Search for content in message boards

YOUNG from Berwick to Eyemouth to Arbroath

YOUNG from Berwick to Eyemouth to Arbroath

Jamie LEES (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2002 7:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Dec 2008 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: LEES, YOUNG, SMITH
I am researching the family of Henry YOUNG born in Berwick upon Tweed abt 1833. He marries Isabella (?) of EYemouth and then resides in Eyemouth Berwick Scotland.

Their children are James Archie Rebecca Henry and Isabella are all born in Eyemouth.

His daughter Isabella YOUNG born abt 1859 marries Peter SMITH of Arbroath and resides there.

If anyone is researching this family please contact me at dangeloadvertising@sympatico.ca

Best Regards,
Jamie LEES
CANADA

Researching
LEES, MCGRAW, MCINTOSH, AFFLECK, McFARLANE, East & West Lothian, Lanark,, Scotland and ? England.
Detroit and Philadelphia USA, La Macaza, Labelle, Quebec Canada. Kingston, Ottawa, Toronto & Windsor Ontario Canada

SMITH, CARGILL, SWANKIE, YOUNG, KENNEDY, Arbroath, Angus, Berwick Scotland and Baltimore USA
LEES Dundee Angus Scotland.

Re: YOUNG from Berwick to Eyemouth to Arbroath

Posted: 30 Dec 2008 3:27PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2009 5:58PM GMT
Surnames: YOUNG, SMITH
Are you still researching this, as the last post is quite old? I have a connection with HENRY BOLTON YOUNG. He was 46 in the 1881 census. He was my great great grandfather. His daughter Rebecca was my great grandmother & she married William Smith of Arbroath 17 Feb 1888.

Best regards
Gill McGhie
England

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 9:35PM GMT
Hi there - I too have a connection with HENRY BOLTON YOUNG and Rebecca. Rebecca was my great grandmother too ! My Grandfather was named HENRY (BOLTON) YOUNG SMITH and lived in Arbroath, (born June 15th 1903 died in 15th May 1978).

I am particularly interested in tracing his siblings and parents side. My Grandfathers parents were WILLIAM SMITH and REBECCA SMITH (NEE YOUNG). WILLIAM SMITH's parents were PETER SMITH and ISABELLA SMITH (NEE SWANKIE ?). My Grandfather's siblings (I am aware of) were; WILLIAM, THOMAS, JAMES, ARCHIE and ALEX.

I'd be grateful if you had any information to share.

Best regards
Darran Smith
Scotland

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 4:58PM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2009 7:16PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH
Hi Darran It was good to hear from you. It would appear that we are cousins!
My Grandfather was Alexander Smith,born 25 Jan 1893 in Arbroath & died 23 April 1950. He was lost at sea sadly before I was born so I didn't know him.He went to Milford Haven with the fishing where he married my Grandmother in 1917.They had seven children.
Have you been researching the family tree long? Do you live near Arbroath?
I look forward to hearing from you again & we can compare notes. Best regards Gill

Posted: 25 Nov 2009 10:16AM GMT
Hi Gill

Thanks for your reply! I have always been interested in tracing the family tree and been alert to potential connections, but just recently started trying to pull things together. I have some information (newspaper clipping from a Scottish newspaper at the time) regarding your Grandfather's loss at sea. It was given to me many years ago by my Grandmother (Henry Young Smith's wife, so I believe that would be your Grandfather's sister-in-law).

What is your contact email so I can send it to you ? I'd also love to compare notes ! Best regards, Darran

Posted: 25 Nov 2009 6:54PM GMT
Hi Darran
Thanks for your message. My email address is mcghie100@hotmail.co.uk. I look forward to seeing the newspaper clipping. Thank you.
It's difficult to know where to begin to compare notes. Well to start with- do you know the how Rebecca's father Henry Bolton Young was lost?
Also she had a sister Isabella who married Peter Smith who was Williams brother. So two sisters from Eyemouth married two brothers from Arbroath.
Reply soon.
Regards Gill

Posted: 14 Sep 2011 3:03PM GMT
Hi darren,thought i'd say hello,ive been tracing too and discovered these posts,my great grandfather was henry bolton young smith 1903-1978,my grandfather was also henry bolton young smith as is my uncle harry who is still at sea.my grandfather was born with sarah scott hens first wife.im not finding as many documents online as i did in a previous search a few years back.all the best Baikies Hens Hens jeemys jeemy.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 5:22PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2013 5:23PM GMT
Henry Bolton Young(who died in the Eyemouth disaster) was married to Isabella Purves who died in 1875. They had a daughter Rebecca who married William Smith and named their son Henry Bolton Young Smith my great grandfather. He married Rosina Borthwick in 1877, two years after Isabellas death. No mention of his previous wifes siblings were mentioned after the disaster so this created confusion in the research.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions