Search for content in message boards

New Merge Feature

New Merge Feature

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 11:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Here is what I got after trying the new merge feature for the first time. It only took 4 minutes for this to pop up. Very frustrating!

Check back soon.
We're sorry but this feature is temporarily unavailable. The problem has been reported and we will work toward resolving the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask for your patience at this time. Check back with us shortly.

Re: New Merge Feature

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 12:30AM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2012 12:34AM GMT
this is a great question. I wonder if I go back to the old version, it will work better?? Will try that and see if it helps.

UPDATE: It doesn't seem to make any difference.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 1:32AM GMT
The site has been having server issues for the better part of the day as well as yesterday. I don't believe the problem is limited to just one feature, such as the new merge capability.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 2:25AM GMT
No question it is due to heavy volume and probably other issues. Its been nearly impossible to get anything productive completed since before Christmas.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 3:14AM GMT
I agree. I have limited opportunity to do my family research and was looking forward to a few uninterrupted hourse but what a drag. Half of the pages won't load, etc. Ugh.Been at it for a few hours, have done only 1 hour of serious work due to fighting w/the website!

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 1:23PM GMT
In my experience Ancestry is over subscribed for the capacity of its servers. I am retired and access Ancestry at random times during the week. If you access Ancestry in the odd hours, i.e. weekday mornings, you get significantly better response than if you try on weekends evenings. Or it you think about when most people will have the time to spend on their genealogies, you will find those are the times of slowest access.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 3:07AM GMT
Unfortunately I don't have that option. I still work full time. I had a few days off and was really looking forward to spending time doing some extra research. The site has been really buggy for about a month. I wish they would up their server capacity and quit offering free stuff to the whole planet. I am paying for this and not very happy right now.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 3:35AM GMT
The free offering was for a few days - that certainly isn't the cause of a month's worth of problems - unless you're just simply exaggerating.

Have you considered bottlenecks within the internet trafficways? Let's say you can't get to work because of a traffic jam. It is highly unlikely that the jam happened right in front of your house, or right in front of your employment. Most likely is that the jam is somwhere in between. Have you investigated possible bottlenecks all along your particular routing?

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 5:20AM GMT
But wouldn't that affect every site we're trying to use? And would that explain so many people experiencing the same problem right now? I have to concur, Ancestry's servers seem to be inadequate.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 6:13AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2013 6:14AM GMT
"But wouldn't that affect every site we're trying to use?"

No, only those that take a route through the bottleneck.

"And would that explain so many people experiencing the same problem right now?"

Yes, if they are all routed through the bottleneck.

"I have to concur, Ancestry's servers seem to be inadequate."

If you concur, you are only agreeing with others who share your lack of understanding:-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic