Search for content in message boards

William and Penelope HICKS STARK, Seneca Co., NY

William and Penelope HICKS STARK, Seneca Co., NY

Jon Marx (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2005 3:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STARK, HUNT
Is anyone on this board researching these STARKs? I was recently in Seneca County, NY, checking land records and on one record that included these names, someone, in a modern handwriting, had noted a birth date for William and a marriage date by Penelope.

William had a brother Aaron whose wife was named Mary. Looking for Mary's maiden name. I suspect there were two Aarons in the area from two different families and both married Marys. One son was s/o Aaron and the other may have been s/o Isaac. Can anyone shed some light on these people? Would you also have information to connect other STARK families in Seneca County?

Thank you.

Jon

Re: William and Penelope HICKS STARK, Seneca Co., NY

Clovis LaFleur (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2005 2:04AM GMT
Hello Jon

William Stark who married Penelope Hicks, at least for me, has been a mystery for several years. William and Penelope were reported in the text titled “The Aaron Stark Family, Seven Generations,” page 29, by Charles R. Stark, published in 1927. Individual Number 124 on that page has the following information:
=========================
124. William (Stark) (Ichabod #45, Stephen #9, Aaron #2, Aaron #1), b. July 16, 1790; d. Apr. 27, 1836; m. Feb. 22, 1821, Penelope Hicks.

Children
320. Caroline W., b. Dec. 8, 1822; m. May 31, 1855, W. D. Saxton.
321. Henry A., b. Jan. 29, 1824; d. Mar. 5, 1854.
+ 322. Jacob H., b. Jan. 12, 1827.
323. Elizabeth, b. Feb. 28, 1829.
324. Albert B., b. Apr. 24, 1830.
+ 325. Isaac, b. Jan. 5, 1833.

Note.----In my manuscript William’s pedigree is given thus: William (Aaron #37, Aaron #8, Aaron #2, Aaron #1), but in “Early Germans of New Jersey,” from which the account is taken, Aaron has no son William, and he seems to fit in exactly with the family of Ichabod, where I have placed him awaiting further developments. ---CRS
===========================
I believe Charles Stark was correct (William belonged with the New Jersey Stark Family) in his note, and his placement of this William in his text as a son of Ichabod Stark #45, was incorrect. According to CRS, Ichabod Stark #45 was born May 13, 1713 and married Mehitable. (See page 16 of text) I investigated further, and found the following research of Donald L. Jacobus , New Haven, Connecticut. This research was done for Mrs. H. S. McKee of Greensburg, Indiana and was dated July 28, 1951. He says the following:
============================
“Take Ichabod (Stark), son of Stephen, Sr. (Stark). He was born at Groton (Connecticut), 22 May 1713, and married at Wallingford, Conn., Mehitabel Hough, b. 15 Aug. 1714, dau. of William and Mehitabel Hough. They had three children recorded at Wallingford: Hannah, b. 10 Feb. 1741/42; Deborah, b. 21 Jan 1743/44; and William, b. 14 Aug. 1745.”

As can be seen, the Ichabod Stark #45 in the CRS text, did have a son named William born in August of 1745. But as one can clearly see, it would be hard to imagine this Ichabod Stark, born in 1713, having a son named William born July 16, 1790, when Ichabod was 77. Not impossible, but not likely.

Therefore, for this reason and several others I will not discuss at this time, I determined the parentage of William Stark who married Penelope Hicks, could not be determined based on the information provided in the CRS text. The CRS text presented no source information and without place information, I could not determine where this William Stark could have been living. That is, until your posting today on the Stark Family Message Board.

Knowing there was a William Stark who married Penelope Hicks living in Seneca County, New York, I checked the 1850 census and found the following:
Source: 1850 Census, Fayette, Seneca, New York
National Archives Roll M432_597, page 165
Enumerated August 8, 1850
Line 35, Penelope Stark, 60, f, $5,000, Born in New York
Line 36, Caroline Stark, 27, f, New York
*Line 37, A. B. Stark, 20, m, Farmer, New York
Line 38, Isaac Stark, 17, m, Farmer, New York
* The text titled "The Aaron Stark Family, Seven Generations," page 29, by Charles R. Stark, published in 1927, reports William Stark and Penelope Hicks had a son named Albert B. Stark, born April 24, 1830. A. B. Stark was most likely this Albert B. Stark.
Penelope was head of the house indicating William had most likely died before the census, which, according to the CRS text, the death date of William was April 27, 1836. Note in the census, the children named Caroline, A. B., and Isaac, have similar names and birth years as reported in the CRS text. This was the family of William Stark who married Penelope Hicks reported in the CRS Text.

Next, I investigated further and found P. Stark in the 1840 census, who was the widow Penelope Stark having children in the home approximating the ages of the children reported in the CRS text. They were still living in Seneca County. However, I could not find reliable information on the family before 1840 in the census data.

I investigated further online and found in 1820 there were other Stark men in Fayette as follows:
==============================
Source: 1820 Census, Fayette, Seneca County, New York
National Archives Roll M33_75, page 371
Head of the House: Aaron Stark (Most likely born between 1775 & 1794)
Males (to 10 yrs: 1)(26 to 45 yrs: 1)
Females (to 10 yrs: 3)(@6 to 45 yrs: 1)
[Following was living next door To Aaron Stark. Appears on next line of census]
Head of the House: William Stark (Most likely born before 1775)
Males (16 to 18 yrs: 1)(16 to 26 yrs: 1)(Over 45 yrs: 1)
Females (16 to 26 yrs: 1)(Over 45 yrs: 1)
===============================
This William Stark clearly cannot be the William of this discussion for he was born before 1775, and I cannot say where he would fit at this time. But there is an Aaron Stark. Additional research in Seneca County online revealed the following:
================================
Source: Wills and Letters of Administration, Seneca County, New York
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyseneca/wills.htm
STARK Aaron, late of Fayette. Letters of Administration granted Nov.29, 1811 to Isaac Stark. pg. 202.
Notice, as you mentioned on the Message Board, there was an Aaron Stark living in Seneca County, who apparently died before Nov. of 1811 and his estate was administered by Isaac Stark, another name you mentioned. The above was all that was mentioned, but it would seem a copy of that document would reveal more about this Aaron Stark’s family.

Going a bit further, I found William and Penelope’s son, Jacob H. Stark, was residing in Ann Arbor, Michigan in 1886. (See page 51 of the CRS text, ID# 322) I took a look at the census data for 1880 and found the following:
Source: 1880 Census, Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, Michigan
National Archives Roll: T9_608; Page: 92A; Enumeration District: 225
Enumerated June 10, 1880
Line 22, Stark, Jacob, w, m, 53, Head, Sexton in Cemetery, New York, New Jersey, New York
Line 23, Stark, Mary G., w, f, 38, Wife, Keeping House, Michigan, New York, Connecticut
Line 24, Stark, Charles, w, m, 7, Son, Michigan, New York, Michigan
Line 25, Stark, William J., w, m, 5, Son, Michigan, New York, Michigan
*Line 26, Stark, Samuel C., w, m, 3, Son, Michigan, New York, Michigan
Line 27, Stark, Don A., w, m, 1, Son, Michigan, New York, Michigan
* The text titled "The Aaron Stark Family, Seven Generations," page 51, by Charles R. Stark, published in 1927, reports Jacob Stark and Mary G. Chandler had a son named S. Chandler Stark, born November 28, 1877. Samuel C. Stark and S. Chandler Stark are most likely the same person.
The CRS text reported Jacob H. Stark was born January 12, 1827 and married February 14, 1867, Mary G. Chandler. Children were: 1) Charles C., b. Oct. 29, 1873; 2) William J., b. Sept. 23, 1875; 3) S. Chandler, b. Nov. 28, 1877; 4) Don Austin, b. Nov. 16, 1879; and 5) Mary “Molly”, b. Jan. 2, 1884.

Note the first four of these children match in names and ages the four sons of Jacob reported in the 1880 census. The Jacob in this 1880 census would be the same Jacob reported in the CRS text. Now, note the father of Jacob was born in New Jersey. If this was reported correctly, then William Stark who married Penelope Hicks, was born in New Jersey, and belongs with one of those families, most likely as stated by Charles R. Stark in his text.

Going a bit further, on page 28, CRS did report an Aaron Stark who married Mary Hunt. CRS reported the following:
116. Aaron Stark (Isaac #40, Aaron #8, Aaron #2, Aaron #1), b. May 5, 1804; d. Jan., 1864; m. Mary Hunt.

Children
+ 311. J. H. Stark, b. Feb. 18, 1830.
+ 312. William Stark, b. Feb. 18, 1834

CRS Note: “Aaron Stark married Mary Hunt, who was born in Junius, N. Y., June 13, 1805. He died in January, 1864, and is buried at Oxford, Erie County, Ohio.”
=================================
I have briefly looked at the census data and confirmed this Aaron was in Ohio in 1850. Present day Junius, New York is just outside Waterloo, Seneca County, New York and I believe this was the Aaron you indicate was married to a woman named “Mary.” Now, would this Aaron and William Stark who married Penelope Hicks, be brothers, as you indicated. I would say it’s possible and they were sons of the Isaac Stark who was named the Administrator of Aaron Stark’s estate in 1811.

Well, Jon & Message Board, about all for now. Does this information fit your research or the research of anyone else on the message board? Would like to hear from you. This one has really been a mystery for me until Jon posted his message. His information appears to provide some new leads.

Clovis LaFleur
Fredericksburg, Texas

Posted: 24 Jun 2005 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: STARK
I am not sure because I have not opened my research in a while but I think you may have links into my tree. My email is Knight_101@hotmail.com and I am a descendant of Johan Heinrich (John Henry) STARK. I will continue with more info at a later date. Please feel free to reply if you are interested.

Damian

Aaron STARK, d. by 1811, Seneca Co., NY

Posted: 15 Jul 2005 1:55AM GMT
Sorry, this information isn't documented, just sent to me by another researcher. We may be talking about the Aaron STARK who m. Elizabeth YOUNG. I believe that the Aaron STARK that died by 1811, Fayette, Seneca Co., NY, had the following children:

Mariam {sic} (178_ - 1854) m. 1818, Albert BRINERHOFF (1781, PA - 1855, Berlin, Ottawa, MI)
Elizabeth, m. Henry VanDYKE or VanDYNE?
William (16 July 1790 - 27 Apr. 1836) m. 22 Feb. 1821, Penelope HICKS.
John (1798 - 1884, Spring Lake, Ottawa, MI)
Mary, (1801 - 7 Nov. 1886) m. Wm. S. THACKER
Isaac (6/8 Nov. 1803 - 3 Mar. 1887, Furnace Village, Wayne, NY) m. Eliza Ann. Isaac's death certificate supposedly says he's son of Aaron and Elizabeth.

On 19 Aug. 1819, Samuel & Elizabeth HARPENDING were paid for keeping Mary and Isaac, children of Aaron STARK. Aaron had lived in Reading, Steuben Co.; Sempronius, Cayuga Co., & Fayette, Seneca Co., NY. [That's all I have, no reference. Since the son Isaac was b. 1803, the Isaac who administered for Aaron 29 Nov. 1811, was probably a brother.]

Also, Seneca Co., NY, deed L:149, 14 Je. 1817, to William and Aaron STARK. Deed R:181, 8 Mar. 1825, from Wm. & Penelope and Aaron & Mary, 50 acres in Fayette. [I don't have names of the other parties to the deeds and do not know that they both relate to the same tract. At least, we know there were deeds!]

Nankin, Wayne, MI, 1880: John STARK, 83, NY NJ NJ, with dau. Desire, 53, & next to Stephen, 50, & family.

Wolcott, Wayne, NY, 1880: Isaac STARK, 76, NY NJ NJ; wf. Eliza Ann, 68, NY.

Clinton, Lenawee, MI, 1880: W. D. SAXTON appears on the FamilySearch database as N. D. SAXTON, 62, NY NY NY, cooper; wf. Caroline, 57, NY NY NY; ch. b. MI: Mary E., 24; Emma, 22; & son H. W., 15.

Ward 6, University Home, Ann Arbor, Washtenaw, MI, 1880: Jacob STARK, 53, NY NJ NY, cemetery sexton; wf. Mary G., 38, MI NY CT; ch. b. MI: Charles, 7; Wm. J., 5; Samuel C., 3; & Don A., 1. Jacob d. 18 Apr. 1892.

Younger children of Wm. & Penelope:
Elizabeth (28 Feb. 1829 - 2 May 1829)
Albert B. (24 Apr. 1830 - 21 Oct. 1896) m. 26 Jan. 1853, Watertown, Clinton, MI, Margaret SCHOTT.
Isaac (5 Jan. 1833 - 20 Apr. 189_, Watertown, Clinton, MI).

I cannot find Albert on the FamilySearch database. Could A. B. have become Byron?

There were two Isaacs of the right age in Michigan. In Spring Lake, Ottawa, MI, there were Isaac W. STARK, 44, NY NJ NJ; wf. Laura, 42, MI; son Geo., 23, MI; dau. Mary, 14, NJ; and father John STARK, 82, NJ NJ NJ. Since that Isaac was s/o John, then the son of Wm. might be Isaac of Eagle, Clinton, MI, 1880: Isaac, 46, NY (parents b. places not listed); wf. Jane M., 35, OH; dau. Hattie, 10, NY; & son Miles, 8, MI. [CRS book lists Isaac's wf. as M. J. TALLMAN, which must be Jane Malvina (7 Mar. 1845, Wyandotte Co., OH - 4 Jan. 1916, Grand Ledge, Eaton, MI). Dau. Harriet L., "Hattie" (18 S 1869 - 17 May 1936, Grand L., MI) m. 12 Nov. 1894, John Thos. CHAPLIN, b. 14 Feb. 1868, s/o Wm., & had CHAPLIN: Leon V., b. 14 F 1896; Harriet V., Eliz. Jane, & Marjorie C.

Again, with the "clue only," not documented, data, Aaron STARK & Mary HUNT had
Delia, b. ca. 1829
John, b. 18 Feb. 1830
Hiram, b. 1832
Wm., b. 1834
Lewis, b. 24 Dec. 1836, m. Sarah L. JAMES
Mary, b. 1838, m. Wm. JAMES [bro/o S.]
Lydia/Lida, ca. 1840
Welthea, b. ca. 1842
James, b.ca. 1844
Reed, b. ca. 1846
Amy/Amey, b. 1848.

My head is spinning!

Re: Aaron STARK, d. by 1811, Seneca Co., NY

Clovis LaFleur (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2005 9:45PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Hello Stark Message Board,

I would like to thank Marilyn Roth for her posting. I believe I have some information that will verify some of the information in her message. However, before I address those items, let me reveal some of my research into the Morris County, New Jersey Stark families, some of which will be supported by source information and some which will be speculation on my part.

I have noticed much of the genealogical order for this branch of Aaron Stark’s (1608 - 1685) descendants, presented on line and elsewhere, has been greatly influenced by the text titled “The Aaron Stark Family, Seven Generations,” compiled by Charles R. Stark and published in 1927. My research has shown a large number of discrepancies in this text and found it has not been a reliable source on the early generations of the Morris County, New Jersey Stark families.

So let’s start at the beginning of this line with Aaron Stark who married Margaret Wells in New London County, Connecticut about 1707. (From this point on, I will refer to the above text as the “CRS text.”) On page 8 of the CRS text he reported a Aaron Stark, ID#8 and I quote from the text:
==========================
8. Aaron (Aaron3, Aaron2, Aaron1), b. 1678, m. Margaret.
Children
+37. Aaron. +38. John. +39. Amos. +40. Isaac. 41. Mary, m. Soloman.+42. Margaret, m. Peter Soloman (Salmon). 43. Hannah, m. Abraham Fulcher.”
This is the first family reported in the third generation of the book. This looks straight forward until one reviews the fourth generation, indicated in the above by the (+) in front of the individuals identification number. On page 15, CRS reports birth and death data as follows:
Aaron Stark, ID#37, born about 1709, died January 21, 1772, married Elizabeth Young.

John Stark, ID#38, born about 1730, died 1825, married Mary Dilla who died in 1825.

Amos Stark, ID#39, born before 1729, died 1767, married first, Unknown, married second, Mrs. Hannah (Goble) Tompkins, born 1729, died February 7, 1799.

Isaac Stark, ID#40, married Elizabeth Reed

Margaret Stark, ID#42, died October 1, 1820 at the age of 80 years; married Peter Salmon, born November 25, 1740, died February 19, 1825 at age of 84 years, 2months, 25 days. (The CRS text on page 16 gave Margaret an ID# of 41 while on page 8, her ID# was 42. Both are the same person and I have given her the ID# reported on page 8)
The death date CRS reported for Margaret Stark, ID#42, on page 16, would imply if she were 80 years old in 1820, then she was born in 1740. Therefore, according to the CRS text, Margaret (Surname not given in the CRS text), the wife of Aaron Stark, ID#8, had a son named Aaron, ID#37 in 1709 and a daughter, Margaret, ID#42, 31 years later. If this Margaret who married Aaron Stark, ID#8, was 16 years old when she married, for example in 1708, then she would have been 48 years old when her daughter, Margaret, ID#42, was born in the year 1740. Not impossible, but also not very probable, especially if this Margaret was older than 16 years old when she married. I would speculate the Margaret, ID#42, was most likely the daughter of Aaron Stark, ID#37, and was named after her grandmother. This possibility will be addressed at a later date.

The Margaret who married Aaron Stark, ID#8, was most likely Margaret Wells, born May 19, 1682. That her surname was wells comes from a deed recorded January 20, 1713/14 (Source: Groton New London County, CT, Deed Records, FHL Film #4293, Book 1) This deed transaction records Aaron Stark, John Wells, & Thomas Wells received 35 pounds from Joseph Wells for a lot by their father, deceased. Aaron was probably a brother-in-law to these Wells family members, hence, the given name of his spouse must have been Wells. The birth date comes from the research of Dawn Carlisle dcblackwing@hotmail.com.

If this birth date is correct, the Margaret Wells who married Aaron Stark, ID#8, would have been 58 years old when Martha was born which would be practically impossible. It’s possible Aaron Stark, ID#8, could have married a second time, but I have found no record this occurred. Therefore, assuming the above data is correct, this would reinforce the probability Margaret Stark, ID#42, was not a daughter of Aaron Stark, ID#8, and Margaret Wells. However, Margaret Stark, ID#42, did live in Morris County, and did marry Peter Salmon, proof of this fact to be addressed at a later date.

I believe there was an Aaron Stark, ID#37, born in 1708 who died in 1772. A cemetery survey from the 1920’s reported Captain Aaron Stark, born in 1708, died in 1772, was buried in Flanders, Morris County, New Jersey, and was most likely the Aaron Stark, ID#37, reported in the CRS text. The CRS text reported Aaron Stark, ID#37, who married Elizabeth Young, had children named Amos, ID#99, Aaron, ID#100, and Jonathan, ID#101, who CRS reports married March 14, 1765, Margaret Ball. I can say with certainty, Amos Stark, ID#99, was the same Amos Stark, ID#39, reported by the CRS text to have been a son of Aaron Stark, ID#8, my proof to follow.

On page 15, Amos Stark, ID#39, was reported, as above, to have married Mrs. Hannah (Goble) Tompkins. CRS reports they had children named Abraham, ID#109; Isaac, ID#110; Jacob, ID#111; and Amos, ID#112, born October 31, 1767. CRS provides a note which says: “He (Amos Stark) is reported to have lived at one time at the head of Seneca Lake. He was twice married, his second wife being the Widow Tompkins whose maiden name was Goble.”

Now go to page 26 of the CRS text. On this page CRS reports Amos Stark, ID#99, m. Hannah Goble, b. 1729, died February 7, 1799. On page 15, CRS reports Amos Stark, ID#39, born before 1729, died 1767, married first, Unknown, married second, Mrs. Hannah (Goble) Tompkins, born 1729, died February 7, 1799. Can there be any doubt Amos ID#39 and Amos ID#99 are the same person, reported in the CRS text to have different parents? On page 26, for Amos ID#99, CRS has these comments: “Amos Stark was a resident of Morristown, N. J. His will, dated Aug. 6, was probated Sept. 18, 1767, in that town.” CRS reports this Amos, ID#99 had children named Abraham, ID#281; Isaac, ID#282, and Jacob, ID#283. Note these children have the same given names as the above Abraham, ID#109; Isaac, ID#110; and Jacob, ID#111.

Further research has revealed there was a probate record for Amos Stark in Morristown, as reported in the CRS text. An abstract of this record states:
Source: (Lib. 1, p. 159) 1767, Aug. 26. STARK, Enos (Amos), of Morristown, Morris Co., yeoman; will of: All my lands in this and Sussex Co. to be sold, if my Executors think best. Wife, Hannah, all the personal and real she had when I married her, and £45 beside. Remainder to my children, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; and my Executors are to consider the child that my wife is now pregnant with. Executors - Aaron Stark and Capt. John Brookfield. Witnesses - Job Brookfield, Uzal Tomkins, James Gillispie. Proved Sept. 18, 1767.
Clearly, the Amos Stark who prepared this will had sons named Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as presented in the CRS text and the dates of signing and probate agree with the CRS text as presented on page 26 for Amos Stark, ID#99. Further, I would argue the sons Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, were of age and not children of Hannah Goble. However, as presented, Hannah did have an unborn child, that child, I would speculate, being the Amos Stark, ID#112, born October 31, 1767, reported above to be a child of Amos Stark, ID#39.

The text, “Rockaway Records of Morris County, N. J. Families,” by J. Percy Crayon (Rockaway, N.J., Rockaway Publishing Co., 1902), reports “"Ichabod TOMPKINS was the second minister of the Baptist Church at Morristown, from Nov. 6, 1759, to Jan. 3, 1761, at which date he died….He married Hannah GOBLE Dec. 24, 1746. She married (2) Amos Stark, and died Feb. 7, 1797, aged 70 years.” Therefore, Hannah most likely did not marry Amos until after January 3, 1761. The first child born to Hannah and Ichabod was Uzal Tompkins who was a witness to the above will of Amos Stark. Therefore, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were children of the first wife of Amos, her name unknown, and Amos Stark, Junior, born October 31, 1767, was a son of Hannah Goble.

The birth of Amos, I would speculate, was probably quite a bit earlier than 1727. I would speculate Hannah was most likely born before 1730 if she was no older than 16 years old when she married Ichabod Tompkins in 1746. If Amos was the same age as Hannah, then he would have been born before 1730. However, when he married Hannah, he had three children, poosibly of legal age and there were eight Tompkins children that came with the marriage, none of which would have been over 21 years old at the time of the marriage. If Hannah was looking after the interest of her children, I believe she most likely married a man of means and one who was well established in the community, that is, someone as old or older than herself.

Amos, at the very least, I believe, was over thirty and could have been forty years old or older when he married Hannah. I would speculate the birth of Amos occurred between 1710 and 1725 and his father was most likely Aaron Stark who married Margaret Wells. Since Aaron Stark who married Elizabeth Young would have been 2 in 1710 and 17 in 1725, I believe he was most likely not the father of Amos, but his brother. I believe circumstances for Amos and Hannah lean towards Amos being born at least before 1725. Again, this is only speculation and no records have been found to support this theory.

My conclusions:

Aaron Stark who married Margaret Wells, had two sons and possibly two daughters when he moved to New Jersey about 1732. Most certainly, Aaron Stark, ID#37, born in 1709, was a son, and most likely Amos Stark, ID#39, born between 1710 and 1725, was a son. I believe John Stark, ID#38 and Margaret Stark, ID#42, were children of Aaron Stark, ID#37, and Elizabeth Young. Isaac Stark, ID#40, was most likely the son of Amos Stark, ID#39 and his unknown first wife. The parentage and existence of Mary Stark, ID#41, and Hannah Stark, ID#43, from my research can only be attributed to the CRS text, for I have found no confirmation sources on these individuals as yet. Therefore, the following would be my organization for the first two generations in Morris County, these being individuals reported in the CRS text. There may be other individuals misplaced in the text which I will address at a later date. However, the following represents what my research has revealed at this time and further explanations and proof will follow in another message.

Descendants of Aaron Stark, III (to NJ)

Generation No. 1

1. Aaron3 Stark, III (to NJ) (Aaron2, Aaron1) was born 1678 in New London County, Connecticut, and died Aft. 1744 in Probably Morris County, New Jersey. He married Margaret Wells Bef. 1709 in Probably Groton, New London County, Connecticut, daughter of John Wells and Margaret Allyn. She was born May 19, 1682 in Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut, and died Aft. January 1725/26 in Connecticut or New Jersey.

Children of Aaron Stark and Margaret Wells are:
+ 2 i. Aaron4 Stark IV, born 1708 in Groton, New London County, Connecticut; died January 21, 1772 in Flanders, New Jersey.
+ 3 ii. Amos Stark, Senior, born Bet. 1710 - 1725 in New London County, Connecticut; died 1767 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey.
4 iii. Mary Stark. She married Unknown Soloman.
5 iv. Hannah Stark. She married Abraham Fulcher.

Generation No. 2

2. Aaron4 Stark IV (Aaron3, Aaron2, Aaron1) was born 1708 in Groton, New London County, Connecticut, and died January 21, 1772 in Flanders, New Jersey. He married Elizabeth Young.

Children of Aaron Stark and Elizabeth Young are:
6 i. Aaron5 Stark V.
7 ii. John Stark, Lt. Col., born April 01, 1733 in Flanders, Morris County, New Jersey; died May 10, 1822 in Flanders, Morris County, New Jersey. He married Mary Dilla May 1765; born November 27, 1740 in Groton, New London County, Connecticut; died 1825 in New Jersey.
8 iii. Margaret Stark, born Abt. 1740 in Mt. Olive, Morris County, New Jersey; died October 01, 1820 in Morris County, New Jersey. She married Peter Salmon, Capt. January 27, 1763 in Mt. Olive, Morris, New Jersey; born November 25, 1740 in Mt Olive, Morris County, New Jersey; died February 19, 1825 in Morris County, New Jersey.
9 iv. Amos Stark, Colonel, born March 23, 1750/51; died November 10, 1832. He married Polly Vantile, (VanTyle?); born October 15, 1749; died December 23, 1810.

3. Amos4 Stark, Senior (Aaron3, Aaron2, Aaron1) was born Bet. 1710 - 1725 in New London County, Connecticut, and died 1767 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey. He married (1) Unknown Spouse #1. He married (2) Hannah Goble (Widow Tompkins) Aft. April 1761 in Morris County, New Jersey. She was born 1729, and died February 07, 1799.

Children of Amos Stark and Unknown #1 are:
10 i. Abraham5 Stark, died 1814. He married Elizabeth Sperry.
11 ii. Jacob Stark.
12 iii. Isaac Stark, Senior, born Bef. 1755 in Morris County, New Jersey. He married Elizabeth Reed.

Child of Amos Stark and Hannah Tompkins) is:
13 i. Amos5 Stark, Junior, born October 31, 1767 in Morristown, New Jersey; died March 21, 1850 in Big Flats, Chemung County, New York. He married Elizabeth VanTassel December 21, 1794 in Minisink, Orange County, New York; born July 22, 1770 in Minisink, Orange County, New York; died May 05, 1859 in Michigan.

Aaron STARK, d. by 1811, Seneca Co., NY

Posted: 18 Jul 2005 4:36PM GMT
Hi, Clovis, Thanks for a noble attempt to straighten out the New Jersey STARK family. I agree with most of your theories. Again, I don't have primary proof, but here's another theory.

I refer again to Charles R. STARK. CRS, for Aaron & Margaret (p. 8, #8, Aaron STARK, b. ca. 1678, m. Margaret WELLS, b. ca. 1682), listed son John. Unfortunately, CRS makes John the one who m. Mary DILLA. I think there was probably a son John, b. by 1710, who was omitted by CRS and was the father of the John, b. 1 Apr. 1733, that m. 1765, Mary DILLA, & had John STARK, b. 3 Apr. 1771, m. 1 Mar. 1791, Catherine REED / REID, b. 18 May 1772, d/o Augustus. Again, I don't have the primary records, but John STARK reportedly signed all of his deeds "John STARKE, III."

John, b. by 1710, also had a son Aaron, b. ca. 1730, who m. Sarah, and had three sons, each of whom m. an Elizabeth.

Aaron STARK (ca. 1752 - 1811, Seneca Co., NY) m. Elizabeth [YOUNG?] b. ca. 1756
Isaac, Rev. soldier, m. Elizabeth REED, [one Elizabeth died 1849, Starkey, Yates, NY; this one?]
John, m. Elizabeth BUDD.

These brothers apparently did quite a bit of land speculation or moving or both. There are supposedly several joint deeds for them in Dundee & Starkey, Yates Co., & Romulus & Fayette, Seneca Co., NY.

A Google search brought up Aaron STARK and Elizabeth YOUNG with dau. Mariam, who m. Albert BRINCKERHOFF, whom I had as BRINERHOFF in my other message.

Can anyone throw any more light on this subject?

Re: Aaron STARK & Elizabeth Young

Posted: 19 Jul 2005 2:16AM GMT
Aaron Stark & Elizabeth Young

Comments by Clovis LaFleur, July 2005
Data for Aaron Stark, born 1708, died 1772, and his wife Elizabeth Young, was compiled by Charles R. Stark and published in 1927 in a text titled “The Aaron Stark Family, Seven Generations.” In researching this family, I have found many discrepancies in this text, which I will reveal in the following and suggest revisions supported by some sources while some will be based on speculation.

From my earlier discussion of Aaron Stark & Margaret Wells, I believe two sons named Aaron Stark and Amos Stark were documented and arrived in New Jersey about 1732 from New London County, Connecticut with their parents. They were part of the Rogerene Religious group who moved to the more religious tolerant colony of New Jersey . However, there was another man named Jonathan Stark, son of William Stark and Experience Lamb, who also made the move and was a cousin. He was born in 1712 in New London County, and has been documented living in New Jersey at the same time as the above Stark family. In particular, one of the children of Aaron Stark and Elizabeth Young reported in the CRS text was Jonathan Stark who married Margaret Ball. However, this was most likely not the case and as proof, I refer the reader to my web page titled “Jonathan Stark of Connecticut & Jonathan Stark of New Jersey. Same Person?” For those interested, the web page is located at URL

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~clovis/jon&jon....

For more on Jonathan Stark who married Margaret Ball, visit my WorldConnect Project Genealogy file at

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&...

On this web page, in particular in the year 1798, will be a deed which reveals the wife of the Jonathan Stark presented had the given name Margaret as follows:
========================
Oct. 20, 1798; Nelson Co., KY Deeds; This deed was made by Jonathan and Margaret to David Wells. This document reveals Jonathan's spouse was named Margaret. (Source: "James Stark of Stafford County Virginia and his Descendants, Volume 1", Compiled by Mary Kathryn Harris & Mary Iva Jean Jorgensen, Privately Printed, 1985, page 1349. Quote: Jonathan Stark and wife Margaret to David Wells -- 20 acres Nelson Co. on Froman's Creek, a branch of Cox Creek.)
========================

Aaron Stark, ID#8, who married Margaret Wells, had a son named Aaron Stark, ID#37, according to the CRS text, which was reported on page 8. On page 15, in the fourth generation, CRS reports Aaron Stark, ID#37, was born in 1709 and died January 21, 1772, and married Elizabeth Young. CRS reported this couple had children named : Amos, ID#99; Aaron, ID#100; and Jonathan, ID#101, who married March 15, 1765, Margaret Ball. As I’ve already revealed in my comments on Aaron Stark and Margaret Wells, Amos Stark, ID#99, as presented in the CRS text, was not a son of Aaron Stark, ID#37 and this Elizabeth Young . As stated above, I also do not believe Jonathan Stark, ID#101 was a son of this Aaron Stark and Elizabeth Young. If I’m correct, then we have another discrepancy in the CRS text.

Now, as Marilyn Roth suggested, I would also say Aaron Stark, ID#37, was not married to Elizabeth Young, as reported in the CRS text, but to a son named Aaron, who was most likely the Aaron Stark, ID#100 reported in the above paragraph. My reasoning comes from a letter dated August 17, 1970 to T. (Thomas) G. Allen from Rev. Clement Bloomfield, O. S. D., St. Mary’s Abbey, Morristown, New Jersey, Zip ?07960? (Difficult to read from copy of original). (My copy of this letter was provided by Pauline Stark Moore, who has contributed so much to my knowledge of the Stark Family) Rev. Bloomfield describes a visit to Flanders, attempting to locate the Stark family burial ground. As his guide, he refers to an earlier cemetery survey by Russell Rankin in 1927, which according to Rev. Bloomfield, was filed in the New Jersey Special Collections of the G. S. of New Jersey at Rutgers Library . After a lengthy description of locating the plot, he and a colleague, Father Daniel Downey, O. S. D., arrived at their destination. The inscriptions on the stones were difficult to read until Father Daniel suggested using a green apple, which had fallen from a nearby tree, to scrub the stones clean. Subsequently, they used the apple tree as their starting point in copying the stones.

Of importance to this discussion was a stone with “A. S.” and the inscription “In memory of Cap’t Aaron Starke who died Jan. 21st 1772 in the 64th year of his age.” This appears to be the source of the birth and death dates given for Aaron Stark, ID#37 in the CRS text. But of even more importance, was the following stone and inscription: “Amos, son of Aaron and Elizabeth Stark, died March 22, 1796, ag’d 6 years, 11 mos, and 6 days. ” Could this be the Aaron Stark and Elizabeth Young recorded in the CRS text? If this were true, it becomes obviously clear, the child Amos, born about 1790, could not have been a son of the above Captain Aaron Starke and the Elizabeth Stark mentioned was not his wife. Because no stone found in the cemetery refers to a wife of Captain Aaron Starke, I would have to say the name of his wife, at least from my perspective, is unknown.

I would, however, argue the Aaron Stark, husband of Elizabeth, was most likely intended by CRS to be Aaron Stark, ID#100, and he should have been reported as married to Elizabeth Young. Note in the CRS text, there is no birth, death, or marriage data on Aaron Stark, ID#100. However, before we jump to conclusions, note this argument, based on a cemetery stone, is not supported by a surname name for the Elizabeth Stark mentioned. The condition of the stone for the child Amos was described by Rev. Bloomfield as, “All that remains of stone for Amos, son of Aaron and Elizabeth Stark is a broken lower part with a rusted iron strap front to back, about 7” in length, bolted through the stone also some distance away….BUT the body of the stone reads:,” which was the above inscription.

Rev. Bloomfield only located 6 stones in the small cemetery, which he could easily find, two of which were described above. He noted and I quote “ We did not find the stone for John Stark, 3rd, died Nov. 5, 1844, aged 73.6.28 as copied by Russell Rankin. They may be concealed in the tall grass and brush on all sides of the clearing beneath the apple tree.” Rev. Bloomfield then writes this note, “This apple tree most certainly had not been there in 1927 when Russell B. Rankin copied the stones 43 years ago! Thus he describes the place as a thicket.” In reviewing the CRS text, this John Stark, 3rd, would most likely be John Stark, ID#103, who the CRS text reports was a son of John Stark, ID#38, and Mary Dilla. The location of his burial could indicate he was a son of the Aaron Stark and Elizabeth Stark reported to be the parents of the child Amos Stark, but I would speculate he was a son of John Stark and Mary Dilla, as presented in the CRS text.

Of further interest to our discussion, another stone had this inscription, “In Memory of Amos Stark who died Nov. 10, 1832, 83 year of his age.” In reviewing the CRS text, this would appear to be Colonel Amos Stark, ID#284, reported on page 26. The birth date given in the CRS text was March 23, 1750 and the death date given was November 10, 1832. He was buried near the above Captain Aaron Stark which would reinforce my speculation he was the son of Aaron Stark, ID#37, as presented in my previous e-mail. I will save the other three stones in the cemetery for comments at a later date.

The CRS text reports on page 26, Aaron Stark, ID#100 had children named: Colonel Amos Stark, ID#284, born March 23, 1750, died November 10, 1832; Sarah, ID#285, married John B. Nicholas; Aaron, 3rd, married May 10, 1798, Isabella Young; and Amy, ID#287, born July 20, 1779; married May 15, 1802, Jacob Weise, died November 30, 1848. CRS had no birth, death, or marriage information for Aaron Stark, ID#100.

From the above, if Amos Stark, ID#284, is excluded as a child, then most likely, the other children were children of Aaron Stark and Elizabeth Young, the surname for Elizabeth not known with certainty, and the name Amos, # 284 should have been the young Amos Stark who died in 1796 and was buried in the Flanders cemetery. Further more, recorded in other places in the CRS text, are possibly other children of Aaron Stark, ID#100.

I have reason to believe Aaron and Elizabeth moved near Seneca Lake, New York after Amos died in 1796 and before the 1800 census and the Aaron Stark who died about 1811 in Seneca County, New York, was most likely this Aaron Stark. As possible proof and related to comments to be presented at a later date, I offer the following from the Cayuga County, New York 1800 Census for the message board to review. Seneca County was created in 1804 from a portion of this County and these could possibly be members of the family of Aaron and Elizabeth, although, for the moment, I believe Isaac Stark was a cousin and the son of Amos Stark who married Hannah Goble for there was a Abraham Stark, possibly a son of Amos Stark, living in Cayuga County in 1800 at another location. My theory, if I have one, will be addressed at a later date.
=================================
Source: 1800 Census, Sempronius, Cayuga County, New York
National Archives Roll M32_28, page 680
Head of the House: Aaron Starks (Born before 1755)
Males (16 thru 25 yrs: 1)(45 yrs & Over: 1)
Females (45 yrs & Over: 1)
[Next line of Census page]
Head of the House: Aaron Starks Junior (Born between 1756 & 1774)
Males (Under 10 yrs: 1)(10 thru 15 yrs: 1)(16 thru 25 yrs: 1) (26 thru 44 years: 1)
Females (Under 10 yrs: 2)(10 thru 15 yrs: 1)(26 thru 44 yrs: 1)
[Next line of Census page]
Head of the house: Isaac Starks (Born Between 1756 & 1774)
Males (Under 10 yrs: 1)(10 thru 15 yrs: 1)(26 thru 44 yrs: 1)
Females (Under 10 yrs: 2)(26 thru 44 yrs: 1)
[Next Line of Census page]
Head of the house: John Stark (born between 1756 & 1774)
Males (10 thru 15 yrs: 1)(26 thru 44yrs: 1)
Females (Under 10 yrs: 1)(26 thru 44 yrs: 1)

Posted: 27 Jul 2005 11:15PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2005 2:02PM GMT
Surnames: Stark(s), Hicks
Sorry to be late but offer the following:

Family Group Sheet

Subject* Penelope Hicks (1965)
Birth* 4 May 1790 Schuylerville, Saratoga Co, NY.
Marriage* 28 Feb 1821
Death* 14 Feb 1864
Father* Jacob Hicks (4333)
Mother* Sarah Steerbarch (4334)

Spouse* William Starks (1412)
Birth* 11 Jul 1790
Death* 9 Apr 1834 Fayette, Seneca Co, NY.
Father* [--?--] Starks (7025)
Mother*

Seven Known Children

F Caroline M. Starks (1966)
Birth* 8 Dec 1822
Marriage* 31 May 1855 W. D. Saxton (1967)
Death* 27 Dec 1880

M Henry A. Starks (1968)
Birth* 29 Jan 1824 Fayette, Seneca Co, NY.
Death* 5 Mar 1854

M Jacob H. Starks (2019)
Birth* 12 Jan 1827
Marriage* 14 Feb 1867 Mary G.(or E) Chandler (2675)
Son: 29 Oct 1873 Charles C. Starks (2676)
Son: 23 Sep 1875 William J. Starks (2677)
Son: 28 Nov 1877 S. Chandler Starks (2678)
Son: 16 Nov 1879 Don Austin Starks (2679)
Death* 18 Apr 1892 Ann Arbor, Washtenaw Co, MI.
Daughter: __ ___ ____ Mary (Molly) Starks (2680)

F Elizabeth Starks (2020)
Birth* 28 Feb 1829 Fayette, Seneca Co, NY.
Death* 2 May 1829

M Albert B. Starks (2021)
Birth* 24 Feb 1830 Fayette, Seneca Co, NY.
Marriage* 26 Jan 1853 Margaret Schott (6909)
Death* 21 Oct 1896

M Isaac Starks (2022)
Birth* 5 Jan 1833 Fayette, Seneca Co, NY.
Marriage* __ ___ ____ Elizabeth Schott (6910) ( , d. 17 Sep 1857); Grand Lodge.
Daughter: circa __ ___ 1853 Elizabeth Starks (6911)
Daughter: circa __ ___ 1855 Maria Elizabeth Starks (6912)
Marriage* 22 Oct 1868 Melvina Jane Tallman (2681) (b. 7 Mar 1845, d. 4 Jan 1916); Clinton Co, MI.
Daughter: 18 Sep 1869 Harriet Louisa Starks (2682); Auburn, Cayuga Co, NY.
Son: 1 Dec 1871 Edward Miles Starks (2683)
Son: 17 Jul 1883 Clare Earl Starks (2684)
Death* 20 Apr 1891 Watertown, Middlesex Co, MA.

M William H. Starks (4502)
Birth* 7 Feb 1834 Fayette, Seneca Co, NY.
Death* __ ___ ____

Isaac Stark, & Elizabeth Reed, New Jersey & New York

Posted: 31 Jul 2005 2:25AM GMT
Comments by Clovis LaFleur, July 2005
Isaac Stark & Elizabeth Reed
By Clovis LaFleur, July 2005
Hypothesis
Isaac Stark who married Elizabeth Reed was most likely born in New Jersey between 1756 and 1765, probably before 1760. He was the son of Amos Stark and his first wife, her name unknown. A Revolutionary War Veteran, he enlisted for three years in January of 1776 in Captain Noadiah Wade’s company, serving with Corporal Jonathan Stark. Before 1785, he most likely married Elizabeth Reed in Morris County, New Jersey.
Their first child, Alexander, was born between 1785 and 1790 and after the birth of their son, George, in New Jersey in 1795 and before the 1800 census year, the family moved to Sempronius, Cayuga County, New York, this county formed from Onondaga County March 8, 1799. In 1809, Isaac was the first settler to arrive at a place called Harpenden’s Corners which later became the village of Dundee, located in Seneca County which had been formed from part of Cayuga County in 1804.
Isaac was reported in the 1810 census living in Junius, Seneca County, New York and he owned a farm of 200 acres which was south of Seneca Street. He was so little impressed with the value of his land, he offered his entire tract to John Woodruff for one span of gray horses, which was declined. Isaac was reported still living in Junius, Seneca County, in 1820, and died at that place in 1824.
Isaac and Elizabeth had children named: Alexander Stark, born between 1785 & 1790; Maria Stark, born between 1790 & 1800, Catherine Stark, born between 1790 & 1800; George Stark, born in 1795 in New Jersey; Eliza Stark, born between 1795 and 1800; Reed Stark, born in 1802; Isaac Stark, Junior, born in 1803; and Amy Stark, born in 1811.

Discussion of CRS Entries for Isaac Stark
Because the genealogical order in which Isaac has been presented by most researchers has been influenced by the Charles R. Stark text published in 1927 titled, “The Aaron Stark Family, Seven Generations, “ my arguments supporting or disproving the hypothesis must start with a discussion of this text
The CRS text, on page 8, reported Isaac Stark, ID#40, was the son of Aaron Stark, ID#8, and his spouse, Margaret Wells (See notes for Aaron Stark for surname of Margaret). If this Isaac Stark was the son of this couple, he would have most likely been born before 1730, which would not fit the above hypothesis which reports Isaac‘s birth between 1756 and 1760. Therefore, did Aaron and Margaret have a son named Isaac born, say between 1708 and 1730?
There is no evidence of such a birth in New London County, Connecticut, and non in New Jersey. The earliest reference, to my knowledge, of an Isaac Stark in Morris County, New Jersey was in the Will of Amos Stark, probated September 18, 1767, which stated Isaac Stark was a son of Amos Stark of Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey. [Note 1] I believe the Isaac Stark mentioned in the will of Amos Stark was most likely Isaac Stark, ID#40, misplaced in the genealogical order in the CRS text. Isaac Stark, ID#40 should have been reported as a son of Amos Stark, ID#39, who, from earlier arguments (See notes for Amos Stark), was a son of the above Aaron Stark and Margaret Wells.
To further support this argument, on page 15 CRS reported Amos Stark, ID#39, did have a son named Isaac Stark, ID#110. Looking at the CRS entries for Isaac Stark, ID#110 on page 27, I found CRS reported he was born in 1803 and had a son named Aaron Stark, ID#301, born in February of 1834. As is clearly evident, the will of Amos Stark, ID#39, was probated in September of 1767 and we must presume he was most definitely deceased before the year 1803 and must question the placement of Isaac Stark, ID#110 in the genealogical order and even question if there was such a person. Therefore, the entries on pages 8, 15, and 27 for the name Isaac Stark must be examined for inaccuracies as presented for these individuals.
The CRS text, on pages 15 and 16, reports Isaac Stark, ID#40, married Elizabeth Reed. They had children named: Alexander, ID#113; George, ID#114; Reed, ID#115; Aaron, ID#116 born Mary 5, 1804; Maria, ID#117; Catherine, ID#118; Eliza, ID#119; and Amy, ID#120. On page 28, CRS has the following entries:
Alexander, ID#113 had a son named Charles.

Reed, ID#115 had children named Isaac, ID#308; Horace, ID#309; and George, ID#310.

Aaron, ID#116, was born May 5, 1804 and died in January of 1864. He married Mary Hunt. Their children were: J. H. Stark, ID#311, born February 19, 1830; and William Stark, ID#312, born February 18, 1834. CRS had this note for Aaron; “Aaron Stark married Mary Hunt, who was born in Junius, N. Y., June 13, 1805. He died in January, 1864, and is buried at Oxford, Erie County, Ohio.”
Clearly, if Isaac was a son of Aaron Stark, ID#8, and Margaret Wells, he would seem to be quite old to have a son named Aaron born in 1804, assuming he was born before 1730. Was there an Aaron Stark born in 1804 who married Mary Hunt? Later in the discussion, proof will be presented which provides confirmation the data presented on Aaron Stark, ID#116, was accurate, and most likely links him to Isaac Stark and Elizabeth Reed. According to the 1850 census for Erie County, Ohio, there was a man named Aaron Stark, age 45, married to a woman named Mary, age 44, both of whom were born in New York and had a 16 year old son named William. Furthermore, referring to the same 1850 census, there was a man named Reed Starks, age 48, born in New York, who had sons named Horace and George who was probably Reed Stark, ID#115 reported in the CRS text.
In an affidavit made by Henry Clark in order to obtain a pension (preserved with others by Hon. Lewis Condict), he says he enlisted at Mendham in January 1776 for three years, in Captain Noadiah Wade’s company, with Abram Hudson, Stephen Leonard, Stephen Frost, John Doughty, William Minthorn, Isaac Stark, William Brown, John Payne and others whom he did not recollect. [Note 2] Speculating Isaac Stark was the same Isaac Stark mentioned in the will of Amos Stark, then he was born before 1760 for the above men had to be 16 years old to enlist, which supports the later year of birth presented in the hypothesis. From earlier discussion, Amos Stark married Hannah Goble after 1761and if Isaac was a son of Amos, then his mother was Amos’ unknown first wife.
Having at this time no military record for Isaac, I would presume he did his duty with honor and was duly recorded as a veteran of the Revolutionary War. Other than the above two references to Isaac Stark in Morris County, New Jersey, the name disappears from the record in that place, at least to my knowledge.
My conclusions, although not conclusive and only based on the above available data, would support the argument Isaac Stark, reported as ID#40 in the CRS text was not a son of Aaron Stark and Margaret Wells, but a son of Amos Stark, ID#39, and his unknown first wife and was misplaced in the genealogical order. Further more, Isaac Stark, ID#110, was either misplaced or did not exist. More on this later.
Did Isaac Stark who married Elizabeth Reed Move to Cayuga County, New York?
The 1800 census does report a Isaac Stark living in Sempronius, Cayuga County, New York.
=========================
Source: 1800 Census, Sempronius, Cayuga County, New York
National Archives Roll M32_28, page 680
Head of the house: Isaac Starks (Born Between 1756 & 1774)
Males
Under 10 yrs: 1(George Stark)
10 thru 15 yrs: 1(Alexander Stark)
26 thru 44 yrs: 1 (Isaac Stark)
Females
Under 10 yrs: 2 (Maria Stark) (Catherine)
26 thru 44 yrs: 1(Elizabeth Reed)
Using the names of children of Isaac Stark, ID#40 reported in the CRS text and their order as a guide to the oldest to the youngest, I’ve speculated which children would be represented in the given age groups. If Isaac was head of the house and between 26 and 44 years of age, then he was born between 1756 and 1774. If my presumption this was Isaac Stark who joined the militia in 1776 with Henry Clark, then he was born before 1760 ruling out the years between 1761 and 1774 as possible years of birth. Therefore, speculating the two men named Isaac Stark are the same person, he was born between the years 1756 and 1760, as stated in the hypothesis. Note the surname of Isaac had the “s” added at the end.
However, Isaac’s parentage, as hypothesized, can be questioned base on this census, for there were four Stark families reported on this page, all living next door to each other. The first to be reported was Aaron Starks, born before 1755. On the next line was Aaron Starks, Junior, born between 1756 & 1774. Next in order was Isaac followed by John Starks, born between 1756 & 1774. They could all have been related, the oldest, Aaron Stark born before 1755, being the father of three sons. Another reason for believing Isaac could be a son, would be the 1811 probate record in Seneca County related to Aaron Stark, deceased who named Isaac Stark as administrator of his estate. [Note 4] Having not seen the original, I cannot say with certainty Isaac was a son or a close relative. However, until further proof becomes available, I will speculate the oldest Aaron Stark was Aaron Stark, ID#100, and as presented earlier (See notes for Aaron Stark who married Elizabeth Young), was married to Elizabeth Young and Isaac was a nephew of Aaron Stark and cousin of Aaron Stark, Jr. and John Stark. My reasoning would be if Isaac named in the Amos Stark will and Isaac reported in the 1800 census record are the same person, then he most certainly did not have brothers named Aaron and John. [Note 1]
In 1790, the United States Government set aside a vast area in Western New York State for Veterans of the Revolutionary War. This was done to fulfill the promises of land made to those who served and many young men from New Jersey moved to this wilderness region to claim the property to which they were entitled. Onondaga County, New York had millions of such acres within it’s boundaries in and around Seneca Lake and this region became part of Cayuga County in 1799.
If Isaac Stark served honorably in the Revolutionary War, he was entitled to the land offered in New York and if he was the son of Amos Stark who died in 1767, he most likely received cash for his father’s land for the executors, Aaron Stark and Captain John Brookfield, could sell Amos’ land in Sussex County if they though this was best. Assuming the land had been sold, Isaac would have most assuredly had an interest in taking advantage of claiming land entitled to him by the United States Government.
Isaac Stark, the first to settle near present day Dundee Village, located at that time in Seneca County, New York, was reported to have been from New Jersey. [Note 3] The 1810 census for Junius, Seneca County, New York, reports Isaac Stark was a resident, born before 1765.
Source: 1810 Census, Junius, Seneca County, New York
National Archives Roll M252_36, page 180
Head of the house: Isaac Stark (Born before 1765)
Males
Under 10 yrs: 4 (Reed, Aaron, Isaac, Jr., ??)
10 thru 15 yrs: 1(George)
16 thru 25 yrs: 1(Alexander)
45 and over yrs: 1(Isaac)
Females
10 thru 15 yrs: 1(Eliza)
16 thru 25 yrs: 2 (Maria, Catherine)
45 and over yrs: 1(Elizabeth Reed)
As done for the 1800 census, I have placed the names of children of Isaac reported in the CRS text. Note the age ranges for those born before 1800 for males and females would approximately match, although the name Eliza, added on this census data, should have been born between 1795 and 1800. If true, and Maria and Catherine were born between 1790 and 1794, there should have been 3 females under 10 in the 1800 census. In this census, note there are 4 males under 10 years old. I have speculated 3 were named Reed, Isaac, and Aaron and respectively, Reed was Reed Stark, ID#115, Isaac was Isaac Stark, ID#110, and Aaron was Aaron Stark, ID#116, reported on pages 27 and 28 of the CRS text. Assuming the Isaac Stark reported in 1800 and 1810 are the same person, can these sons reported in the CRS text be linked to Isaac Stark of Cayuga and Seneca Counties, New York.
On page 28, CRS reports Aaron Stark, a son of Isaac and Elizabeth Reed, was born May 5, 1804 and his wife, Mary Hunt, was born in 1805 in Junius, New York, which was also located in Seneca County, New York by 1804. CRS further reports Aaron Stark died in 1864 and was buried in Oxford, Erie County, Ohio. Would it be possible to find supporting evidence of these statements?
Erie County, Ohio was created in 1838 from Huron County. The 1830 census for Huron County reports the following:
Source: 1830 Census, Oxford, Huron County, Ohio
National Archives Roll 133, page 369
Head of the house: Aaron Stark
Males
Under 5: 1
20 to 30: 1
Females
Under 5: 2
20 to 30: 1
Aaron was living between to gentlemen named Jonathan Hunt and “?Alfonzo?” Hunt which would imply they may have been related to Mary Hunt, the spouse of Aaron Stark, ID#116, reported in the CRS text. Note if the male between the ages of 20 and 30 years was the head of the house, then this Aaron Stark would have been born between 1800 and 1810, which would include the day of birth reported for Aaron Stark, ID#116 in the CRS text.
Aaron must have lived in that part of Huron County which was divided to form Erie County in 1838 for the 1850 census reports Aaron Stark was living in Groton, Erie County, Ohio as follows:
Source: 1850 Census, Groton, Erie County, Ohio
National Archives Roll M432_676, page 371
Enumerated November 28, 1850
Line 14, Aaron Starks, 45, m, farmer, $2,500, Born in New York
Line 15, Mary Starks, 44, f, Born in New York
Line 16, Delia Starks, 21, f, New York
Line 17, Hiram Starks, 18, m, Laborer, Ohio
Line 18, William Starks, 16, m, Laborer, Ohio
Line 19, Lewis Starks, 14, m, Ohio
Line 20, Mary Starks, 12, f, Ohio
Line 21, ?Welthez? Starks, 7, f, Ohio
Line 22, James Starks, 5, m, Ohio
Line 23, Reed Starks, 4, m, Ohio
Line 24, Amey Starks, 2, f, Ohio
Note the Enumeration date was November 28, 1850 and Aaron, head of the house, was 45 years old. CRS reports Aaron Stark, ID#116 was born May 5, 1804. The census age would be a close approximation of the expected age reported in the CRS text. This further supports this Aaron Stark could be Aaron Stark, ID#116 reported in the CRS text. Also note we see the “s” added to the end of the surname. The spouse of Aaron Starks was most likely Mary Starks, reported on Line 15. Her age of 44 would be the approximate age reported by CRS and note both Aaron and Mary were born in New York. From the 1830 census, it would appear Aaron and Mary moved to Ohio before that year and from the birth place given for Delia Starks, they must have moved to Ohio about 1829 from New York. Could Reed Starks, age 4, have been named in honor of the mother of Aaron Stark, ID#116, or perhaps named after a beloved brother? Could “Amey” have been given the name of a beloved sister, Amy? Could Hiram Starks, age 18, be J. H. Stark, ID#311 reported on page 28 as a son of Aaron Stark, ID#116? William Stark, age 16, could most certainly be William Stark, ID#312, reported to have been born in 1834 in the CRS text.
From the 1810 census for Junius, Seneca County, New York, reported above, note there were 4 males under 10 years of age, one of whom I speculated was named Reed. As noted above, I have provided a reasonable argument Aaron Stark who married Mary Hunt could be one of the males reported who was under 10 years of age and research has revealed there was a Reed Starks residing in Waterloo, Seneca County, New York in the 1830 census as follows:
Source: 1830 Census, Waterloo, Seneca County, New York
National Archives Roll 109, page 8
Head of the house: Reed Starks (Born between 1800 & 1810)
Males (Under 5: 2)(20 to 30 yrs: 1)
Females (Under 5: 1)(20 to 30 yrs: 1)
The age range of Reed would fit in the age range given for one of Isaac’s male children under 10 in 1810 and his place of residence would certainly place him in the vicinity of the Isaac Stark reported in that census year. Notice Reed’s surname had the “s” added at the end. Now, the 1840 census places a Reed Stark in Oxford, Erie County, Ohio, which would have to be more than coincidental when his proposed brother, Aaron, was also living at that place in 1830, although at that time it was Oxford, Huron County, Ohio.
Source: 1840 Census, Oxford, Erie County, Ohio
National Archives Roll 392, page 280
Head of the House: Reed Starks (Born between 1800 & 1810)
Males (under 5 yrs: 1)(5 to 10 yrs: 2)(10 to 15 yrs: 3)(30 to 40 yrs: 1)
Females (Under 5yrs: 3)(10 to 15 yrs: 1)(30 to 40 yrs: 1)
In 1850, Reed still lives in Erie County, and we see the names of members of his family for the first time.
Source: 1850 Census, Perkins, Erie County, Ohio
National Archives Roll M432_676, page 95
Enumerated December 16, 1850
Line 31, Reed Starks, 48, m, Farmer, New York
Line 32, Elizabeth C. Starks, 45, f, New York
Line 33, George Starks, 22, m, New York
Line 34, Malinda Starks, 15, f, Ohio
Line 35, Eliza Starks, 13, f, Ohio
Line 36, Horace Starks, 11, m, Ohio
Line 37, ?Souace? Starks, 8, f, Ohio
Line 38, Cathrine M. Starks, 2, f, Ohio
If Reed Starks was 48 years old, then he was born in 1802, placing him in the under 10 age group of males reported living in the home of Isaac in 1810. Although the name Isaac was not reported as a son in 1850, note the names George, age 22, and Horace, age 11. Could these not be the George, ID#310, and Horace, ID#309, reported on page 28 of the CRS text as sons of Reed Stark, ID#115? As additional support Aaron and Reed Starks of Erie County, Ohio were brothers, the text titled “History and Directory of Yates County, New York,” reports on page 1046, “Aaron Stark and his brother, Reed, had moved to the state of Ohio.” [Note 3] As evidence supporting the hypothesis Isaac Stark of Seneca County married Elizabeth Reed, I refer the reader to the same page of this text which reports the spouse of Isaac Stark was Elizabeth Reed. This must have been the source of the CRS text that Isaac Stark, ID#40, married Elizabeth Reed, not to mentioned her son Reed, most likely carried her maiden surname.

Conclusions
Without going further with other examples of similarities and proofs, my conclusion would be the above hypothesis is possible with some reservation, for Isaac could have been a son of Aaron Stark and Elizabeth Young. However, the family of Isaac Stark, ID#40, was accurately reported in the CRS text, with the exception of a son named Isaac Stark, Junior. I believe the Isaac Stark, ID#110, born in 1803 reported on page 27, was incorrectly placed and should have been reported as a son of Isaac Stark, ID#40. As already related, CRS reported Isaac, ID#110 was a son of Amos Stark, ID#39, who, as already reported, died in 1767. I believe CRS intended for Isaac Stark, ID#110, to be a son of Isaac Stark, ID#40, and for Isaac Stark, ID#40, to be a son of Amos Stark, ID#39, instead of a son of Aaron Stark, ID#8, and Margaret Wells. As for the son Aaron, ID#301, reported on page 27 to be a son of Isaac, ID#110, at this time I believe he was also misplaced, proof, if found, to be addressed at a later date.

Sources & Notes
1) (Lib. 1, p. 159) 1767, Aug. 26. STARK, Enos (Amos), of Morristown, Morris Co., yeoman; will of: All my lands in this and Sussex Co. to be sold, if my Executors think best. Wife, Hannah, all the personal and real she had when I married her, and £45 beside. Remainder to my children, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; and my Executors are to consider the child that my wife is now pregnant with. Executors - Aaron Stark and Capt. John Brookfield. Witnesses - Job Brookfield, Uzal Tomkins, James Gillispie. Proved Sept. 18, 1767.
2) History of Morris County, New Jersey with Illustrations, and Biographical Sketches of Prominent Citizens and Pioneers, 1739-1882; New York: W.W. Munsell & CO., 1882.
3) History and Directory of Yates County, New York, by Stafford C. Cleveland, first published in 1873 in Penn Yan, New York; © 1995, pages 1046 & 1047.
4) Source: (Lib. 1, p. 159) 1767, Aug. 26. STARK, Enos (Amos), of Morristown, Morris Co., yeoman; will of: All my lands in this and Sussex Co. to be sold, if my Executors think best. Wife, Hannah, all the personal and real she had when I married her, and £45 beside. Remainder to my children, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; and my Executors are to consider the child that my wife is now pregnant with. Executors - Aaron Stark and Capt. John Brookfield. Witnesses - Job Brookfield, Uzal Tomkins, James Gillispie. Proved Sept. 18, 1767.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic