Search for content in message boards

Bernard McDevitt and Elizabeth Scribner

Bernard McDevitt and Elizabeth Scribner

Jennifer (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2004 6:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BECKINGHAM, FRAZEE, TURNER, TRIFTS, HERSEY, DEAN
Looking for information about Bernard and Elizabeth Scribner and their daughters Mrs James Price and Mrs A. Rouke. I believe that Mrs James Price is Ruby Irene (McDevitt) Price.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Elizabeth's parents were William and Charlotte (Parin) Scribner. Elizabeth also had a sister Maria (Parin) Beckingham. When her husband George Beckingham died she remarried Samuel Watson.
I would also like any information about William and Charlotte Scribner.
Thanks, Jennifer Turner

Re: Bernard McDevitt & Elizabeth Scribner

Susan Wyllie (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2004 3:55PM GMT
1901 census - Wellington ward, St. John, St. John Co., NB

Bernard McDevitt, 40, b. Aug. 7, 1861, NB, Catholic, Teamster
Eliza A., wife, 34, b. March 15, 1867, NB, Church of England
Evelyn, daughter, 14, b. Nov. 12, 1887, NB, at school, Church of England
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1881 census - Sydney ward, St. John, St. John Co., NB

Mary McDevitt, 60, widow, b. Ireland, Roman Catholic
Samuel McDevitt, 20, b. NB, Roman Catholic
Bernard McDevitt, 15, b. NB, Roman Catholic
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1881 census - Sydney ward, St. John, St. John Co., NB

George Beckingham, 40, b. England, Church of England, laborer
Maria, wife, 23, b. Prince Edward Island, Church of England
William, son, 13, b. NB
Frederick, son, 9, b.NB
George, son, 4, b. NB
Alice, daughter, 6 months, b. Nov., NB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard McDevitt and Eliza Scribner had two kids listed in the Provincial Archives of NB birth records:
1. Evelyn, b. Nov. 18, 1887 in St. John city.
2. Ruby Irene, b. July 12, 1905 in St. John city. She married James Allen Price on Sept. 27, 1923 in St. John city, St. John Co., NB.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frederick Charles Beckingham, b. Feb. 11, 1873 in St. John city, St. John Co., NB, the son of George Beckingham and Zalaria Perrin. (Provincial Archives of NB birth records)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard McDevitt died Jan. 26, 1930 in St. John Co., NB
Elizabeth McDevitt, died March 21, 1937 in St. John Co., NB
(Provincial Archives death records)
William Scribner, died May 15, 1897 in St. John Co., NB, age 58. He was born in Saint John.

Dingee Scribner (William's father) died Sept. 4, 1900 in St. John Co., NB, age 86. He was born in Gagetown, Queens Co., NB.

Maria Scribner (William's mother) died May 25, 1905, age 85. She was born in Kings County, NB.

The above three listings are from Saint John burial permits at the Provincial Archives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1851 census - Dukes/Queens, St. John Co., NB

Dingey Scribner, 34, b. NB, Cabinet maker
Mary, wife, 29, b. NB
William, son, 9, b. NB
Charles, son, 6, b. NB
Frederick, son, 3, b. NB
Hannah ARMSTRONG, 24, b. NB
Rebecca HAYS, 10, b. NB
Dingee Scribner was the son of Ebenezer Scribner and Sarah Dingee of Queens County, NB

Ebenezer Scribner, christened June 25, 1788 in Gagetown, Queens Co., NB, son of Samuel and Elinor Scribner. (Gagetown Anglican Church records)

Ebenezer Scribner married Sarah Dingee on Sept. 26, 1811 in Gagetown, Queens Co., NB. (Gagetown Anglican Church records)

Ebenezer Scribner buried in 1833 in Gagetown, NB (Gagetown Anglican Church records)

Sarah Scribner, died in St. John, Feb. 3, 1864, age 77. (Gagetown Anglican Church records)
from "Early New Brunswick Probate Records" by R. Wallace Hale:

Ebenezer SCRIBNER
parish of Gagetown, Queens Co. Will dated May 13, 1828. Proved April 10, 1833.

Wife Sarah all real and personal estate for her use and benefit and to enable her to support my children who are now born or may be within nine months after my decease. Wife Sarah Scribner and brother-in-law Robert Dingee executors.

Witnesses: Asher Vail, Valentine H. Peters, and John MacDonald.

Inventory: dated April 10, 1833, valued at 202 pounds by John MacDonald and John Colling.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samuel Scribner, Ebenezer's daddy, may have been a Loyalist. There was an Elinor Scribner (Ebenezer's mama?) who's listed in "The New Loyalist Index", Volume 1. It says she came to NB in May, 1783 and settled in Kingston, NB. In the 1851 census she is 84 years old, and sick, living with her son Seth and his family.

jennifer turner (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2004 1:32AM GMT
Susan
I can't thank you enough for the information you gave me.
Are you related to this family?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Jennifer

Susan Wyllie (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2004 1:04PM GMT
No, I'm not related to this family. I just thought I'd see if I could help you.

Re: Bernard McDevitt and Elizabeth Scribner

nancy (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 11:00PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: mcdevitt, scribner, rourke
Mary Evelyn, daughter of Bernard and Eliza Scribner McDevitt was the wife of Arthur Rourke. Arthur Rourke is my great grandmothers sisters child. You can contact me at fancinan@nbnet.nb.ca for more info.
Tks
Nancy

Jennifer Turner (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2004 6:15PM GMT
Hello Nancy

I've been trying to send you some info on Maria, Elizabeth (Scribner) McDevitt's sister but i can't get through. Tells me it's rejected.

Attachments:

Nancy (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2005 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: mcdevitt, scribner
Jennifer, Thank you very much for the attachments. I don't know why I didn't get these on my email address. Just happened to be checking on the site. My email fancinan@nbnet.nb.ca if you want to contact me.
My sincere appreciation to you.
Nancy

Hersey Re: Bernard McDevitt and Elizabeth Scribner

Posted: 31 Jul 2005 12:12PM GMT
Surnames: Hersey/Chase
Hoping you may have info on Leverett H. Hersey b: abt 1817 NB,
m: Catherine Ann Chase b: 1816 Gagetown.
Looking for his parents, any leads are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Roxy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic