsagen von unser grossen bede, der will sich nit an myn gnedigen herren machen un
flucht die bede, das klagen wir armen lud zu werstat, die myns gnedigen herren sint.

Michel Storm--the Fauth doesn’t know the total as the tax is to be delivered to the
Secretary. Gracious dear Squire, after we had so thick and much complained about the
oat tax, which is a burden to me, so we beg of your Lordship, that you would be noble to
us and give us one half. It would be for us too much and is taken from us by these ‘wild
people’ and would the treasury report of our large tax, then he will not make to my Lord
a pledge of tax, so complain we on behalf of the poor of Wörrstadt, who are my Lordships
privileged people.

(Public records Darmstadt C 2.303/2)

Salbuch of the Count Palatinate’s yields and rights on his own people and the rights on the “wild
people“, erected by Burgrave Johann of Morschheim, Secretary Christmann of Geispitzheim and
Administrator of Mengsberg in the year 1495. Taxes from the inhabitants of Wörrstadt in 1507.

Here is assessed Hassein Henn for 6 albus in taxes. The name Hassein appears here
unique, but it would seem, by way of speculation, to be connected to the name with
Hasinger.

Is it accidental that the first document by which we become acquainted with our family is a report
of the inexpressible poverty of the farmers in that time? My tale should not become a lament.
But soberly, to not omit anything important, I am obliged to report whatever I have found, and
especially that which our predecessors considered important enough to document.
[p. 32]

A few years later (we measure the time with a large yardstick) 1533 the oldest known
Wörrstädter property reformation was prepared. An inventory of lands, their location, size, and
owner. In this list we meet the first farmer Hasinger, who now also has a first name, Philipp. If
we appropriately evaluate place and time and the church book entries later to become known to
us, then these and the 1494 Hasinger as well may be our oldest known ancestors. Because I
consider this document so significant for the family’s history, I have appended the unedited
photocopy of the originals. The original is in public records at Wiesbaden: (Abt. 87 Nr. 675)

The same book is used, albeit not fully written, once again in 1626 for the same purpose. Twice
we find Hans Hasinger’s widow here, and once Niclas Hasinger (the Schornsheimer tenant)
registered as owners. This practice, the unordered postscripts and interwritten entries, we
encounter in many documents of that time, not just those in Wörrstadt.

[Reformation of the leased properties called the Dyffendeller lease, made on request of the
honourable Philipp Buser of Eyngelum (so for Ingelheim), and the mayor and attendants of the
court at Wörrstadt, including new boundaries, on Tuesday past All Saint’s day 1533]

(An exact demarcation of the entries must be however still made. That is only possible on the
basis the original. (G.K.))

[p. 53-56]

I would like now to begin with the assessment of the excerpts "Hasinger" from the first volume of
church book of Wörrstädt.

I will make the names of our direct ancestors stand out by complete capitalization. On
place-family and time-historical events, I will transcribe directly each instance. As far as I have
copies of the documents, I will insert these on the next page. The spellings I take literally from
the original. Godfathers, as well as godparents I will fully transcribe, and so on with the entries
from the Schornsheimer church book later on. This is the only way the appropriate evidence can
in turn be clarified in other places. If I should make a mistake, then I ask now in advance for
indulgence. With no responsibility assumed, I need to say no more, as hereditary claims are
nowhere made with certainty.

Regarding the first entries [in the church book of Wörrstadt]:

There first three sons and a daughter of Christman Hasinger appear. One of them has the first
name Hans. The sons marry in the years 1588, 1597 and 1600. The daughter Appel dies 1596.

An additional Hans Hasinger brings a son, Jacob, in 1588 to the baptism. This Hans Hasinger is
called ‘the Wissbader’ [the man from Wiessbaden] to differentiate him from the others. He and his
three children die with several days of each other during the plague in 1597.

If we assume the average age for each generation, and, on the other hand, we know that no
additional Hasingers show up, then we can safely assume that Christman Hasinger and the father
of the Hans Hassinger, the Wissbader, were brothers. Equally safely we can regard Philipp
Hasinger as their father from the clear record of 1533. And in turn, he ought to be a descendant of
the "Hassinger the wildman" Our account begins thus with these 4 generations.

Dominicus + Adventus and the second on the two following Sundays have been announced.

Philipp Hasinger, surviving son of Christman Hasinger of this place, and Magdalena Hans Jungen,
surviving daughter to adminstrator of Saulheim were consecrated here.
Dominica Sexagesima Anno 1589

Philipp Hasinger, mayor to the Knights of Löwenstein + 24 January.
1621 Philips Hasinger’s widow died.

Dom. Jubilate, Cantate etc. HANS HASINGER, CHRISTMAN HASINGERS blessed surviving
son of this place, and MARGRETH, HANS BIBELBEYMER Chur Palatinate Zölners of this
place, daughter. Exaudi [=May 18]

children:

*1599 Dom Judica Margrett + 2 July 1608
sponsor: Margrett wife of Hans Breisch
* 1601 Dom 10 p.T. Appel wife of Wentz Bader
* 1603 Ivoncavit JOHANN MARTIN Martin Link
* 1604 22. p. Tr. Jacob Jacob son of Jacob Metzler
* 1607 Misericord Eigen wife of Wiegandts lauers
* 1609 D II.Tr. Otilia Otilia, daughter of Jacob Metzler
* 1612 D. 2, p. Ep. Andress Andres Wagner d'Wirt
* 1614 D. 4. Epiph. Catharina Katten, wife of Jac. Seibels
* 1617 D. 50 ges. Jons Hans Bauss

Died 1621 8. Jas. HANS HASINGER attendant of the court of here

1605 l. 16.

Hans Biebelheimer, customs officer and inhabitant of Wörrstadt, and Katharina, his wife, state
that they have from William of Kronberg, knight, Commander of the Knights of St. John of
Jerusalem in the face of Mainz and Nieder-Weisel the assets of the Order of the house of the holy
grave to Mainz in Wörrstädter, the boundary in ancestral estate acquired according to the
advertised ancestral loan of 15. l. 1605, which they would want in every particular to affirm.

Signature: William Seybel, mayor of the Wild and Rhine Counts, Christman Axt, mayor of
Lowenstein, Jacob Fauth, Hansz George, Hans G-les, Peter Hahn, Jacob Heintz, Lorentz
Elsheimer, Jacob Metzler, Merten Lienckh, Just Wagener, Hans Breusackh, Hans Haszinger, all
of the court to Wörrstadt with the court seal.

(Public records Darmstadt Urk. Rhinehessen, Wörrstadt.)
[p. 59]

1600 Dom. 7. p. Trinity. [=July 16]

Nicklaus Hasinger, Christman Hasinger blessed surviving son of this place, and Anna Velten
Hanen legitimate daughter to Eichloch.

children:

* 1601 D. 10. p. T. Wendel Wendel Emmerich
* 1604 D. 10. p. T. Peter Peter Hahn
* 1606 D. 3. Adv. Christiany Jost Hartman
* 1608 D. Die Thoma Philipp Hans Philipp son of the ptoris
* 1612 Reminiscere Martinus Märten Linck
+ 1624 9. 10. Plague Engen born in Schornsheim
+ 1624 29. 10 Plague Grettgen born in Schornsheim

1612 March 19

Nicklaus Hassinger and Anna, a married couple of Wörrstadt, state for the record that they have
leased of Abbott Jodocas Prior and Konvent of Jacobsberg the large and small courtyard of
Schornsheim as these many years inhabited by Closc Molsz [sic: Mansz] and afterwards the son of
Hans Manz, village mayor, for 10 years.

(Public records Darmstadt, Early Documents of Rheinhessen (cf. included photocopies)

As the deaths of the both children in Wörrstadt indicate, the leases in Schornsheim were not
extended. Comparison with the entries in the church book of Schornsheim indicates as well that
none of the children remained in Schornsheim.
[p. 61]

D. Cantate. [=May 2] JOHAN MÄRTEN HASINGER legitimate son of deceased HANS
HASINGER, former attendant to the court of this place, and ANNA CATHARINA legitimate
daughter of PHILIPS WENDELING Palatinate representative of this place. Church service 28.
May

children

* 1627 D. 3. Adv. Hans Peter Peter Metzler. this child is 12 weeks after
conception
+ 1627 14 May Hans Peter
* 1629 Exaudi Anna Katt. Katt.Engen wife of Best Gergen.
* 1631 D. 6 p. T. Jon. Sebast. Best Gergen
+ 1632 24 January. Jon. Sebast.
* 1632 23.p. Tr. Annaliss and Anna Dorothea twins
Anna Dorothea, widow of Andress Schumacher
Annaliss, wife of Phil. Schönberger the tailor
+ 1632 14.9bris Anna Dorothea
* 1635 D. 2. Da. JOHAN PETRUS Peter Hassinger, Michael Metzler

The second Wörrstädter church book records in 1654 the baptism of Anna Catharina, daughter of
JOHANN MÄRTEN HASINGER, chief administrative officer of this place. The death of Anna
Catharina, his wife, is not communicated to us.

[p. 90-91]

22 November 1652. PETER HASINGER has sacreligiously pained with dire consequences our
Church and the good Lord, having ridden to Armbsheim a few days ago and allowed to couple
with the daughter of Sir Hünerfänger without the customary proclamation of this very Calvinist
minister. The penalty was announced to them by the Lord’s administrators and their given
freedom revoked accordingly.

Children:
Sponsor:
24. July 1653 Hans Martin Marten Hassinger d.Vater
15 October 1654 Anna Peter Armsheimers wife.
14. Tr. 1655 Anna Catharina Dorst’s wife, Catholic and dtr of the village
mayor of J. heim
5 October. 1656 Margretha Margreth, dtr of Anthoni Dorst
5 Tr. 1662 JOHANN ANTHONIUS Anthoni Dorst

The Frenchmen were again in the country. They had opened the church to the Wörrstädter
Catholics, and allowed them to use the choir and the high altar. From Eichloch it is reported: "the
Frenchmen had burned the pews in the Evangelical Church, and made a horse stable from the
house of God."

In 1689 a child was baptized on the town hall square "due to wartime conditions." Also, the
minister had sent his church book to Frankfurt.

In 1690, Johann Lentz fell from the Spiesheimer tree and was killed. He had wanted to see the
troop movements from there. The population fleeing from Wörrstadt took his body with them. He
was buried in the cemetery in Mosbach.

Another Wörrstädter went to Erbinheim, where in 1691, according to church book, Hans Peter
Martinstein married Elisabetha Kneipin. The Wörrstädter minister was gone "because of war
evacuation," this time to Wiesbaden.

ANTONIUS HASSINGER, our ancestor, married the daughter of Volpert Heid on 9 May 1690 in
Schornsheim. (cf. photocopy from the church book at Schornsheim.) Perhaps the girl had turned
his steps to Schornsheim before the escape from Wörrstadt. We will never find out. They were
the first parents of the Hassinger family of Schornsheim.

[p. 94-97]

The “Simultanteous Stipulations” of the Osnabrück Treaty of 1648 governed the takeover the
church and parish properties, the parish incomes and the religious buildings by the Lutherans. At
first the Simultaneum meant only a living-together of Lutherans and Catholic Christians in the
same place.

Durch das Religionspatent vom 15. Oktobert 1685 und 17. September 1786 war den Katholiken
in Schornsheim 1702 die Mitbenutzung der Kirche in Schornsheim wieder erlaubt wordern.

Through the Religious Charter of 15 October 1685 and 17 September 1786 [?sic] it had been
again permitted to the Catholics in Schornsheim from 1702 on to share the church in
Schornsheim.

The arguments between the two religions were in all these years full of conflicts. In 1686, the
Lutheran minister Reineck (1666 - 1709) was barred from official duties, and could only take over
his parish again in 1696. The marriage document of our Anthonius Hassinger as single page is
thus explained.

The memory of the “Simultaneous Epoch” is crushing. The joint-heirs, the sovereigns from
Schornsheim, were never of a single opinion on religion questions. Their arguments always
encumbered the inhabitants (as such things always do). The peak of the religious controversy was
the four decades between 1730 and 1771.

One incident: After the Catholics had obtained a right to use the church in the year 1702, they
demanded to receive the benefit of churches and parish manors beyond that. The Catholic joint-
heir Baron von Dienheim directed that from Lutheran church property received there was to be
paid as annual stipend to Catholic priests [23 Malter; about 100 bushels] of grain, and to the
Catholic teachers [12 Malter, about 50 bushels] of grain and 25 florins. The Evangelist joint heir
of Wallbrunn raised objection with his two co-inheritors on behalf of the court of the Prince of
Nassau-Weilburg. This decree became read out in the community on 27 November 1730, by the
Lutheran schoolmaster Johan George Helff. Thus unrest was released. In 1736/37 the Catholic
joint-heir Baron von Dienheim intervened: the Evangelist church leaders were summoned. The
affidavit of the mistreatment they suffered has been preserved. It is bitter to read how these men
were led in the stock house, and pillories locked. Hardship must be suffered. Now the Evangelist
joint-heirs rose in Schornsheim for common defense. They made proclamation of the suffered
inconvenience, and delivered this to the Evangelist joint-heirs of Bechtoldsheim. They included
their affidavit and sent it together with the input to the court of the Prince of Nassau-Weilburg.
In August 1738 the complaint went to the Corpus Evangelicorum, the agency of the Evangelist
Prince of the Empire in Regensburg. That worked. On 28 December 1738 an envoy of the
Imperial Knights of the Rhein appeared and ordered the congregation of Evangelists to the city
hall. 51 appeared. They confirmed the contents of the grievance. When the envoy wanted to
push the affair aside, the church leaders protested and explained, they had applied to the emperor
and the state and expected the decision to come from them.

The village was split. Families were in internal conflict. In a report from those days, we read of
"breaking and entry of doors, windows, and roofs, with the terrible beatings of the residents."
The court of the Prince of Nassau-Weilburg advocated for its subjects in Schornsheim, without
success. On 2 March 1739, early in the morning, 26 Palatinate hussars sprang into the village.
Officials followed. The village became encircled, the church leaders Heid and Loy "tied up as
troublemakers," other Evangelists were pinioned by the arms, and were all brought to the city hall.
Four of them were locked up at Nieder-Saulheim in the tower as prisoners. After harrowing days,
the prisoners were called upon to sign confessions that they had done wrong, wanted to pay the
costs, and would not accuse those who bore the fault for their captivity. What was the charge
brought against that the church leaders? They had been obligated to administer the churches
assets faithfully.

(Professor Dr. Heinrich Steitz: Church and Municipality in Schornsheim.)
The French legislation of the yearly 1798 terminated the history [of the civil church authority,]
which had determined the relation between church and municipality in Schornsheim since 1547.
The parish Schornsheim was assigned to the canton Wörrstadt in the section Donnersberg, district
Mainz.

But by this time several Hassingers had already left the country. Johannes and Jakob Hassinger
were driven to America, and our ancient ancestor Johann Volpert was already a settler in Galicia.

So we have come through the history of our Johann Antonius Hassinger. I leave it at that; so
says even so the simple facts, reports from the rural working-day, as well as ordinary life.
A hundred years of discontent and hope and work. Living and dying and always again hope.
JOHANN ANTONIUS HASSINGER married 9 May 1690 CATHARINA HEID

Children:
1.1 * 21. 06. 1691 Johann Volpert
1.2 * 01. 12. 1693 Johann Anton, Jr.
1.3 Johannes
1.4 Johann Michael
1.5 Johann Peter
1.6 Johann Nicolaus

The wife and mother Catharina dies. The date could not be determined. The father then marries
Anna Catharina Heyd at a time that cannot be determined. She was born in 1682, and was the
daughter of Johannes Heyd from Schornsheim. (possibly a cousin of his first wife).

Children:
1.7 * 05.02.1714 Anna Margaretha + 23.03.1716
1.8 * 13.08.1718 Joh. Valentin + 13.8.1721
1.9 * 17.06.1719 Christina Elizabeth
1.10 * 07.08.1721 Johann Philipp
1.11 * 24.01.1723 Maria Catharina
1.12 * 07.06.1727 Anna Magdalena

Johann Antonius Hassinger, Sr. died on 28. 9. 1749, and his wife Anna Catharina on 14. l. 1755.
[p. 101]

In the year of 1728, 9 November, Johannes, legitimate son of Johann Anton Hassinger - surveyor
captain and church censor of this place, coupled with Maria Catharina, surviving legitimate
daughter of Dietrich Reineck.

children:

1.3.1 * 14. 10. 1729 Christina Elizabeth
sponsor: Anna Christina, wife of Joh. Michael

1.3.2 * 14. 10. 1731 Joh. Jacob
sponsor: Joh. Niclas, son of Anton Hassinger, Sr.

1.3.3 * 05. 05. 1734 Johann Hermann

1.3.4 * 17. 12. 1736 Susanna Margaretha

1.3.5 * 06. 02. 1741 Joh. Dietrich

1.3.6 * 06. 02. 1744 Anna Margaretha
sponsors: Anna Marg., wife of Nic. Hassinger
Anna Catharina, daughter of Peter Hassinger

1.3.7 *11. 05. 1746 Maria Felicitas
sponsor: Maria Catharina, daughter of Anton Hassinger Jr.

Johannes Hassinger emigrates with his family to Pennsylvania in 1748. He and his son Jacob
appear in the

[End of page. Subsequent page was not provided.]

Re: The Hassinger family in Schornsheim, Germany

Posted: 23 Dec 2007 7:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hassinger
Dear Sir,

My name is Tina Granger Duplantis and I'm writing to find out more information about the Hassinger Family. Christman Hassinger is my 15th Great Grandfather. I found your original post in the messageboard on Ancestry.com. I have a few questions to ask you about the post and the research on the family.

Are you a member of the Hassinger family or are you a genealogical researcher doing research for a client?

Do you have, or know of someone who has, any new information on the family history since the trip to Germany in 1988?

Do you have, or know of someone who has, an actual copy (electronic or paper) of the post you made here on Ancestry?

Do you have, or know of someone who has, copies of the documents that were used in this research?

Do you know of any German web sites that may contain more information about the Hassingers or the location where they lived?

I have verified my records against your post with 100% accuracy (and your information has even filled in a few blanks for me, thanks). Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tina Granger Duplantis
taxesbytina@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic