Search for content in message boards

DNA Test to prove heritage?

DNA Test to prove heritage?

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 11:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Feb 2009 8:46AM GMT
Is there in DNA testing being done to determine Cherokee heritage?

Re: DNA Test to prove heritage?

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 6:13AM GMT
Cherokee in particular - No

Native American - yes.

Family Tree DNA & 23andMe let you download your raw data. Mine was uploaded to gedmatch.

My MDLP World-22 Admixture Proportions

Population
Pygmy -
West-Asian 5.70%
North-European-Mesolithic 4.88%
Indo-Tibetan -
Mesoamerican 0.36%
Arctic-Amerind 0.72%
South-America_Amerind -
Indian 0.13%
North-Siberean -
Atlantic_Mediterranean_Neolithic 34.71%
Samoedic -
Indo-Iranian 1.63%
East-Siberean -
North-East-European 49.54%
South-African 0.09%
North-Amerind -
Sub-Saharian -
East-South-Asian -
Near_East 2.23%
Melanesian -
Paleo-Siberian -
Austronesian -

However, if my results are checked by each chromosomes, I have a % in each one of the above categories.

mt-Haplogroups A & D are in the Arctic, Southeastern U.S. & South American (Native American markers). The most frequent in the U.S. are A, B, C, & D with a smaller number X. The first 4 are found on each side of the Bering Strait. Not so with X.

According to this article
http://www.atlantisinsights.net/DNA.htm

25% of the Iroquois are Haplogroup X(your husband's ancestry - I found your Ancestry database where your husband's and my family are listed).

Page 10 of this article

http://design.lunarpages.com/projects/argusbio.com/docs/pape...

gives some breakdown of results with various tribes who were tested (appearing they have intermarried to the point that they have all of the most common Native haplogroups).

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 9:20AM GMT
You would also need to test the mitochondrial DNA, as Cherokee is a matrilinial blood line, meaning the female DNA chain. If your mother's father, was the Cherokee........... then the mitochondrial DNA is sketchy. It would need to be grandmother/mother/child.

This is what I have read a few years ago and why I never spent the bucks, since m y line would be through my mother's father. Happy Hunting

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 9:20AM GMT
You would also need to test the mitochondrial DNA, as Cherokee is a matrilinial blood line, meaning the female DNA chain. If your mother's father, was the Cherokee........... then the mitochondrial DNA is sketchy. It would need to be grandmother/mother/child.

This is what I have read a few years ago and why I never spent the bucks, since m y line would be through my mother's father. Happy Hunting

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 6:35PM GMT
You seem to have some insight on tribal DNA, so perhaps you can help or at least set me straight...her are the facts i have. 1 we were always told we were Kiowa/ Apache, known but never attested too, Kansas in the 30's 40's etc was not hospitable to people of color, I can vividly remember signs in cafe's and such reading, pardon, their wording not mine,"Indians, Niggers and Mexicans served in sacks ONLY", but i digress, My GGrmother was purported to be full blood, but her maiden name was "Churchman" she married my GGRfather John Cohee out of Maryland, no prob here have him all the way back to Revolution, their son Ara, my Grfather, always wore a black stetson, no crease with an eagle feather at the back and so they say, turned it upside down after wounded knee, so all holds true, my GGM's picture definately shows the blood line, my mother had and uncle had all the features and blue black hair, i am at a loss I did the Ancestry DNA and it only shows percentages, no help, I found all that on my own, sorry i rambled, in your studies can you affirm to me that the "Tribal DNA testing" has the ability to break it down, since as you stated, has to be on the mothers side????, please i need all the help I can get, Thanks, Ric

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 6:35PM GMT
You seem to have some insight on tribal DNA, so perhaps you can help or at least set me straight...her are the facts i have. 1 we were always told we were Kiowa/ Apache, known but never attested too, Kansas in the 30's 40's etc was not hospitable to people of color, I can vividly remember signs in cafe's and such reading, pardon, their wording not mine,"Indians, Niggers and Mexicans served in sacks ONLY", but i digress, My GGrmother was purported to be full blood, but her maiden name was "Churchman" she married my GGRfather John Cohee out of Maryland, no prob here have him all the way back to Revolution, their son Ara, my Grfather, always wore a black stetson, no crease with an eagle feather at the back and so they say, turned it upside down after wounded knee, so all holds true, my GGM's picture definately shows the blood line, my mother had and uncle had all the features and blue black hair, i am at a loss I did the Ancestry DNA and it only shows percentages, no help, I found all that on my own, sorry i rambled, in your studies can you affirm to me that the "Tribal DNA testing" has the ability to break it down, since as you stated, has to be on the mothers side????, please i need all the help I can get, Thanks, Ric

John W COHEE + Mary E CHURCHMAN

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 2:32PM GMT
Ric

Is this your family ?

1920 Appanoose Co IA
Independence Twp
ED 20 Pg 5B

The name has been transcribed as COHER.
Arra W 41 white male KS MD IN (Indiana)
Edith 32 white female KS IA IA
Jessie 9 white female IA
Esther A 8 white female IA
Willie B 5 white male IA
Charley J 4 white male IA

There is a marriage record listed for John W COHEE + Mary E CHURCHMAN May 3 1875 Howard County IN.
John is actually listed as COHES.
It should be possible to obtain a copy of the marriage record.

The 1860 census for Shelby County IN shows a Mary E CHURCHMAN age 5 as the daughter of Jacob and Julia CHURCHMAN. They were in Howard County in 1870.

In 1900 Arra W COHEE is listed as residing at San Miguel Station, Philippine Islands.
He give his DoB as May 1879.
The Wounded Knee Massacre took place on December 29 1890.

You will probably find more information (and assistance) by posting your message on the COHEE and CHURCHMAN surname boards.
If you would like additional information I can post it to those boards.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Re: John W COHEE + Mary E CHURCHMAN

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 5:32PM GMT
Yes, they are my grandparents, my Mother was Esther, Thank you and please post me on the Boards, I did not think they existed, I have looked, and where do you fit in all this?? have you been able to ascertain the Tribal Ancestry?? You surely seem to be as deeply involved in this search as I and probably know that my Dad was called Pony, heb=nce my handle, Please keep in touch, Best, Ric

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 8:14PM GMT
Ric

It's good to see you found the COHEE surname board !

***Thank you and please post me on the Boards, I did not think they existed***

All you need to do is scroll up and click on Message Boards, that should open up the whole panoply.
Surnames. Localities. Topics.

Then scroll down this page and click on Board FAQ. There's some good advice on how to post messages and where to post them.

From various records, it looks like your ancestors were Free White Citizens of the United States.
No "Tribal Ancestry".

FYI : I'm just a volunteer. No connection. Just like posting factual information.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 18 Aug 2013 6:27PM GMT
I am really sorry you are not one of us, I thought I had found a relative, more adept than I, to secure information that was,is, hidden from me, namely my GGrmother Mary Ella. I have always known there was NA in the bloodline and did truly believe, still do, that she was either Souix or Kiowa/Apache, reasoning, my GRfather Arra was a half breed, known from family stories, never fully affirmed, just known from appearances, facial and otherwise and of course never shouted from the housetops, being in Kansas and the bigotry that was in full bloom, even as I child I can recall seeings signs in eateries stating "Indians, Niggers and Mexicans, served in sacks only"... it was sort of. if you don't make a fuss, mind your own business, don't flaunt it, actually an early 20th century, "Don't Ask Don't Tell" kind of thing, but I digress, all of the information I can find on my GGM says White, even GF Arra, has white on his enlistment papers.. i know my Mother did not have a Birth Certificate and had to return to Iowa and obtain afidavits from family and friends to receive the document, do you see my dilemma, as an engineer i have always dealt with facts and they were all proveable, these are facts and I cannot prove nor refute them, so if you should uncover anything in your ancestral travels that would show me a path I would appreciate you letting me know, Thanks.. The name churchman in itself leads to a made up nameIE: one that either works or assists at a church, HUH, MAYBE, please keep in touch, Ric
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions