Search for content in message boards

France and Earle families of the town of Perinton

France and Earle families of the town of Perinton

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 4:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: France, Earle, Crouse, VanNess
I am seeking information on Lucius FRANCE, born in Monroe Co. NY (probably Perinton) abt 1852. His parents were Jacob and Emily (EARLE) FRANCE. The family lived in the town of Perinton, Monroe Co., NY, as did the EARLE family. Jacob died 4 Nov 1853. Emily's parents were Reuben and Caroline EARLE. Emily and Jacob also had a daughter, Arabelle, b. abt 1853 who married Harry VAN NESS. Emily later remarried German born Abraham CROUSE who died before 1875. In 1870, Emily and Abraham, along with Lucius and Arabelle, were residing in Oswego's 2nd Ward; other than that they appear on census' in Perinton. After Abraham's death, Emily resumed using FRANCE as her surname.

Re: France and Earle families of the town of Perinton

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 12:58AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2013 12:59AM GMT
As you may know, Reuben and Caroline EARLES appear in the 1855 census of Monroe County, with Reuben being born in Mass in 1805 and Caroline in Dutchess County NY in 1806. Though, that census (on Familysearch) show Reuben [father] and Emily (the daughter) as living in Monroe County for 25 years, and the mother, Caroline, for 29 years.
Then, this appears in Worldconnect:
Name: Lucius J. FRANCE
Sex: M
Death: 27 JUL 1883 in Carlyon,New York Orleans County [n.b. could well be CARLTON]
Burial: JUL 1883 St. Peters Cemetery,Oswego,New York
Marriage 1 Mary ARDEN
Children
Has Children Lucius Ford FRANCE b: 9 JUL 1881 in Niagara Falls,New York
Has No Children Bernard J. FRANCE b: 19 NOV 1908 in Oswego,New York

Fultonhistory.com has an 1894 news article where it cites Mary E France receiving 5000 dollars as a result of the train wreck that killed a Lucius France in July 1883.

Might this be him?

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 6:28PM GMT
Yes, I have the information on Lucius and his family in Oswego pretty well documented. I was lead to look in Monroe County for his early life based on information recently obtained from his death certificate. I had located the family on the 1855 Census and began following them through the census' and newspaper articles, eventually tying them to Oswego around the time of Lucius' marriage there to Mary Arden. The Monroe County and Earle family connections are all new information for me and I am looking to expand on it and maybe connect with other family researchers.

I cant say enough good about fultonhistory.com. I have been using that site since it was brand new and contained just a few Oswego Co. newspapers and have watched it grow immensely and to now include not only many newspapers from around the state, but some out of state ones as well. All free and run by one person out of his home. Amazing site!

Posted: 8 Jun 2013 12:42PM GMT
Yes, Fultonhistory has been extremely useful for many people.

OTOH, there could well be information that still exists from that time period which is not yet online. Perinton just got a new town historian, who may have records in his office. I was at his predecessors' many years ago. [http://www.perinton.org/Departments/hist/]

Plus there is the Perinton Historical Society in Fairport which might have useful material. Perhaps (just perhaps) there might be school records or church record for that early a time.
Jacob appear in the online List of Monre County estates
France,Jecob. Perinton, died Nov 4,1853,
Widow,Emily France. Chlldren,both minors. Lucius E. end
Mergeret Arabelle France. (http://www3.libraryweb.org/lh.aspx?id=470901). The actual papers are in the Surrogate's Court office, which charges 90 dollars for a search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions