Search for content in message boards

Jane CARPENTER d 30 Aug 1870 Sweden ,Brockport NY

Jane CARPENTER d 30 Aug 1870 Sweden ,Brockport NY

Posted: 26 May 2013 1:07PM GMT
Classification: Query

This lady was 4th wife of Cyrus CARPENTER and d 30 Aug 1879
This date came from her will.
Offical recording of Monroe Co Vital Records date from 1880

I very recently tripped over this 'find a grave' web site and this states her cause of death to be stomach cancer . She was only 57 yo so that could be a reasonable explaination .

I am really curious to know just where this cause of death info would have been hiding all these years when there is apparently no death certificate ???

Bye

MargM
NSW
Australia

Re: Jane CARPENTER d 30 Aug 1870 Sweden ,Brockport NY

Posted: 26 May 2013 3:06PM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2013 1:58PM GMT
I did not see her in Findagrave, although Cyrus is in High St Cemetery. But maybe she had her cause of death listed in the not-online federal census pages which give the cause of death for people who have died the year BEFORE the census was taken. Or it could be in books such as those compiled by Dr. Samuel Beach Bradley, who was a physician in that area for many many years, and whose books and work are in the Rochester NY library. I checked his name in worldcat.org ad there are several libraries that hold his books. Familysearch also has them.
Cause of death might have come from records which exist in paper but are not online.

Asahel WELLS and daughter Elvira

Posted: 27 May 2013 2:28PM GMT
Surnames: WELLS
Could someone look in the Dr. Samuel Bradley book(s) for the supposed death of my gg grandfather, Asa or Asahel WELLS in January 1829? Or of his daughter Elvira WELLS who died August 17, 1828? I have been looking for verification for 25 years. And cause of death. They were in Brighton in 1820 census, but I think they moved around the area. I live in California and the closest library that has this book is Allen County Library in Indiana. I would really appreciate a lookup.

Margie Bridges

Posted: 29 May 2013 1:19AM GMT

Opps! sorry I got a little muddled up. I had found some relavent info on other family members in the Findagrave web site .......... This info on Jane CARPENTER came from

http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=8756&enc=...
Mortality schedules

I was surprised to find the cause of her death.

Prior to say the 1880 Federal census did someone record causes of death for previous few months ?

Bye

MargM
NSW Australia

Posted: 29 May 2013 3:18PM GMT
Mortality schedules were taken at the same time as the 1850, 1860, 1870, and 1880 censuses. The schedules covered the one year period prior to June 1 of the census year.

Jane Carpenter died after the 1870 census so she would not appear on the Mortality schedule.

Not all of the Mortality schedules have survived.

Betty.

Posted: 29 May 2013 9:14PM GMT
True. And I can add this:

"In the state census, mortality schedules were generally recorded for the years of 1855, 1865, and 1875. They are arranged by state, then by county, and then by political subdivision (township, city, etc.). These schedules can add "flesh" to the bones of ancestors and provide information about the communities in which they lived. These schedules may be the only record of death for some individuals, as many states did not require recording of deaths until the late nineteenth century.

Mortality schedules record deaths in the year preceding the taking of the census. For example, the 1860 mortality schedules include persons who died between June 1, 1859 and May 31, 1860. For each person, the following information is listed: name, age, sex, marital status if married or widowed, state or country of birth, month of death, occupation, cause of death, and the length of the final illness."

So she was in the Federal census mortality schedule. I have seen the ones for NY state for the earlier state censuses (which are too early), but you already found her in the site that you mentioned.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions