Search for content in message boards

Raffensperger and Heston Family and Ancestry

Raffensperger and Heston Family and Ancestry

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 10:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Raffensperger, Bowman, Heston, Gutridge, Guthridge
Seeking information on the family of Daniel (1796-1877) and Mary (Bowman) Raffensperger. They moved to Springfield in 1836 and raised several children, among them Rev. Edwin Bowman Raffensperger (20 Jan 1824-1 May 1885, a graduate of Princeton University and prominent churchman; Alfred Raffensperger (8 Dec 1828-2 Oct 1915) Henry J. Raffensberger, born 29 Jun 1832.

The 1840 census shows the families of Daniel Raffensperger and Thomas Heston within 8 heads of household, living in Pike Twp., Clark Co., Ohio; I believe Thomas Heston was the father of one Mary Heston who married Darius K. Guthridge in Xenia, Ohio on June 18, 1846.

According to the testimony of an 85 year old step-daughter of Mary Heston Guthridge, written down in 1925, Darius met Mary Heston in Springfield (Daniel Raffensperger was supposedly elected sheriff of Clark County in 1846, the year Darius and Mary were married).

I have found a Thomas Heston living in Adams County, Pennsylvania at the same time Daniel Raffensperger lived there, before both moved to Ohio. It's possible that Thomas Heston's wife was a sister of Daniel Daffensperger's wife (Mary Bowman) -- I found reference to a law case in Adams County, Pennsylvania of Thomas Heston vs. Administrators of John Bowman, in 1842.)

In any event, the death record of Darius and Mary Guthridge's last surviving daughter, Kate Ann (Guthridge) Rice on April 29, 1940 in Tacoma, Washington states Kate was a daughter of Darius Guthridge and Mary Raffensperger. Maybe descendants of the family got the Heston - Raffensperger connection confused.

Family records show that Mary Heston Guthridge was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania on October 22, 1821 -- she was certainly a contemporary of the children of Daniel and Mary (Bowman) Raffensperger -- and easily a 1st cousin.

Anyone researching these people?

Thanks for your help.

Richard Cochran
Big Rapids, Michigan

Re: Raffensperger and Heston Family and Ancestry

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 2:00AM GMT
Hello, I'm not related to anyone in this family

Newspaper article in the Marion Daily Star January 26, 1885, Page 3

Dr. Raffensperger received word yesterday
that his father, Rev. E. B. Rafensperger,
formerly of Marion, but now of Muncy, Pa., was very sick and no hopes of his recovery. The doctor left
today for Muncy and will be absent several days.

I also found this article in the Marion Daily Star February 2, 1885, Page 3

From the Muncy (Pa.) Luminary, of January 30th, 1885.
The serious illness of the Rev. Dr. E.
B. Raffensperger, Pastor of the Presbyterian
Church, has excited the deepest
sympathy and regret in this whole community.
Prayers for his recovery were
offered last Sunday at the Baptist and
Methodist Churches and the prayers for
a sick person was read at St. James'
Church. We are glad to learn that Dr.
Raffensperger ia considered by his physician
to be improving now. His present
illness is in consequence of exposure aud
overwork during the Week of Prayer, before
he had recovered from a previous
attack, and his physician now insists
that he shall not occupy his pulpit for
several weeks. Meanwhile the Friday
evening prayer meeting and the Sabbath
School will be continued as usual. His
son, Dr. E. H. Raffensperger, who is a
dentist in Marion, 0., reached here on
Tuesday. His daughter, Mrs. Dr. Johnson,
of Urbana, 0., is expected soon.

Re: Raffensperger and Heston Family and Ancestry

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 4:30AM GMT
Hello, I also found the obituary of Mrs. Anna Mohr Raffensperger, she is the wife of Dr. E. H. Raffensperger
let me know if ur interested in the article
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions