Search for content in message boards

Need help with finding a death notice

Need help with finding a death notice

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 1:46AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: McGinn Markley
My great X 2 Grandfather was James McGinn. He moved to Barryville/Pond Eddy from Kingston about 1870. For a time he took over running the hotel his In laws - Morris and Catharine Markley ran after their deaths (hers 1873).

James died 1 July 1889 when my great Grandfather Bernard was almost 3 years old. Recently while looking up some newspapers online at Fultonhistory, a copy of a page of the Republican Watchman popped up. It was dated 19 Apr 1889, and said James left Barryville the week prior to find a better location and got a job at Long Eddy in the blue stone business. He was going to move his family as soon as he found a place.

I then had a page pop up dated 12 July 1889, also teh Republican Watchman and under "A Card of Thanks" was a blurb where My Great X2 Grandmother was thanking the people of Barryville for 'assistance rendered and kindness shown by them in her sad bereavment".

No matter what I tried, I couldn't access the paper from the week before.

Does anyone have access to the 5 July Issue of the Republican Watchman? I am sure there would be at the least an obituary writeup for my Great Grandfather in that issue. I would be happy to cover costs of photocopies, etc.

Re: Need help with finding a death notice

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 4:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
There is an obituary for James McGinn in the Republican Watchman issue dated 12 July 1889, on page 1. It can be found at this url:

http://fultonhistory.com/newspaper%209/Monticello%20NY%20Rep...

If you have any trouble accessing this link, email me at vnpiper@hvc.rr.com and I will send you the pdf copy of the page.

Vivian
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions