Search for content in message boards

Schmidt/Smith Family Germany to Philadelphia and Reading, PA

Schmidt/Smith Family Germany to Philadelphia and Reading, PA

Joanne Chubb (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2001 2:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schmidt, Schick, Wieland, Eberth, Hess
Looking for information on the following family-Schmidt/Smith who settled in Philadelphia coming from Germany. I believe this
was between 1827 and 1833. The mother's name was Catharine Margaret (maiden name unknown) Schmidt Hess. She married
Johan Gottlieb Hess between 1842 and 1850. He died in Reading, Pa in 1850. The Schmidt children are: 1-Heinrich Gottlieb
Schmidt/Smith who had at least five children all born prior to 1858: Milton B. Smith, Sherwood B. Smith, Elizabeth Smith,
Melvina Smith, and Cornelia Smith. 2-John Conrad Smith. 3-Frederick Christian Smith who resided in Philadelphia in 1903.
4-Caroline Phillippina Smith married Frederick Wieland and resided in Philadelphia in 1892. 5-Catharina Margaretha/Magdalene
Schmidt born in 1826 in Germany and married Frederic Eberth in 1844 in Reading, Pa, where she resided. 6-Anna Maria "Mary"
Schmidt born about 1834 in Philadelphia married Christian Schick in 1852 in Reading, Pa, where she resided. 8-Joseph Benjamin
Smith born about 1824 in Philadelphia, Pa. He resided there in 1903. 9-William H. Smith born in 1842 in Philadelphia and died
during the Civil War in 1864. Catharine Margaret Hess died in 1858 in Reading, Pa. She was a "Wash Frau" and learned how to
powwow from her father in Germany.
The father's name is currently unknown. They were of the Lutheran religion.
If you have any information on any of these people, please contact me. Thanks.

Re: Schmidt/Smith Family Germany to Philadelphia and Reading, PA

Posted: 14 Nov 2005 4:36AM GMT
My Great Great Grandfather is John Schmidt I think born Apr.1847 He married Dorothea born 1838. They lived in Berks County, Pa. I have them listed on the 1880 and 1900 Cumru Township Census. Both from Wurtenberg. They had 4 children Mary 1871, Frederica 1872, George 1877 and my Great Grandmother Wilhelmina March 3, 1879 Could there be a connection?

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 12:28AM GMT
I am looking for info on Andreas Schmidt who married Elizabeth Ehrling in Reading Pa. in 1869. Children included a daughter Elizabeth and a son George Lorenz born 1873. The family moved to NY then to Baltimore. I have no other informtion. George Lorenz was my grandfather and I am really stuck at this point. Thanks, Jeanne Wisbauer Lewis

Posted: 12 Feb 2012 12:15AM GMT
Sorry I can't help you. I checked my (Schmid or t) file and I don't have any of those names.

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 6:08PM GMT
Not sure there is a connection. Joseph Schmidt (B. 1824 in PA) married Caroline Allgaier - possibly in eastern PA. First child George was born in 1858 in New Jersey; second child Caroline was born in 1861 in Ohio; third child Emma was born in 1863 in Ohio; 4th child Elisabeth was born 9-1-1866 in PA and married Bernard Cayton in 1888 in Pittsburgh; 5th child Kate was born in 1869 in PA; 6th child Joseph was born in 1870/71 in PA and married Clara Pfaff in Pittsburgh in 1905 (he had previously been married to Harriet Barton); 7th child Mary was born in 1876 in Pittsburgh, PA and married Albert Richard in 1896. The Schmidts were in Pittsburgh in 1870 and 1880.

Also, the name was spelled: Schmidt - Schmitt - and Smith

That's all I have! Let me know if anything looks familiar. Marianne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic